Check out the comments on dust from this poster

Old March 18th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tom Ross

Default Check out the comments on dust from this poster

On 18 Mar 2007 10:06:08 -0700, "RichA" wrote:

On Mar 18, 11:20 am, Tom Ross wrote:
On 18 Mar 2007 01:59:05 -0700, "RichA" wrote:

Saw this on Dpreview.com:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22482887

Are you "anti-dust control system" types suuurreee the that they
aren't needed?

I am a little suspicious of a woman who "makes her living as
photography [sic]" having problems like this. I'm even more suspicious
of a professional who doesn't know how to avoid, minimize, and correct
a problem like this.

So, given the camera doesn't have dust-control internally, what would
you suggest to avoid dust, a changing bag for lenses like changing
film in cassettes of a large-format camera?

If you need a changing bag, use a changing bag. Whatever works for
you. I've never needed to go to such extremes. Also, when I change
lenses I'm more concerned about damaging a lens than getting dust on
the sensor.

What method to you use to avoid dust ... when you're outside the safe,
sanitary confines of Henry's Camera?

TR

Old March 18th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Sheehy

"Scott W" wrote in news:1174215490.207249.4360
@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

On Mar 17, 10:59 pm, "RichA" wrote:
Saw this on Dpreview.com:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22482887

Are you "anti-dust control system" types suuurreee the that they
aren't needed?

It has been 9 months since I cleaned our 20D and 350D and still not
dust that is a problem. This may be because I rarely shoot slower
then f/16. I use Prime lenses a fair bit so I am always changing
lenses and I do this on the beach, and still no dust problems. Why
some people seem to have so much trouble is a bit of a mystery.

People with big problems probably have lubricants on the sensor. If there
is lubricant on the sensor, any dust that hits it will stay there, and
never leave, until you clean it.

--

John P Sheehy

Old March 19th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Scott W

On Mar 17, 10:59 pm, "RichA" wrote:
Saw this on Dpreview.com:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22482887

Are you "anti-dust control system" types suuurreee the that they
aren't needed?

It has been 9 months since I cleaned our 20D and 350D and still not
dust that is a problem. This may be because I rarely shoot slower
then f/16. I use Prime lenses a fair bit so I am always changing
lenses and I do this on the beach, and still no dust problems. Why
some people seem to have so much trouble is a bit of a mystery.

People with big problems probably have lubricants on the sensor. If there
is lubricant on the sensor, any dust that hits it will stay there, and
never leave, until you clean it.

I would think that any lubricants on the sensor (well cover glass)
would put a
fair bit of haze in the photo.

For what it is worth I notice a big differance between shooting at f/
16 or lower and f/22 to higher. If I
insisted on being able to shoot at f/22 I would no doubt have to do a
lot more cleaning of the sensor.
But I very rarely find the need to show slower then f/16 so life is
good.

Scott

Old March 19th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Mar 18, 2:26 pm, "Pete D" wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 18, 4:58 am, "Pete D" wrote:
Ha ha, so this guy that has posted exactly once on DP Review is the font
of
all knowledge, explains a lot about you Rich.

No, but he has two camera systems, one of which could clearly benefit
from an anti-dust system.
This isn't the first time we've read about Canons being dust-
magnates. The post seemed genuine enough,
so why call the guy a liar?

Never did I call this guy a liar, I I merely pointed out that your
assosiation with him makes you the worlds stupidist man, either that or you
actually made that post on DP Review just to make some sort of idiot point
and that would make you a dirty lying scumbag idiot, probably makes me
equally an idiot for even replying to such a stupid post.

So, er, I posted that on dpreview? Are you Canon whores always so
paranoid?

Old March 19th 07, 09:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Toby[_2_]

"RichA" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 18, 4:58 am, "Pete D" wrote:
Ha ha, so this guy that has posted exactly once on DP Review is the font
of
all knowledge, explains a lot about you Rich.

No, but he has two camera systems, one of which could clearly benefit
from an anti-dust system.
This isn't the first time we've read about Canons being dust-
magnates. The post seemed genuine enough,
so why call the guy a liar?

"Dust magnates"? They get rich on dust, do they?

Toby

Old March 19th 07, 10:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Bean

On 19 Mar 2007 04:57:02 -0500, "Toby"
wrote:

"RichA" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Mar 18, 4:58 am, "Pete D" wrote:
Ha ha, so this guy that has posted exactly once on DP Review is the font
of
all knowledge, explains a lot about you Rich.

No, but he has two camera systems, one of which could clearly benefit
from an anti-dust system.
This isn't the first time we've read about Canons being dust-
magnates. The post seemed genuine enough,
so why call the guy a liar?

"Dust magnates"? They get rich on dust, do they?

Depends on the dust. The shiny yellow stuff can be useful
but it doesn't seem to infest any cameras I use. Maybe I
need a Canon if I want to strike lucky when I clean it :-)

--
John Bean
Old March 19th 07, 12:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
tomm42

On Mar 18, 1:06 pm, "RichA" wrote:
On Mar 18, 11:20 am, Tom Ross wrote:

On 18 Mar 2007 01:59:05 -0700, "RichA" wrote:

Saw this on Dpreview.com:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=22482887

Are you "anti-dust control system" types suuurreee the that they
aren't needed?

I am a little suspicious of a woman who "makes her living as
photography [sic]" having problems like this. I'm even more suspicious
of a professional who doesn't know how to avoid, minimize, and correct
a problem like this.

So, given the camera doesn't have dust-control internally, what would
you suggest to avoid dust, a changing bag for lenses like changing
film in cassettes of a large-format camera?

I shoot primes with my D200, Nikon has antistatic coating on the AA
filter, it is not the sensor you're cleaning, and this seems to work
well, 2 blow outs in a year, that is it. Change lenses all the time
and I'm not all that careful about the changing. There are several
other similar threads going around, looked at my last picture with sky
in it, cranked levels, clean at 200%.

Tom

Old March 19th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Mar 19, 8:59 am, "tomm42" wrote:
On Mar 18, 1:06 pm, "RichA" wrote:

[...]

That's great for you, but does this reduce the importance of those who
have had dust problems?
Besides, the Canons (not Nikons) have been known for sometime as dust
magnets, especially the 5D.

Old March 19th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrey Tarasevich

RichA wrote:
That's great for you, but does this reduce the importance of those who
have had dust problems?
Besides, the Canons (not Nikons) have been known for sometime as dust
magnets, especially the 5D.

5D is known for the dust-in-the-viewfinder problem, which, of course, doesn't
affect images and has noting to do with dust-on-the-sensor problem. As for the
latter, all digital SLRs suffer from it to exactly the same degree. Canons have
not been known as "as dust magnets" any more than any other brand.
Old March 19th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Andrey Tarasevich

RichA wrote:
The post seemed genuine enough,
so why call the guy a liar?

LOL. The post in an obvious troll bait. You must have a heavy dust buildup in
your "genuine post" detector.