Using photos as wallpaper (collage).

Old December 9th 03, 08:54 PM
Snoopy_

Default Using photos as wallpaper (collage).

Hello,
I recently moved from the city to a suburban neighborhood, and I
would like to take some photographs of both sides of the street where
we lived, have them blown up, and then pasted as wallpaper in my
children's room. This way they can sit in their room and kind-of look
at the old neighborhood. I was wondering if there are any
suggestions in how to do this?
At first glance I think the largest blowup I can get is 30X24,
although I have found a place that can make them custom without seems
(http://www.photofactory.com/mural.htm). I would like to try and
take the picture with a digital camera and do use stitching software
to make it one picture, but I believe the quality will be so poor that
I will need to use a medium format camera. Any advise would be
greatfull. Thanks.
Old December 10th 03, 06:19 AM
zeitgeist

how much money do you want to spend?

there are places that can print out 40 or 50 inch wide strips as long as you
need.

but even a large format image would have problems making a billboard sized
image, (and if you looked at a billboard, they are surprisingly soft, and
deliberately so I hear) a 645 neg at 16x20 is sorta somewhat like a 35mm
neg at 8x10. a 4x5 at 30x40 etc,

why not take some interesting photos of the old neighborhood and print them
separately and arrange them on the wall in a strip, not exactly a continuous
panorama, just a series of images.I would think that would be more
interesting.

here's an idea I had. take a digital file, limit the color pallet to colors
found in one inch tiles, and make a mural, each pixel represented by a tile.
and 8 foot tall wall, humm a 96 pixel image just isn't going to do it.

Old December 10th 03, 03:26 PM
Snoopy_

Hmmm, the idea I envisioned was one where if you walked into the room
you would get the feeling you were on the street itself. I even
thought of having some of their friends sitting on the steps, not
posed, just hanging out.
I have realized that this is going to get very expensive, very fast,
and maybe a more clever idea is to print out 8x10s on a photo printer
and paste them in a collage. However to do this I need to use my
digital camera, and I would have to take many pictures to keep the
quality somewhat good; doesn't need to be perfect.
I take a stab at it and maybe post the pictures when I'm done. I'm
sure this is going to have to take some multiple attempts to get it
right. Thanks.

Old December 15th 03, 05:55 AM
Chris Robisch

I like Snoopy's collage idea. you can still use big images for that concept
as well.

I use a lab in Phoenix, AZ that is really good. I love the quality that
they produce. The largest "standard" image they print is a 30 x 60. With
digital printing, they may be able to do other things.

Tehy a Photo Concepts, Inc. @ 602-957-8055

Good luck and cool idea.

Chris

Scenic Prints: Fine Art Landscape Photography
Capturing the essence and beauty of the Rocky Mountains and the American
West.
http://www.scenicprints.com

om...

Old December 15th 03, 08:27 AM
René Ernst Nielsen

"Snoopy_" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I recently moved from the city to a suburban neighborhood, and I
would like to take some photographs of both sides of the street where
we lived, have them blown up, and then pasted as wallpaper in my
children's room. This way they can sit in their room and kind-of look
at the old neighborhood. I was wondering if there are any
suggestions in how to do this?
At first glance I think the largest blowup I can get is 30X24,
although I have found a place that can make them custom without seems
(http://www.photofactory.com/mural.htm). I would like to try and
take the picture with a digital camera and do use stitching software
to make it one picture, but I believe the quality will be so poor that
I will need to use a medium format camera. Any advise would be
greatfull. Thanks.

Hi

For the printing, why not contact a company that usualy makes/prints
billboards. They can give you some good advice, and in the end, they can
print it for you...

Best regards

René Ernst Nielsen

cigarer [a] tiscali dot dk