FS: 11x14 Deardorff Marine Corps camera

Old November 14th 05, 11:33 PM

Default FS: 11x14 Deardorff Marine Corps camera

Deardorff wooden field camera built around 1943-1945, in excellent
condition. Bellows were factory replaced around 1980 with green cloth
covered bellows and are in mint condition. Original ground glass,
nickel plated brass hardware; rear swing parts are cast aluminum. No
serial number on the camera, just a 'MC-18' stamped into the wood on
the bottom of the camera. Fantastic camera with a great history.
I have no idea what to ask, but all offers will be considered. I'm
taking pictures of it and they are available on request.

Old November 15th 05, 06:15 PM

More details...It is a folding wooden field camera. The story I was
told was that it was used to photograph beaches and surrounding areas
prior to landings. It also came with a tripod with a bayonet mount on
one of the legs, for obvious reasons. A Marine would run up on shore,
stab the bad guys, take a few negatives and go back to the ship for
development. Then the higher ups would inspect the prints and make
decisions on where to land or go after they landed. This is just what
I've heard, so any input or corrections would be appreciated.

Old November 26th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.large-format

It strikes me as highly unlikely that a large view camera would ever
be used for recon -- they're bulky to carry and very slow to set up
and focus etc. And 11 X 14 is a very large view camera. In addition
to the camera, you'd have to carry film holders and a darkcloth --
very cumbersome.

If you were going to use a large format camera for such a purpose, a
press camera such as Speed Graphic would seem a much better choice.
It's hand-held, and quick to operate. That was a commonly used camera
through the Korean war.

Deardorff 11 X 14s were often used as process cameras. I could see
one being used to copy recon photographs taken with another camera or
for some other repro purpose.

But hey, the military "works in mysterious ways, their wonders to
perform." Anything is possible

Old November 29th 05, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.large-format

Is this camera still for sale?
Does it have the ability to tilt the front of the camera left and right or
is the front mounted on a plain piano hinge, tilts up and down but not left
to right?
Do you have a price and pictures or should I make you an offer?
Please do call.
Best regards,
Andrew Hess
Day phone: 440.329.9484
Evening Phone; 440.327.4870

Old December 5th 05, 05:32 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.large-format

Thanks for all the interest - the camera is sold. - David