500D and 70-200 For Macro

Old November 7th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

Default 500D and 70-200 For Macro

I've never really been into macro, but after seeing some of the photos on
juzaphoto it seems like there's a whole new world out there with macro I've
yet to experiment with. So, instead of buying a macro lens, I am
considering using a 500D on a 70-200. It seems that it will only make it
half life size (0.50) @ 200mm, but has the advantage of maybe having a
better working distance and also won't take up much room in the bag meaning
I will always have it with me.

The other option is using Kenko extension tubes on my 50mm lens, whereby
using the 36 and 12 extension tubes will effectively make it just under life
size, but is maybe not as flexible and will suffer from more light loss than
the 500D.

I know the 500D is no replacement for a proper macro lens, but anyone have
any experience using a 500D with a 70-200?

Old November 7th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
anthony_grimmens

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 20:26:17 -0000, "Paul" wrote:

I've never really been into macro, but after seeing some of the photos on
juzaphoto it seems like there's a whole new world out there with macro I've
yet to experiment with. So, instead of buying a macro lens, I am
considering using a 500D on a 70-200. It seems that it will only make it
half life size (0.50) @ 200mm, but has the advantage of maybe having a
better working distance and also won't take up much room in the bag meaning
I will always have it with me.

Don't waste your time. The amount of aperture-stop needed for the right DOF, and
needing to use a flash at those limited light levels, will make your
macro-photography unnatural and useless and annoying, but for the most
self-deceived amateur. You'll need a good P&S camera with a small sensor to make
your efforts worth anyone's viewing time.

Old November 7th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"anthony_grimmens" wrote in message

[...]

What P&S are you using?

Old November 7th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jürgen Exner

"Paul" wrote:
"anthony_grimmens" wrote in message
.. .

I've never really been into macro, but after seeing some of the photos on
juzaphoto it seems like there's a whole new world out there with macro
I've

self-deceived amateur. You'll need a good P&S camera with a small sensor
to make
your efforts worth anyone's viewing time.

What P&S are you using?

Don't you recognize the troll with the extreme multiple personality
disorder?

jue
Old November 7th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
LloydEvans

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:28:01 -0000, "Paul" wrote:

[...]

You reveal your supreme ignorance. This is true of *ALL* P&S cameras.

Catch up.

Old November 8th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Archibald

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:28:01 -0000, "Paul" wrote:

"anthony_grimmens" wrote in message
.. .

I've never really been into macro, but after seeing some of the photos on
juzaphoto it seems like there's a whole new world out there with macro
I've
yet to experiment with. So, instead of buying a macro lens, I am
considering using a 500D on a 70-200. It seems that it will only make it
half life size (0.50) @ 200mm, but has the advantage of maybe having a
better working distance and also won't take up much room in the bag
meaning
I will always have it with me.

I use the 500D on my 70-300mm and it works great. Very sharp, terrific
working distance for subjects like dragonflies. The 500D is small, a
lot cheaper than a macro lens, and there is no light loss such as you
get with extension tubes. (Plus you would need extension tubes as long
as your arm to be useful at 300mm.)

Archibald
Old November 8th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alexander Owens

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 05:53:07 GMT, Archibald wrote:

On Fri, 7 Nov 2008 21:28:01 -0000, "Paul" wrote:

"anthony_grimmens" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Too bad that you'll never understand the pleasure of working with several
diopters of high-quality close-up lenses plus an excellent telextender on a P&S
camera. It gives you phoenomenal working distance, huge aperture, and great
magnification with a useful DOF. Taking tack-sharp hand-held photos of the heads
of dragonflies in flight with fast shutter speeds without the need of flash is
child's play.

Keep trying with your ancient dslr gear, maybe you'll figure it out one day.

That you bought the wrong kind of camera.

Old November 8th 08, 08:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"LloydEvans" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, but I'm interested in what P&S you use.

Old November 8th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

anthony_grimmens wrote:

You'll need an exceptionally small penis with a small set of nuts
and a giant chip on your shoulder to make
your efforts worth anyone's viewing time.

That's perfectly correct.

Canon 500D l e o Digital SLR Cameras 3 March 25th 06 08:43 PM
FA: Canon 58mm 500D Close up lens Jim Dawson 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 June 7th 05 04:07 AM
FA: Canon 58mm 500D Close up lens Jim Dawson Digital Photo Equipment For Sale 0 June 7th 05 04:07 AM
FA - CANON 500D CLOSE-UP LENS 72mm – LIKE NEW IN BOX ! [email protected] 35mm Equipment for Sale 0 May 24th 04 11:49 AM
WTB: Canon 500D 77mm Filter Garrett General Equipment For Sale 0 May 19th 04 03:02 AM