500x700 pixels quality print

Old April 4th 05, 06:50 AM
Martik

Default 500x700 pixels quality print

I only have a 500x700 pixel image to process. How will this look on a 4x6
print?

Old April 4th 05, 07:02 AM
Julian Tan

Hey Martik,

I would say not to get your hopes up too much. You really need at
least 1280x1024 to get an acceptable 6x4. Most photo printing sites
warn you about that before you upload an image.

If you only have a 500x700 though, I guess then you've got no choice.
It may not be as bad though - you shoud still be able to make out
detail, just the photo might be a bit "pixelly".

Cheers,
Julian
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest digital photography forums
on the net!

Old April 4th 05, 07:04 AM
Julian Tan

I should add too that on a dye sub printer, it may not be as bad, as
their "droplets" are bigger. If you use inkjet, you'll probably notice
the quality difference right away.

Old April 4th 05, 07:20 AM
Scott W

To start off that is a pretty low pixel count for an image that size.
Whether it will look at all good depends on how good the pixels are,
not all pixels are the same, if the source was down sampled from a
larger image and if the down sampling was done well it will do better
then it if was straight out of a digital camera, which is unlikely
given the odd size.

Scott

Old April 4th 05, 07:29 AM
Martik

Here is a link to the image (1st one) http://www3.telus.net/martik/

I believe it was resized from a larger original and will be printed at a
lab.

Old April 4th 05, 07:33 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

In article pA44e.150753$gJ3.86805@clgrps13,
"Martik" wrote:

I only have a 500x700 pixel image to process. How will this look on a 4x6
print?

Depends on how closely you look at it. It will probably look great from
several feet away but it's going to look bad at arm's length.

Print it on 5x7 paper. The last thing it needs is to be cropped down to
466x700 to fix 4x6 paper.
Old April 4th 05, 07:43 AM
Lionel

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 05:50:13 GMT, in pA44e.150753$gJ3.86805@clgrps13,
"Martik" said:

I only have a 500x700 pixel image to process. How will this look on a 4x6
print?

Lousy.

Old April 4th 05, 08:03 AM
Martik

"Julian Tan" wrote in message
oups.com...
I should add too that on a dye sub printer, it may not be as bad, as
their "droplets" are bigger. If you use inkjet, you'll probably notice
the quality difference right away.

Cheers,
Julian
http://www.shuttertalk.com - the friendliest digital photography forums
on the net!

Could I simulate the 'print' using irfanview and screen resolution:

ie upsize the pic to 1024x768 with 1280 x 1024 display res?

Old April 4th 05, 08:05 AM
Scott W

Martik wrote:
Here is a link to the image (1st one) http://www3.telus.net/martik/

I believe it was resized from a larger original and will be printed

at a
lab.

It won't look good, but not too bad, as long as you don't look very
close, well not even a little close. Normally I would say to up-sample
and then try to sharpen a bit, even with a great photo this is very
limited, but what you are working with has some pretty large jpg
artifacts with really limits sharpening.

But a 4 x 6 print is cheap so give it a try and see what it looks like.

Scott