500x700 pixels quality print

Old April 4th 05, 08:05 AM
Scott W

Martik wrote:
Here is a link to the image (1st one) http://www3.telus.net/martik/

I believe it was resized from a larger original and will be printed

at a
lab.

It won't look good, but not too bad, as long as you don't look very
close, well not even a little close. Normally I would say to up-sample
and then try to sharpen a bit, even with a great photo this is very
limited, but what you are working with has some pretty large jpg
artifacts with really limits sharpening.

But a 4 x 6 print is cheap so give it a try and see what it looks like.

Scott

Old April 4th 05, 10:14 AM
Ron Hunter

Martik wrote:
I only have a 500x700 pixel image to process. How will this look on a 4x6
print?

Not very good. If you have a really good program to resize it, you
might not find it too objectionable, but it will lack detail.

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 4th 05, 10:17 AM
Ron Hunter

Martik wrote:
Here is a link to the image (1st one) http://www3.telus.net/martik/

I believe it was resized from a larger original and will be printed at a
lab.

They don't look bad on the screen, so you should be able to get prints
that will serve the intended purpose. I take it you aren't planning to
try to get them published in a car mag...

--
Ron Hunter
Old April 4th 05, 04:46 PM

It will probably look like crap. First off, there will be some cropping
or some stretching involved because 500 X 700 does not have the same
aspect ration (ratio of length to width) of a 4x6. That aside, you
probably need more pixels for a decent print. Maybe you could print it
out smaller (not enlarged), then scan that with a scanner at a very
high resolution 600-900+ dpi?

Old April 4th 05, 05:33 PM
ASAAR

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 23:33:40 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

Print it on 5x7 paper. The last thing it needs is to be
cropped down to 466x700 to fix 4x6 paper.

I was also about to suggest a size other than 4x6, because you'd
lose less by picking a size with a closer aspect ratio to 5x7. My
suggestion would have been to use 3 1/2x5 paper. 5 x 7 might make
the lack of detail a bit too obvious, and 3 1/2 x 5 (5.0 x 7.14) is
very close to 5 x 7's perfectly matched aspect ratio. Trailing far
behind is 4 x 6 (5.0 x 7.5) so that size paper would waste even more
of its limited detail due to trimming. Martik only asked how 4x6
would look, so either 3 1/2x5 or 5x7 might be acceptable.

Old April 4th 05, 05:40 PM
Jim

"Martik" wrote in message
newsA44e.150753$gJ3.86805@clgrps13...
I only have a 500x700 pixel image to process. How will this look on a 4x6
print?

For starters, the aspect ratio will not permit printing to a 4x6 size.
Next, the pixel per inch count will be quite low. You may be able to see
the pixels. It is possible to help this problem with interpolation.
Jim