FA: Zone VI lensboards

Old January 19th 04, 09:05 PM
rb

Default FA: Zone VI lensboards

Copal 0:
&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Blank Boards:
&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

Old January 20th 04, 06:18 AM
John

Odd. These look exactly like my Kodak lensboards and nothing
at all like my Zone VI boards.

John

Old January 21st 04, 01:24 PM
rb

Curious.Perhaps they fit a Kodak also, but they definitely came from a Zone
VI and fit my Wisner perfectly. I'm surprised at your question. If it
helps and your thinking of purchasing them, I'm in NJ and would be happy to
show them to you. Or if you need further evidence, I can photograph them
fitting on my camera. Is the difference you notice in the color or the
construction? If you could post a photo of your Kodak board, I would find
it interesting to compare. Thanks.
Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=15 24

7

Old January 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
Howard Lester

"rb" wrote

Curious.Perhaps they fit a Kodak also, but they definitely came from a

Zone
VI and fit my Wisner perfectly.

What you are showing are the real Zone VI boards. I have the same boards for
my camera that was made in 1989. There was an earlier "Zone VI" that is
really a Wista. Perhaps that is the camera owned by the other fellow.

Howard

Old January 23rd 04, 05:10 PM
rb

Well, the issue is finally resolved. Thanks for pointing out the error.
They are in fact Wisner lensboards, purchased from Wisner.
They will fit a Zone VI. I've added the correction to the auction
description.

Old January 25th 04, 07:13 AM
John

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 07:04:23 -0700, "Howard Lester"
wrote:

What you are showing are the real Zone VI boards. I have the same boards for
my camera that was made in 1989. There was an earlier "Zone VI" that is
really a Wista. Perhaps that is the camera owned by the other fellow.

Howard

Nope. Mine was made in '95. Got it right before Fred sold out
to Calumet.I believe that there were actually 3 Zone VI cameras. The
Wista's as you mention, the ones that Ron Wisner evidently designed
and built, and the last Zone VI cameras which I believe were modified
by a Russian engineer that Fred hired. I met this engineer along with
Brooks Brown at the Photo Expo show in NYC.

Quoting Wisner "You can tell we built it because the nameplate
says “Built by Wisner Classic Mfg. Co., Inc. for Zone VI Studios”"

Evidently he created 137 cameras for Zone VI though I wonder
if he also didn't sell the plans and surplus parts to Fred as part of
their settlement.

More at http://www.wisner.com/history.htm

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old January 25th 04, 07:17 AM
John

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:10:12 -0500, "rb" wrote:

Well, the issue is finally resolved. Thanks for pointing out the error.
They are in fact Wisner lensboards, purchased from Wisner.
They will fit a Zone VI. I've added the correction to the auction
description.

They are a fantastic value. Sometimes I wish I had stayed with
the 4X5 format but my current format-of-choice is the 5X7.

Old January 25th 04, 11:41 PM
Howard Lester

"John" wrote

Nope. Mine was made in '95. Got it right before Fred sold out
to Calumet.I believe that there were actually 3 Zone VI cameras. The
Wista's as you mention, the ones that Ron Wisner evidently designed
and built, and the last Zone VI cameras which I believe were modified
by a Russian engineer that Fred hired. I met this engineer along with
Brooks Brown at the Photo Expo show in NYC.

Quoting Wisner "You can tell we built it because the nameplate
says "Built by Wisner Classic Mfg. Co., Inc. for Zone VI Studios""

Interesting stuff, thanks. Yes, I do know that Ron Wisner made the first
non-Wista Zone VI's, but I thought they were identical to the one I have. My
understanding is that Ron was too slow making them, so Fred took them on
himself. FWIW, The boards shown on ebay look identical to my "Vermont-made"
Zone VI. Speaking of which, they should have included a bottle of maple
syrup with every camera purchase.

Howard