Different Formats for Different Countries -- Variable Density B&W Film

Old November 1st 06, 10:41 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
Chris Hills

Default Different Formats for Different Countries -- Variable Density B&W Film

In message coh.net,
Philip Homburg writes
In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:
I would say it's more precise, but not more natural.
Listing my height as 1.8292682927 meters instead of
simply noting I'm 6 feet even seems rather clumsy..

So, you are exactly 6 feet, 1/54.239581" high. Wow, how did measure that?

If it wasn't so sad, it would funny how many people don't understand
significant digits, and make a fool of themselves by holding that against
the metric system.

Exactly... I am 6 feet or 1.8 metres either is just as accurate.

It is irrelevant as the whole world is metric apart from *some parts* of
the USA.

To come back to the original questions on paper the whole world uses A4
etc including the parts of the US that need to work internationally.

It is only time before the fits in with the rest of the world.

BTW I did hear that just after the US announced that it was building a
Communist-Berlin style Iron Curtain wall between the US and Mexico the
Canadians started surveying for a wall on their southern border too.
:-)

/\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Old November 1st 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
Morgan Montague

"Chris Hills" wrote in message
In message coh.net,
Philip Homburg writes
In article ,
Tom Phillips wrote:
I would say it's more precise, but not more natural.
Listing my height as 1.8292682927 meters instead of
simply noting I'm 6 feet even seems rather clumsy..

So, you are exactly 6 feet, 1/54.239581" high. Wow, how did measure that?

If it wasn't so sad, it would funny how many people don't understand
significant digits, and make a fool of themselves by holding that against
the metric system.

Exactly... I am 6 feet or 1.8 metres either is just as accurate.

This is why I like film: It's 35mm wide (metric) but travels at 90 feet
(English) per second in cameras and projectors.

Morgan

Old November 1st 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 21:15:54 -0500, Raphael Bustin
wrote:

Ah yes, it's been a while since you had a good
anti-boomer rant, John. We surely are the root
of all evil. I for one have every intention of
stealing as much as I can of your inheritance.

Don't worry. Dubya's doin' it for ya !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old November 1st 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
John

wrote:

Ah yes, it's been a while since you had a good
anti-boomer rant, John. We surely are the root
of all evil. I for one have every intention of
stealing as much as I can of your inheritance.

And I might be wrong but aren't you more than a little untraditional ?

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old November 1st 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Chris Hills spake thus:

It is irrelevant as the whole world is metric apart from *some parts* of
the USA.

Huh? Where are the "other parts" of the US that have gone metric? I know
of none. Please enlighten me.

To come back to the original questions on paper the whole world uses A4
etc including the parts of the US that need to work internationally.

I challenge you to find any business in the US, any office, that
*doesn't* use 8-1/2" x 11" paper in their office printers, for
correspondence, billing, etc. I have *never* seen anyone here who uses
A4. It's a virtually unknown paper size here. Where are you getting your
information?

It is only time before the fits in with the rest of the world.

Maybe.

BTW I did hear that just after the US announced that it was building a
Communist-Berlin style Iron Curtain wall between the US and Mexico the
Canadians started surveying for a wall on their southern border too. :-)

They ought to, if they're smart.

Just for the record, I share your antipathy for this "separation
barrier", which is just as wrong-headed as the Berlin Wall, or, more
pointedly, the Israeli wall around the Occupied Territories. But that's
a separate rant for another day.

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Old November 1st 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
rafe b

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I challenge you to find any business in the US, any office, that *doesn't*
use 8-1/2" x 11" paper in their office printers, for correspondence,
billing, etc. I have *never* seen anyone here who uses A4. It's a
virtually unknown paper size here. Where are you getting your information?

We're in the business of developing printers and MFPs
for outfits like Canon, Lexmark, Dell, KM, et. al. We
have to keep all of the metric paper sizes in stock. Next
to LTR, A4 is the most popular size around our office.
Our OEMs and ODMs in Asia do most of their testing
on A4.

Like I said -- A4 comes in real handy for printing any
image in a 2:3 aspect ratio. Much better than LTR.
(LTR=Letter size=8.5x11")

A4 is "unknown" to most Americans because Americans
choose to be ignorant about the rest of the world.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old November 1st 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
rafe b

wrote:

Ah yes, it's been a while since you had a good
anti-boomer rant, John. We surely are the root
of all evil. I for one have every intention of
stealing as much as I can of your inheritance.

And I might be wrong but aren't you more than a little untraditional ?

I might take that as a compliment but I doubt you
meant it as such. What exactly do you mean by
that, anyway?

And yes, I'm sure you're right -- Dubya will surely
get his cut (of your inheritance) long before I do.

I plan to squander mine on digital gear. The plan
is already well underway.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old November 1st 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

rafe b spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I challenge you to find any business in the US, any office, that *doesn't*
use 8-1/2" x 11" paper in their office printers, for correspondence,
billing, etc. I have *never* seen anyone here who uses A4. It's a
virtually unknown paper size here. Where are you getting your information?

We're in the business of developing printers and MFPs
for outfits like Canon, Lexmark, Dell, KM, et. al. We
have to keep all of the metric paper sizes in stock. Next
to LTR, A4 is the most popular size around our office.
Our OEMs and ODMs in Asia do most of their testing
on A4.

Well, you're something of an anomaly because you're in the business of
developing printers. I'm talking about the vast majority of businesses
which are *users* of printers.

Like I said -- A4 comes in real handy for printing any
image in a 2:3 aspect ratio. Much better than LTR.
(LTR=Letter size=8.5x11")

Notice that nowhere did I argue the relative merits of U.S. letter vs.
A4. I'm sure that A4 is inherently beautiful and prolongs the longevity
of its users through its magical "golden proportion" qualities.

Old November 1st 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
rafe b

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Well, you're something of an anomaly because you're in the business of
developing printers.

That's me, a walking anomaly.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Old November 1st 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.arts.movies.tech,alt.photography,alt.photography.schools.nyip,rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

rafe b spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Well, you're something of an anomaly because you're in the business of
developing printers.

That's me, a walking anomaly.

Take it as a compliment, I guess.