No more taking pictures of people in public in Europe anymore

Old February 8th 09, 11:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

Default No more taking pictures of people in public in Europe anymore

In message , Mark Thomas
writes
Doug Jewell wrote:
Jeff R. wrote:
Doug Jewell wrote:
Brian Sullivan wrote:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...-of-people-in-
public-in-europe-anymore/

Cool, if I ever go to Europe, I'll be able to sue every
organisation that uses CCTV security.

Sure.
If they do it inside a hospital ward and offer to sell the pix.
As in the story.

Sure that was the circumstances in this case, but if you read the ruling:
"The Court added that effective protection of the right to control
one’s image presupposed, in the present circumstances, obtaining the
consent of the person concerned when the picture was being taken and
not just when it came to possible publication," it said.
that last sentence is the key - they need to obtain consent at the
time the picture is taken, not just at publication. So it is
irrelevant whether they were planning to sell the photo, give it to
the parents for free, display it in the hospital or whatever, it was
the failure to get consent to take the photo that was the issue.
So I'll stand by my original and suggest that any organisation that
records CCTV security footage be sued for doing so without consent.

I think the IANAL principle may apply here...

Obviously the article is very incomplete, and you would need to read
the entire judgement (which may of course be appealed, overturned,
overruled by a higher court..), BUT.. it seems to me that the words
"..in the present circumstances.." may be very important. That might
be interpreted as meaning "in the circumstances of this situation only".

Without seeing the entire text, who knows.

Quite so. Also it appears to be a picture of a single identifiable (as
much as any baby is) person. That person was a minor and permission had
not been sought from the parents. Also it was in a private place.

So as you say without the whole text of the judgement it is meaningless.

Also were they ruling on this specific case or generally? It is not
uncommon for Judges to stipulate that their ruling only applies to the
unique case in front of them and may not be used for precedent. That is
not made clear in the few lines quoted.

Old February 8th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Brian Sullivan

"Chris H" wrote in message
Without seeing the entire text, who knows.

http://cmiskp.echr.coe.int////tkp197...ttachment=true

is the ruling -- in French though -- my French is not up to it.

As someone pointed out the key words limiting the ruling may be "in the
present circumstances"

Old February 8th 09, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-02-07 18:15:42 -0800, "Brian Sullivan"
said:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...urope-anymore/

Ah.

A human rights court suppressing freedom of expression.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the Europeans are loony.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old February 8th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

On 2009-02-07 18:15:42 -0800, "Brian Sullivan"
said:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...urope-anymore/

Ah.

A human rights court suppressing freedom of expression.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the Europeans are loony.

Ah.

An American who didn't read the details before passing comment.

No wonder Europeans consider Americans to be ignorant.

Old February 8th 09, 04:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message
2009020808112916807-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom, C J
Campbell writes
On 2009-02-07 18:15:42 -0800, "Brian Sullivan"
said:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...-people-in-pub
lic-in-europe-anymore/

Ah.

A human rights court suppressing freedom of expression.

No it wasn't read the judgement not the very short report of it.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the Europeans are loony.

The rest of the world does not think the Europeans are loony. At least
not compared to the Americans.

Old February 8th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Pat wrote:
On Feb 7, 9:15 pm, "Brian Sullivan"
wrote:
http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...of-people-in-p...

Absolutely unbelievable. I can't believe they wanted the photographer
to turn over the negatives. I mean ... who uses negatives? That's
unbelievable.

I still shoot slide and negative as well as digital.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 8th 09, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-02-07 18:15:42 -0800, "Brian Sullivan"
said:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...urope-anymore/

Ah.

human rights court suppressing freedom of expression.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the Europeans are loony.

Ah.

An American who didn't read the details before passing comment.

No wonder Europeans consider Americans to be ignorant.

Europeans have thought that since before the founding of the United
States. And yet, they came here by the millions, fleeing just this sort
of oppression.

Things haven't changed since the days of Mark Twain, when a visiting
French journalist sneered, "An American can amuse himself endlessly by
trying to find out who his grandfather was." To which Twain replied,
"And a Frenchman can amuse himself endlessly by trying to find out who
his father was."

Yep. We will always be those ignorant, ill-mannered frontiersmen. How
many times have we had to save Europe now? You all would be living
under Nazi or Communist totalitarianism if it wasn't for us.

Old February 8th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

In message
On 2009-02-07 18:15:42 -0800, "Brian Sullivan"
said:

http://www.inquisitr.com/17518/no-mo...-people-in-pub
lic-in-europe-anymore/

Ah.

A human rights court suppressing freedom of expression.

No it wasn't read the judgement not the very short report of it.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the Europeans are loony.

The rest of the world does not think the Europeans are loony. At least
not compared to the Americans.

If that is so, it is only because we have too many Americans who think
that it is fashionable to emulate the Europeans.

Old February 8th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

On 2009-02-08 08:18:34 -0800, Bruce said:
C J Campbell wrote:

Ah.

human rights court suppressing freedom of expression.

No wonder the rest of the world thinks the Europeans are loony.

Ah.

An American who didn't read the details before passing comment.

No wonder Europeans consider Americans to be ignorant.

Europeans have thought that since before the founding of the United
States. And yet, they came here by the millions, fleeing just this sort
of oppression.

They weren't fleeing oppression. They were the dregs of society, people
who couldn't make a decent living in their home countries.

They didn't just go to America - they went all over the world.

Anyway, thanks for demonstrating that you still haven't read the
details. Perhaps the words were too long, and the concepts too
complicated, to be understood by the product of an American "education".

Old February 8th 09, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce[_4_]

C J Campbell wrote:

If that is so, it is only because we have too many Americans who think
that it is fashionable to emulate the Europeans.

The world has too many Americans. Period.