pentax 67II vs pentax 67

Old March 3rd 05, 07:16 AM
grilla

Default pentax 67II vs pentax 67

i am a hobbyist that has used a 6 x 9 fuji rangefinder for years. i want to
switch to the pentax 6 x 7 so that i can use multiple lenses. what am i
getting with the 67II that i am not getting in the 67 (and i dont mean just
a newer camera)? in your opinion is the 67II worth the difference?

Old March 3rd 05, 11:03 AM
retoohs

grilla wrote:
i am a hobbyist that has used a 6 x 9 fuji rangefinder for years. i want to
switch to the pentax 6 x 7 so that i can use multiple lenses. what am i
getting with the 67II that i am not getting in the 67 (and i dont mean just
a newer camera)? in your opinion is the 67II worth the difference?

just make sure you get MLU if you decide on an early one

Alan
Old March 4th 05, 01:57 PM
LR Kalajainen

I used the "newer older" model, the Pentax 67 (not 6X7) for years with a
variety of lenses, viewfinders, etc. It's a Sherman tank of a camera,
both in ruggedness and in weight, but never failed to deliver excellent
images. The lenses are superb--my favorites were the 45 and the 135
macro. Its one liability was the vibration caused by mirror flop,
making it a lot less hand-holdable than the Fuji rangefinder (which I
also currently use). I rarely had to lock up the mirror when I used a
tripod unless I was shooting at very slow speeds, but a tripod (sturdy
one) is a must. All in all, it's a great system, and the price is
right, particularly for used equipment.

Robert Feinman wrote:

In article ,
says...

i am a hobbyist that has used a 6 x 9 fuji rangefinder for years. i want to
switch to the pentax 6 x 7 so that i can use multiple lenses. what am i
getting with the 67II that i am not getting in the 67 (and i dont mean just
a newer camera)? in your opinion is the 67II worth the difference?

The auto exposure feature on the model II meter pentaprism finder is
nice.
You set the f stop and it picks the speed. There are also a couple
of options you can set like half step speeds (1/180, for example).

Since both bodies use the same lenses, I doubt you'll see any
differences in the final images.

Old March 5th 05, 06:27 PM
John Fryatt

grilla wrote:
i am a hobbyist that has used a 6 x 9 fuji rangefinder for years. i want to
switch to the pentax 6 x 7 so that i can use multiple lenses. what am i
getting with the 67II that i am not getting in the 67 (and i dont mean just
a newer camera)? in your opinion is the 67II worth the difference?

I think the 67II is an evolution, but a fairly big one all the same.
It's a much nicer camera, in my opinion.
The viewfinder readout, with the auto-exposure 'head', is quite nice,
even if you shot manually.
I haven't tested it but I think the mirror slap is noticeably reduced in
the mkII. The ergonomics of the II are better than the original, and you
can even hand-hold it at a push at it has a nice grip.
The ttl metering is much improved over the old model, although that may
not matter if you use hand meters anyway. I quite like it for close-up
work, perhaps when using tubes, or sometimes just for simplicity. I
never had the old mdoel with the ttl head but it was pretty basic by all
accounts, whereas the new one is nice.

It's difficult to single out any big thing, but in general the mkII is a
better, more 'sorted' camera. As someone else said, I'm not sure the
results would be noticeably better as the lenses are the same. Reduced
mirror slap might have an effect though.
Whether the newer one is worth the price difference is really a personal
thing. Here in the UK the difference is quite large - double, roughly.
My choice would be the 67II. In fact, it was, as I did have a 67 and a
67II, but when I decided to reduce my camera inventory a bit it was the
older body that went.

John
Old March 6th 05, 03:45 AM
Shelley

"grilla" wrote in message
. com...
i am a hobbyist that has used a 6 x 9 fuji rangefinder for years. i want

switch to the pentax 6 x 7 so that i can use multiple lenses. what am i
getting with the 67II that i am not getting in the 67 (and i dont mean

just
a newer camera)? in your opinion is the 67II worth the difference?

No single difference is IMHO really major but taken together the differences
result in the 67II being a more contemporary, user-friendly camera than the
67. The major differences between the 67II with AE pentaprism and the 67
with TTL metering include the following (these are from memory, someone can
correct me if I've gotten something wrong):

(1) Aperture-preferred automatic exposure mode on the 67II in addition to
fully
manual (the 67 is manual only)

(2) Exposre settings are visible in the viewfinder, which eliminates the
need to stand on your tiptoes and peer around to the front of the camera to
check your settings as you do with the 67.

(3) Spot metering, multi-segment metering, and center weighted metering on
the 67II (the TTL prism for the 67 is a simple averaging meter)

(4) Exposure compensation up to +/- 3 EVs with the 67II, no exposure
compensation with the 67 (except by manually adjusting the shutter speed or
aperture of course).

(5) Multiple exposure capability with the 67II, not with the 67.

(6) User adjustable diopter settings with the 67II, not with the 67.

(7) Self timer on the 67II, not on the 67.

Both the 67 and the 67II use the same lenses, which are outstanding, so I
don't think you'll necessarily make better photograhs with the 67II but
you'll have a more contemporary camera than the 67. When the 67II with AE
prism was only available new for about $2,400 and used for about $2,000 I
didn't think the differences were worth the cost. But you now sometimes see
67IIs with AE prisms available on e bay at "buy it now" prices just a little
more than $1,000 and at that price I'd buy it rather than the 67. Of course
there's the more fundamental question of whether you want to buy into the
Pentax 67/67II system at all, given the fact that Pentax apparently has no
plans to make a digital back available for its cameras, but that's a
different question.

Old March 6th 05, 06:36 AM
grilla

as a hobbyist i would never use a digital back anyway. i appreciate all of
the comments here and will be spending the extra $$ for the 67II.

Old March 6th 05, 03:26 PM
Shelley

as a hobbyist i would never use a digital back anyway.

I probably wouldn't either but with sales of medium format film-based stuff
in the tank we may not have much of a choice in the future if we want to
stay with medium format. Mamiya and Hasselblad are facing up to the digital
present and future, as far as I can tell Pentax isn't. I'd feel a lot better
about my sizeable investment in Pentax 67 equipment if Pentax gave some
indication that some day somewhere they might make a digital back available
for it. Whether I'd buy one is doubtful as long as film and chemicals are
available and digital backs stay around their present price range but I'd
like to think I might at least have the option.

I don't mean to start another "will digital replace film"
dialogue/argument/rant, it's just a fact of life that in developed countries
most types of photography are now predominantly digital and all indications
are that they will be even more so in the future. I think that's something
anyone buying into a new medium format system should consider, that's all.

.. .

Old March 6th 05, 07:12 PM
John Fryatt

Shelley wrote:
[...]

I'm with you, in as much as I'm quite happy to continue using my 67II
while film etc. is available.
I'd also be happier if Pentax made some commitment to making a new
digital body for the 6x7 system. A back for existing cameras would be
great, but a whole new digital body would be ok as well, albeit a bit
more costly. In some ways a new body might make more sense as they could
optimise the design for digital.
Old March 10th 05, 10:53 AM
retoohs

The bodies we have now with the possible exception of the 645NII are not
digital compatible. I think there will be new bodies

Alan