Dark Pictures-Canon 20D

Old May 18th 05, 01:11 AM
KK

Marge, there are too many things that can affect your picture. Is the
exposure level indicator set at zero or centered? (pg. 12)

What ISO do you have your camera set at? (pg. 49)

Try putting the camera on "P" and doing the same as what you were trying to
do in the Basic Mode.

If you think something is wrong with the camera, take it back!

r/
Keith

"Marge" wrote in message
Thank you for your reply. The distance of my pictures was between 6 and 8
feet.
They were taken in "fully automatic mode" with the flash. I'm trying to
test
the camera in this mode so none of the settings were done by me.I am
referring to page 40 of the manual. That is why I'm trying to find out if
anything is wrong with the camera. I can of course brighten the pictures
with software but that is not what I am testing for. I received a reply to
this same question on a different newsgroup, and they implied that, with
camera set as above, that pictures taken with indoor lighting will be
underexposed. I am trying to find out if this is the characteristic of all
Canon EOS 20D cameras or am I one of the unlucky few. I am trying to
decide
whether or not to try to exchange this camera for another 20D. Again I
thank
you for your reply.

"KK" wrote in message
What ISO are you using and what is the distance that you are trying to
capture with the flash? Is the Camera's under/over exposure meter set
for
"0"?

In Basic Mode, the result using the flash is natural looking flash
photo's
except when shooting in landscape, sports or flash off... this is quoted
from the manual.. are you shooting in one of these modes?
On page 93 of the manual it discusses ISO/lens and distance.. The 18-55
using the flash at ISO 100 is good to 3.3-12.1 feet.. this distance
drops
as you use the lens's telephoto capabilities..

Keith

wanted to reply to each individual who answered but at
the time I had experienced some personal problems.
I think however I asked the wrong question.about my camera. I wanted to
find
out if the dark pictures using fully automatic shooting (Basic Zone

moods)
with the flash were due to a faulty camera of if this is standard for

this
camera.. According to the manual, I should be getting good pictures. I

am
trying to find out if I should return the camera.
"Marge" wrote in message
.. .
Hi:

I have a Canon 20D with the 18-55mm lens that was supplied with the
camera.

When taking pictures at family birthday parties and gatherings in a
living
room and dining room my pictures come out very dark. The lighting is

dim
but
adequate with overhead lighting and table lamps. All the shooting is

done
in
the Basic Zone Modes where everything is set automatically. To quote

from
the manual "You just press the shutter button, and the camera does the
rest"
.

You certainly cannot print directly from the memory card however,
which
is
want I want to do. Every picture has to be processed to increase the
brightness. I've taken pictures in the same surroundings before with a
$50.00 digital camera and the pictures come out bright enough to print
without any processing.

This is not a simple camera but at these affairs I'm using it as a

point
and
shoot. I take about one hundred pictures and I don't want to spend

hours
processing them.

My question is whether it's me or the camera? I would appreciate

feedback
from anyone who has experienced this.

Thank you in advance.

Old May 19th 05, 04:35 AM
Marge

You are right. After all my checking I found out that I was in the wrong
mode for that type of shooting. As you suggested, I should have been in the
Creative Zone. I don't think there is anything wrong with my camera.
Thanks again for your replies.

"KK" wrote in message
[...]

.. .