High Quality CD Slide Show?

Old November 27th 04, 04:14 PM
Pete

Default High Quality CD Slide Show?

I'm trying to create a Video CD slide-show from digital photos, to play on
a DVD player through the TV. Most of the software packages I have tried
produce low resolution results which don't do justice to the photos. Only
one I have found - called Istant PhotoAlbum from Pinnacle - produces good
visual quality. Alas that one has some problems and doesn't recognise my
CD burner! I've tried a package called ProShow from Photodex since their
CompuPic seemed to work OK, but the quality of this is still not good.

Any ideas?
Old November 27th 04, 06:45 PM
Matt Ion

Pete wrote:

I'm trying to create a Video CD slide-show from digital photos, to play on
a DVD player through the TV. Most of the software packages I have tried
produce low resolution results which don't do justice to the photos. Only
one I have found - called Istant PhotoAlbum from Pinnacle - produces good
visual quality. Alas that one has some problems and doesn't recognise my
CD burner! I've tried a package called ProShow from Photodex since their
CompuPic seemed to work OK, but the quality of this is still not good.

Remembering that standard NTSC TVs have only 525 lines of vertical
resolution, you're kind of limited to available quality right there.

That said, most video-editing apps will let you arrange stills in a
slide-show, including tansition effects, soundtrack, etc.
Old November 27th 04, 07:50 PM
tomcas

Pete wrote:
I'm trying to create a Video CD slide-show from digital photos, to play on
a DVD player through the TV. Most of the software packages I have tried
produce low resolution results which don't do justice to the photos. Only
one I have found - called Istant PhotoAlbum from Pinnacle - produces good
visual quality. Alas that one has some problems and doesn't recognise my
CD burner! I've tried a package called ProShow from Photodex since their
CompuPic seemed to work OK, but the quality of this is still not good.

Any ideas?

To get high resolution slide shows burn a DVD not SVCD or VCD and use
Arcsoft DVD Slideshow.
http://www.arcsoft.com/en/support/do...downloadid=218
Old November 27th 04, 07:50 PM
Phil Wheeler

The Ulead product has worked very well for me

http://www.ulead.com/dps/runme.htm

Results are as good as can be expected on a standard TV and better on my
HDTV monitor.

Phil

Old November 27th 04, 08:22 PM
Bob Williams

Pete wrote:
I'm trying to create a Video CD slide-show from digital photos, to play on
a DVD player through the TV. Most of the software packages I have tried
produce low resolution results which don't do justice to the photos. Only
one I have found - called Istant PhotoAlbum from Pinnacle - produces good
visual quality. Alas that one has some problems and doesn't recognise my
CD burner! I've tried a package called ProShow from Photodex since their
CompuPic seemed to work OK, but the quality of this is still not good.

Any ideas?

You really don't have to have any special hardware to prepare a
slideshow, if you have a DVD player that is jpeg compatible.
Most DVD players less than 2-3 years old are jpeg compatible.
Just burn your images to a CD like you are going to archive them.
The player will resize the images to fit the screen regardless of the
input size, so I'd recommend that you make your images at least 700 x
525 pixels. I've fed my DVD player 3MP images and it displays them
perfectly.
Of course you realize that a TV set is a very low resolution device. So
don't expect to see Computer Monitor quality.
Bob Williams

Old December 3rd 04, 01:33 AM
Big Bill

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:45:30 GMT, Matt Ion
wrote:

Pete wrote:

I'm trying to create a Video CD slide-show from digital photos, to play on
a DVD player through the TV. Most of the software packages I have tried
produce low resolution results which don't do justice to the photos. Only
one I have found - called Istant PhotoAlbum from Pinnacle - produces good
visual quality. Alas that one has some problems and doesn't recognise my
CD burner! I've tried a package called ProShow from Photodex since their
CompuPic seemed to work OK, but the quality of this is still not good.

Remembering that standard NTSC TVs have only 525 lines of vertical
resolution, you're kind of limited to available quality right there.

That said, most video-editing apps will let you arrange stills in a
slide-show, including tansition effects, soundtrack, etc.

VCD (Video CD) quality is less than VHS quality; that will explain the
lack of photo quality.
Software can't make up for that; for higher quality, a DVD burner is
the ticket.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old December 3rd 04, 08:55 AM
Mike F

I have been using Proshow Gold ( Photodex ) for a number
of projects recently (DVD's for the kids soccer teams) and
have been very happy with the quality of the pictures, but
that is burning to a DVD not a VCD. May as well get a DVD
recorder for your system -- decent ones can be had for less
than $100 and the media is reasonable now too.

mikey

Old December 7th 04, 10:59 PM
Pete

Thanks all for the suggestions. Arcsoft DVD Slideshow did the trick.

Pete