50mm, f/1.2 vs f/1.4

Old July 6th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ji

Default 50mm, f/1.2 vs f/1.4

Hi
I'm hoping to find if there is that much difference between an f/1.2 and an
f/1.4 lens for shooting in dim light. The lenses I am writing about are the
Canon 50mm f/1.2L USM AF lens (about $1,400) and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
lens (about $300) I realize that their is a big difference in quality, but
their also is a big difference in price. Would I be getting that much more
for the money? I'm not a pro, I'm just trying to get more light for indoor
shots without using my flash.Are there any other good f/1.2 lenses
available?
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Old July 6th 07, 06:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Malcolm Smith

I have a 50 f1.4 and intend to purchase a f.1.2 which I have tried and
found incredibly sharp. Although there is only a little difference in light
gathering of both lenses the f1.2 is an L lens and I have found these to be
very good wide open in low light situations (but have not actually tried
this aspect of the 50mm f.12 lens) the f.1.2 is sharper than the f.1.4.
Another good f1.2 lens is Canons 85mm f1.2 L which I have recently purchased
and it is noticeably sharper than, for example, the 24-70 f2.8L.
regards
Malcolm
news

Old July 6th 07, 07:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Burdett

"ji" jimpict.comcast.net wrote in message
news
Hi
I'm hoping to find if there is that much difference between an f/1.2 and
an
f/1.4 lens for shooting in dim light. The lenses I am writing about are
the
Canon 50mm f/1.2L USM AF lens (about $1,400) and the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
lens (about $300) I realize that their is a big difference in quality,
but
their also is a big difference in price. Would I be getting that much more
for the money? I'm not a pro, I'm just trying to get more light for indoor
shots without using my flash.Are there any other good f/1.2 lenses
available?
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Why not get the Canon EF50mm 1.8. Sharp as a tack photos for around $100.
Don't forget..it's the person behind the lens more than the lens itself.
Paul

Old July 6th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Addenuff

Hi, Paul,

"Don't forget..it's the person behind the lens more than the lens itself."

Rubbish

No matter how good you are behind the lens a poor lens is a poor lens, a
good lens is a good lens and an L series Canon lens is something else.

If it were "the person behind the lens more than the lens itself." do you
really think so many Canon lens users (and Nikon ones with Nikons "better"
lenses) would save and spend on a L series lenses when something of similar
focal length, if not aperture could be bought for far less? I know,
there'll always be those with more money than sense but the rest of us will
always struggle to afford the best...... and appreciate it when we
eventually part with an bucket full of cash for a rather small, slightly
heavier box containing our latest fix of reinvigourated enthusiasm and head
full of inspiration for the eagerly anticipated great pictures......

This nonsense about the photographer and his/her equipment is just that. I
can take pictures with my old lenses and some are OK, a few are good and
maybe one or two are great, in my opinion, but I once borrowed and L series
lens and lo and behold, detail, colour, contrast were far better, post
processing took far less time and effort and I was able to make a far better
print because of the equipment. They also "felt" better, more tactile,
joyously smooth, beautiflly weighted and balanced in the hand. Just using
the thing made me feel good, sad I know but better, if not cheaper, than
drugs or a shrink!

In many cases the equipment is better than the photographer, by far...... or
maybe that's just me!

Granted you need a photographer to choose the direction in which he points
his lens, who chooses the time at which it is best to press the shutter and
make the most appropriate selection of camera controls but the picture is
far more likely to be be better with better equipment than without.

Wish I could afford the best, I can't and it's no big deal but I don't kid
myself that my images would not benefit from a FF sensor, and a set of very
high, "professional" quality lenses that would need a very big bag and
exceedingly strong shoulders to carry about!!!!!!!

Anyone can dream but only a fool ignores the fact that the best is better
than the rest! We may only ever aspire to ownership but it's great to know
that my photograph isn't as good as his because he had this that and the
other. That excuse is a good one till you do have the gear, that's when you
discover how good you really are.... or not.....!

The person behind the lens is very important but ultimately he's more often
disappointed than thrilled at his results, especially with this darned
internet thing showing us "great" with a little searching and "better than
any of mine" on every site. However, as his experience increases and his
gear gets better, if his enjoyment remains the same he's lost nothing, but
if his enjoyment increases and his results improve, who takes the credit,
the man or the gear?
Then when you are seen with some long white lump of hard earned and dearly
paid for lens you are without excuse! Indeed, you are expected to deliver
better images than your mate with something you had just a few years ago.

"....it's the person behind the lens more than the lens itself.... " I don't
think so! Except for this, the lens doesn't get up an hour before dawn to
get to that specatcular location..... sadly, nor do I as often as I go to
sleep intending to! But, I'm getting better...... so's my gear.

Oh, and I had a 50mm 1.8, now my son has it and I have a 50mm 1.4 and it's
great, far, far superior to the 1.8. Three times better? Easily! Is the
1.2L three or four times better than the 1.4? I don't know but given the
option I'd always have it in preference. I'd buy a 1.2L this afternoon if I
could afford it and if I had everything else I'd like. But I don't and I'm
happy with the 1.4, but I'm able to use flash indoors if I need it, but it's
different for the OP as he doesn't want to use flash so if he doesn't get
the 1.2L it'll be because he can't afford it, not because he doesn't want
it. Mind you, I'm constantly amazed at how little light it takes for the
1.4 to shine so the 1.2 must be amazing!

Cheers
DP

u...

Old July 6th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
pixel_a_ted

On Jul 6, 12:25 am, "ji" jimpict.comcast.net wrote:
Hi
I'm hoping to find if there is that much difference between an f/1.2 and an
f/1.4 lens for shooting in dim light.

I have no experience with either lens, but the f/1.2 should collect
36% more light, all else being equal. But sometimes all else is not
equal. If there's a lot of light falloff in the corners with the f/1.2
lens, then you're really only getting f/1.2 in the center of the
image.

Old July 6th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Jul 6, 6:53 pm, "Addenuff" wrote:

This nonsense about the photographer and his/her equipment is just that. I
can take pictures with my old lenses and some are OK, a few are good and
maybe one or two are great, in my opinion, but I once borrowed and L series
lens and lo and behold, detail, colour, contrast were far better, post
processing took far less time and effort and I was able to make a far better
print because of the equipment.

Out of curiosity, what lenses are we talking about? The difference
between my worst and best lenses are far from as dramatic as you say
(but I don't have any bad lenses).

But I don't and I'm
happy with the 1.4, but I'm able to use flash indoors if I need it, but it's
different for the OP as he doesn't want to use flash so if he doesn't get
the 1.2L it'll be because he can't afford it, not because he doesn't want
it. Mind you, I'm constantly amazed at how little light it takes for the
1.4 to shine so the 1.2 must be amazing!

It's 1/5 stop faster. So if you would have needed 1/100s with an f-
stop of f/1.4, you'll be able to use 1/115s with an f-stop of f/1.2.
As for optical performance, I have never used either (I don't have a
canon camera), but one can look at eg photozone.de for tests or just
find full-size photographs on the web and look at them.

Old July 6th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Adrian Boliston

"Paul Burdett" wrote in message
u...

Why not get the Canon EF50mm 1.8. Sharp as a tack photos for around $100.
Don't forget..it's the person behind the lens more than the lens itself.

There is probably not that much difference in picture quality between the
1.8, 1.4 & 1.2, but as with all lenses you will pay a *lot* more for the
faster glass, and will get those low light shots without having to lower
shutter speed or increase ISO, so in demanding situations the fast glass
will always win. Just be prepared to pay a lot of money and be prepared to
lug around quite a heavy lens (compared with standard 50's).

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old July 6th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Miller

It's 1/5 stop faster. So if you would have needed 1/100s with an f-
stop of f/1.4, you'll be able to use 1/115s with an f-stop of f/1.2.
As for optical performance, I have never used either (I don't have a
canon camera), but one can look at eg photozone.de for tests or just
find full-size photographs on the web and look at them.

I'm not all that good with numbers, but if my math is correct, it is about
1/2 stop faster: f/1.0 would be a full stop faster.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com

Old July 6th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

On Jul 6, 11:02 pm, "Eric Miller"
wrote:
It's 1/5 stop faster. So if you would have needed 1/100s with an f-
stop of f/1.4, you'll be able to use 1/115s with an f-stop of f/1.2.
As for optical performance, I have never used either (I don't have a
canon camera), but one can look at eg photozone.de for tests or just
find full-size photographs on the web and look at them.

I'm not all that good with numbers, but if my math is correct, it is about
1/2 stop faster: f/1.0 would be a full stop faster.

Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

Oops yes, I forgot to multiply by 2; so it's .44 stops (and not .22
stops as I said), ie close to 1/2 stop indeed; it'll let you use
1/140s instead of 1/100s, or ISO 1000 instead of 1400 etc. Thanks!

Old July 6th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pat

On Jul 6, 10:53 am, "Addenuff" wrote:
Hi, Paul,

[...]

Gee. I guess all of those old, expensive soft-focus lenses were a
waste of money.

Oh wait, no.

Given the choice of a good photographer with a bad lens and a bad
photographer with a good lens, the photographer will make the
difference every time. Heck, if the photographer is really good, he/
she wouldn't even need a lens to outshoot most people.

Canon 50MM f1.8 VS Nikon 50MM f1.8 ? netkiller 35mm Photo Equipment 25 November 28th 05 05:52 PM
Canon 50mm f/1.4 vs 50mm f/1.8 David Geesaman Digital SLR Cameras 8 June 12th 05 10:00 PM
50mm f1.8? Stacey Digital Photography 30 February 22nd 05 01:44 PM
Nikon 50mm f4.0 vs. 50mm f2.8 Shawn H In The Darkroom 35 March 7th 04 03:01 AM
FA: 50mm Leica Summitar 50mm F2 lens No reserve Roy Roberts 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 July 7th 03 04:00 AM