50D Sample Photo

Old September 18th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

Default 50D Sample Photo

Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the top
left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with the
lens? The top right isn't as bad.

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

Old September 18th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J. Littleboy

"Paul" wrote:
Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
the lens? The top right isn't as bad.

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

Since there isn't anything in focus at the top left or bottom right, there
isn't anything to be said about sharpness. (Other than that it looks
seriously great in the center.)

--
David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 18th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Colin.D

Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem
with the lens? The top right isn't as bad.

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the
same sharpness.

In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
that is as it should be.

Colin D.
Old September 18th 08, 01:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul[_6_]

"Colin.D" wrote in message

Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
the lens? The top right isn't as bad.

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
sharpness.

In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
that is as it should be.

Is it just DOF though? The pot that is up and one to the right from centre
looks sharper than the one that is up and one to the left from centre.

Old September 18th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
NigelCummings

Maybe it was taken with a budget 'kit' lens? Canon lenses are usually pretty
good, but I have noticed soft edges with 'kit' lenses from Canon, Minolta,
Nikon and Pentax.

Probably one of the reasons I always sell any kit lenses I get with any
cameras I buy, immediately, on eBay :-)

Old September 18th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
NigelCummings

Yes I heard their kit lenses can be pretty bad, but having said that I've
had some real stinkers from Nikon, Pentax and Minolta too, in the past.

Old September 18th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ASAAR

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:43:34 +0100, NigelCummings wrote:

Yes I heard their kit lenses can be pretty bad, but having said that I've
had some real stinkers from Nikon, Pentax and Minolta too, in the past.

Which Nikon kit lens(es) would they be? The 18-70, 18-135,
16-85VR and the latest 18-105VR are all considered to be very good
lenses, much better what is expected from kits. Even the 18-55mm
lenses (with and without VR) are regarded as better than average if
you don't mind the "cheap" feel of these cheap lenses, and if you
don't mind that Ken Rockwell really, really likes them. Were
they kit lenses from some a Nikon DSLR dating from before the D70?

Old September 18th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
OldBoy[_2_]

"Colin.D" wrote in message
Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
the lens? The top right isn't as bad.

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
sharpness.

In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
that is as it should be.

Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

Old September 18th 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
NigelCummings

Actually current Nikon kit lenses seem pretty good - I have kept the 18 -
70mm for example as it is an absolute cracker for DX format use, but going
back just a few years. I had some bad experiences with Nikon branded lenses.

I had some F4 bodies stolen whilst working in Prague in 2003, I went out to
a 'so called' recommended Nikon dealer and was persuaded to opt for a a pair
of FM10s. (the only new Nikons he had in stock), they came with some truly
awful zoom lenses (35-70 mm f/3.5-4.8 and Nikkor 70-210 mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom
lenses) which should best be avoided - I later learnt that the FM10 and its
lenses were in fact manufactured by Cosina and rebranded as Nikon/Nikkors.
The build quality was pretty bad too, one of the camera's shutters packed up
after less than a 100 rolls of film, and I succeeded in over tightening a
tripod screw on the other, which resulted in the base plate dropping off!

On another occasion I bought a D50 with a plastic bodied 28-70mm zoom
Nikkor, that was awful too, I could not get edges sharp at any aperture
setting. But fair is fair, I have seen some pretty bad results from kit
lenses supplied on a wide variety of camera marques, so it is not just Nikon
really. The only other 'duff' Nikkor lense I ever bought was the infamous
43-86mm F3.5 Nikkor which I bought in the late nineteen seventiesto use on
my Nikon F2SB - the barrel distortion on that little number had to be seen
to be believed :-)

Old September 18th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:43:16 +0200, "OldBoy" wrote:

"Colin.D" wrote in message
Paul, 9/18/2008 11:50 AM:

Just been looking at a 50D sample photo shot @ f8, and noticed that the
top left and bottom right look particularly soft. Is this a problem with
the lens? The top right isn't as bad.

http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5.../ISO100-01.JPG (4Mb)

This camera is not a point&shoot where everything is more or less the same
sharpness.

In this photo the lantern is very sharp; all other elements of the image
are not in the focal plane -in other words, they are out of focus, and
that is as it should be.

Shot with Ef 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM
1/160s, f/9, focal length 98mm, centre focal point
Subject distance between 3.87 and 4.45m

One of your problems is that the subject is inappropriate for a test
of the kind you are attempting.

Eric Stevens