Dark Pictures-Canon 20D

Old May 6th 05, 12:30 AM
Marge

Default Dark Pictures-Canon 20D

Hi:

I have a Canon 20D with the 18-55mm lens that was supplied with the camera.

When taking pictures at family birthday parties and gatherings in a living
room and dining room my pictures come out very dark. The lighting is dim but
adequate with overhead lighting and table lamps. All the shooting is done in
the Basic Zone Modes where everything is set automatically. To quote from
the manual "You just press the shutter button, and the camera does the rest"
..

You certainly cannot print directly from the memory card however, which is
want I want to do. Every picture has to be processed to increase the
brightness. I've taken pictures in the same surroundings before with a
$50.00 digital camera and the pictures come out bright enough to print
without any processing.

This is not a simple camera but at these affairs I'm using it as a point and
shoot. I take about one hundred pictures and I don't want to spend hours
processing them.

My question is whether it's me or the camera? I would appreciate feedback
from anyone who has experienced this.

Thank you in advance.

Old May 6th 05, 02:31 AM
Me myself and I

After taking a picture or two, take a look at the histogram. If it shows
underexposure, set the eposure bias to increase what it thinks is the
proper exposure. I've found on my DRebel that it does the same
thing...underexposes...and a +1 adjustment usually does the trick.

mmi

.

Old May 6th 05, 05:17 AM
KK

I agree with mmi,
1st make sure that you are not shooting with the camera set for an under
exposed picture.. Second review that histogram.. it will give you a lot of
information. Finally, you may need to up your ISO.

Keith

Old May 6th 05, 08:09 PM
Charles Schuler

"Marge" wrote in message
[...]

Try the P mode and boost the ISO to 400 or 800. I think that will work
better under those conditions.

Old May 17th 05, 12:09 AM
Marge

Hi
I want to thank everyone who replied to this problem of mine. The answers
were very useful. I wanted to reply to each individual who answered but at
the time I had experienced some personal problems.
I think however I asked the wrong question.about my camera. I wanted to find
out if the dark pictures using fully automatic shooting (Basic Zone moods)
with the flash were due to a faulty camera of if this is standard for this
camera.. According to the manual, I should be getting good pictures. I am
trying to find out if I should return the camera.
.. .

Old May 17th 05, 02:01 AM
KK

What ISO are you using and what is the distance that you are trying to
capture with the flash? Is the Camera's under/over exposure meter set for
"0"?

In Basic Mode, the result using the flash is natural looking flash photo's
except when shooting in landscape, sports or flash off... this is quoted
from the manual.. are you shooting in one of these modes?
On page 93 of the manual it discusses ISO/lens and distance.. The 18-55
using the flash at ISO 100 is good to 3.3-12.1 feet.. this distance drops
as you use the lens's telephoto capabilities..

Keith

wanted to reply to each individual who answered but at
the time I had experienced some personal problems.
I think however I asked the wrong question.about my camera. I wanted to
find
out if the dark pictures using fully automatic shooting (Basic Zone moods)
with the flash were due to a faulty camera of if this is standard for this
camera.. According to the manual, I should be getting good pictures. I am
trying to find out if I should return the camera.
.. .

Old May 17th 05, 10:47 PM
Marge

Thank you for your reply. The distance of my pictures was between 6 and 8
feet.
They were taken in "fully automatic mode" with the flash. I'm trying to test
the camera in this mode so none of the settings were done by me.I am
referring to page 40 of the manual. That is why I'm trying to find out if
anything is wrong with the camera. I can of course brighten the pictures
with software but that is not what I am testing for. I received a reply to
this same question on a different newsgroup, and they implied that, with
camera set as above, that pictures taken with indoor lighting will be
underexposed. I am trying to find out if this is the characteristic of all
Canon EOS 20D cameras or am I one of the unlucky few. I am trying to decide
whether or not to try to exchange this camera for another 20D. Again I thank
you for your reply.

"KK" wrote in message
[...]

.. .