500mm f/8 with D100?

Old March 13th 05, 02:04 PM
Stuart

Default 500mm f/8 with D100?

I have an old 500mm f/8 Nikon telephoto lens, but I can't figure out how to
get it to work with my D100. Will they "talk" to each other at all?

I'd appreciate any guidance anyone has to offer. Many thanks, Stuart

Old March 13th 05, 02:44 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Stuart" writes:

I have an old 500mm f/8 Nikon telephoto lens, but I can't figure out how to
get it to work with my D100. Will they "talk" to each other at all?

I'd appreciate any guidance anyone has to offer. Many thanks, Stuart

What problem do you have? You won't, I think, have any metering, or
of course any auto-focus. But if you put it in manual mode it should
be fine.
Old March 13th 05, 06:31 PM
Jim

"Stuart" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an old 500mm f/8 Nikon telephoto lens, but I can't figure out how

get it to work with my D100. Will they "talk" to each other at all?

I'd appreciate any guidance anyone has to offer. Many thanks, Stuart

If it is a per AI lens, don't try to attach it.
AI and AI-S lenses work quite well (within the limitations in the manual).
Jim

Old March 13th 05, 06:37 PM
Sheldon

"Stuart" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have an old 500mm f/8 Nikon telephoto lens, but I can't figure out how to
get it to work with my D100. Will they "talk" to each other at all?

I'd appreciate any guidance anyone has to offer. Many thanks, Stuart

I can only comment on the D70. I have a 500mm f/8 Nikon lens, and it works
great with my camera. You MUST put the camera into manual mode, and the
only thing that's automatic is that it will confirm focus. You can use a
handheld meter, guess, or use the LCD on the back to confirm exposures.
Obviously, the only methods you have for exposure are shutter speed, ISO and
the neutral density filter that comes with the lens.