Canon's can't hack bad weather

Old February 9th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_11_]

Default Canon's can't hack bad weather

"DanP" wrote in message
On Feb 9, 1:23 am, RichA wrote:
I'm sure we all remember the reports of Canon failure (pro Canons, not
the 5D II) during this fellow's last trip "down under." People having
to use back up Leica's, old Nikon's just to get some shots.
Second trip to the Antarctic for this guy where Canon's just couldn't
stand up to even modest weather. I've exposed all kinds of cameras
(Olympus, Pentax, Nikon) to rain, cold, etc, and have never had a
failure. Canon apparently stinks for this.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=30920741

obviously this is a stab at chdk.

this hack is intended to give functionality to lower end canon cameras
and is not ported for the canon slr models.

it seems the more expensive canon models dont perform in arctic
conditions.

that is fine with me a and a bunch of other people who dont want to
invest in expensive equipment or take a holiday in antarctica.

therefore the "hack" in your topic title makes no sense. move on,
finding joy in peoples misfortunes is a sad thing.

--------------------------
Canon cameras (5D included) are prone to failure in conditions other brand
DSLRs don't seem to mind. I had the mirror fall out of mine twice. They were
glued in place with sub standard superglue. One of mine also died from over
exposure to moisture (87% humidity). So much for the recommendation you let
the things acclimatize when you take them from air conditioning out to the
environment!

I see in the specs for the 5D II that the mirror is now screwed in place and
there is some minimal "weather sealing" on them. IMO this is far too little
far too late. I had such a bad experience with camera reliability when I
used Canon cameras , I dumped nearly $15k when I changed over to Fuji/Nikon
and think it was one of my better investments.

The Nikon and Fujifilm cameras are (so far) more reliable and all focus
sharply out of the box. The Nikon speedlite system is accurate although not
really a professional system due to their overheating problems but at least
they can be used to light scenes effectively.

Of the 16 Canon SLR/DSLRs I've had, only a lone 40D did not have to go in
for "back focus" adjustments and none of them focused identically with
different "L" series lenses. I probably spent more money on maintenance
(read repairs) in an 8 year period of DSLR ownership than I spent on cameras
in the previous 20 years.

--
D-Mac.info