Sigma lens kit for DSLRs

Old September 25th 04, 12:18 PM
[BnH]

Default Sigma lens kit for DSLRs

Are you aiming for hi-quality lens or just some cheap mountable lens ?

Nikon stock 18-70 DX lens is a true performer for its price. Stop down to
f/8 and voila .. you'll get "good" sharp result.
Canon stock EF-S 18-55 is also not a bad option. Most ppl are happy with it
tho I haven't compared them side by side.

OTOH .. Sigma lens kit .... well being 3rd party has its own reason.
For me I would avoid 3rd party lens whenever possible .. except for the
Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70 /2.8 for portraits , Tamron 90mm Di for macro,
and Sigma 50-500 for budget tele lens.

Canon L lens range is good .. they are in some ways comparable to Nikon ED
lenses.
But somehow Canon image processor tends to give soft results on their pro
bodies [ 1D Mk II]
(this comment is told by a pro who used Nikon D1X + a few of its big mama
lenses and now moved n trying out Canon with its big mama lenses too ]
hence if you like to post process a bit [ which is not my cup of tea] Canon
is quite a good option.

=bob=

"PrashantP" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

I'm about to buy a Canon 300D or a Nikon D70 and have noticed some of the
online stores selling with this Sigma Lens kit:
Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Two Lens Kit

On paper, it looks like a good combination of lenses, has anyone had any
experience with these lenses?

I've read that Canon lenses are higher quality, but I'm attracted by the
price of this kit.

Thanks,

Old September 25th 04, 12:42 PM
Mark B.

"PrashantP" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

I'm about to buy a Canon 300D or a Nikon D70 and have noticed some of the
online stores selling with this Sigma Lens kit:
Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Two Lens Kit

On paper, it looks like a good combination of lenses, has anyone had any
experience with these lenses?

I've read that Canon lenses are higher quality, but I'm attracted by the
price of this kit.

Thanks,

From the reviews I've read, they're not great lenses. The Sigma 18-50 f/2.8
EX has been getting very good reviews; check the Canon SLR forums at
dpreview.com. Just picked mine up, I'm taking it out today for its first
test.

Mark

Old September 25th 04, 12:45 PM
Mark B.

"PrashantP" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

I'm about to buy a Canon 300D or a Nikon D70 and have noticed some of the
online stores selling with this Sigma Lens kit:
Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Two Lens Kit

On paper, it looks like a good combination of lenses, has anyone had any
experience with these lenses?

I've read that Canon lenses are higher quality, but I'm attracted by the
price of this kit.

Thanks,

By the way, here's a link to a thread with samples & user reports of the
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10413518

Mark

Old September 25th 04, 03:20 PM
ed

"Mark B." wrote in message
"PrashantP" wrote in message
u...
Hi,

I'm about to buy a Canon 300D or a Nikon D70 and have noticed some of

the
online stores selling with this Sigma Lens kit:
Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Two Lens Kit

On paper, it looks like a good combination of lenses, has anyone had any
experience with these lenses?

I've read that Canon lenses are higher quality, but I'm attracted by the
price of this kit.

Thanks,

From the reviews I've read, they're not great lenses. The Sigma 18-50

f/2.8
EX has been getting very good reviews; check the Canon SLR forums at
dpreview.com. Just picked mine up, I'm taking it out today for its first
test.

Do you really need to take it outside for the drop test? =)

Old September 25th 04, 03:24 PM
Phil Wheeler

Go find the dpreview Canon SLR Lens Forum.

Lots of discussion and comparison of such lenses there, with 100% crop
samples, etc.

Phil

Old September 25th 04, 05:12 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , PrashantP
wrote:

I'm about to buy a Canon 300D or a Nikon D70 and have noticed some of
the online stores selling with this Sigma Lens kit:
Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC and 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC Two Lens Kit

On paper, it looks like a good combination of lenses, has anyone had any
experience with these lenses?

I've read that Canon lenses are higher quality, but I'm attracted by the
price of this kit.

The sting of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price
is forgotten.