Canon 5D + 580EX

Old April 3rd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Canon 5D + 580EX

In article , ½ Confused
writes
Rehrasing the question:

I have a Canon 5D and a 580EX flash. I cannot get rear (2nd curtain)
sync to work. I've read all the manuals, checked the settings, and
studied the relevant sections of the excellent 3rd party EOS flash
white paper as well as Canon's stuff (which side-steps the rear
curtain). (I'm convinced at this point the 580EX doesn't do 2nd
curtain... would like to know before calling Canon tomorrow.)

Are any 5D owners using 2nd curtain sync, and if so, what flash are
you using and were there any undocumented settings involved?

Hi Jeff,
I have this combo and it does 2nd curtain sync without any problems.

Be sure that you are not mistaking the pre-flash, which occurs just
before the mirror goes up, with the main flash which will fire at the
end of the exposure. This can be particularly confusing if you set the
camera to Av and the flash to 2cs, since the shutter stays open until
the background is exposed correctly before firing the main flash and
closing.

2cs is enabled on the flash, not the camera. Press the second button
from the right until the 2cs symbol (three overlapping right facing
triangles) lights up in the flash display - this should be two presses
from the default at power on (first press enables high speed flash
mode). If you try this with the camera in manual mode with a slow
shutter speed, say half a second, you will clearly see the preflash
followed half a second later by the main flash.

First test is whether you can get the 2cs symbol to appear on the 580EX
flash unit. You should be able to do that whether it is connected to
the camera or not. If that is OK then you shouldn't have a problem.

Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
I have no complaints.
--
Kennedy
Old April 3rd 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , This old Bob
writes

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article , ½ Confused
writes

Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat clunky?
The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off in my hand
when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise, I have no
complaints.

Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

It looks like a similar mechanism, but I have no idea whether it is
better or worse than the one I have. I keep meaning to check against
others in store, but haven't got round to it.
--
Kennedy
Old April 3rd 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"This old Bob" wrote in message

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article , ½ Confused
writes

Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
I have no complaints.

Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major complaint
I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very patient, so
it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the three flashes I
have with that same door design...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old April 4th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article oBhYf.2509$qd.395@fed1read08, Skip M
writes
"This old Bob" wrote in message
.. .

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article , ½ Confused
writes

Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
I have no complaints.

Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major complaint
I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very patient, so
it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the three flashes I
have with that same door design...

Actually, Skip, that *is* reassuring. Even though it looks like a
candidate for a fracture, your experience suggests it isn't. It is
certainly the worst battery cover design I have ever encountered. How
long have you been using the older flashes?
--
Kennedy
Old April 4th 06, 03:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Skip M" wrote in message
newsBhYf.2509$qd.395@fed1read08...
"This old Bob" wrote in message

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article , ½ Confused
writes

Incidentally, do you find the battery cover for the 580EX somewhat
clunky? The hinge seems to stick regularly and I expect it to break off
in my hand when I open it to put new batteries in this flash. Otherwise,
I have no complaints.

Is that the same as on my 550EX? Better or worse?

It's the same as the 550, and the 540EZ before it. The one major
complaint I have about the flashes. I'm a little ham handed, and not very
patient, so it's a wonder that I haven't broken the door on any of the
three flashes I have with that same door design...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Agree. I hated the design on my 550 and also hate the 580. Every time I
close it I feel like I'm exerting way to much pressure on the hinge. Makes
battery changes take much longer.

But I guess if none of us have actually broken the door, perhaps the design
is better than we're giving credit for?

Old April 4th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Kennedy McEwen" wrote in message
In article oBhYf.2509$qd.395@fed1read08, Skip M
writes
"This old Bob" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Well, I've had a 540EZ for about 6 years, the 420EX since June, '04. I
never owned a 550EX, rented or borrowed one when I needed it. I've had the
580EX since Oct, '05...

Old April 4th 06, 06:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Frank B" frankb (at) dca (dot) net wrote in message

"Skip M" wrote in message
[...]

Possibly. But one way I've avoided it, lately, is to use an external
battery pack on the 580. The door gets opened about once every two weeks,