Ni-MH batteries

Old November 16th 04, 09:21 PM
Geoff

Default Ni-MH batteries

Hello. Newcomer here, so apologies if required.
Question is, does anybody know the approximate shelf life of new, unused
Ni-MH AA batteries?
Reason is, I've been offered a dozen at a good price, but I currently
use no more than four or six, with a fast charger.
Would I be better to leave the surplus 'in storage' or use them all, in
rotation?
Thanks in advance.
GH.
Old November 16th 04, 09:40 PM
Bob Salomon

Geoff wrote:

Hello. Newcomer here, so apologies if required.
Question is, does anybody know the approximate shelf life of new, unused
Ni-MH AA batteries?
Reason is, I've been offered a dozen at a good price, but I currently
use no more than four or six, with a fast charger.
Would I be better to leave the surplus 'in storage' or use them all, in
rotation?
Thanks in advance.
GH.

NiMh cells will not reach full capacity until they have gone through 3
or 4 complete charge/discharge cycles.

That means that if you leave the extra cells in storage and only start
to use them when the need arises they will not be at full capacity.

Rotate them. If you have a good, intelligent charger like the Energy 16
you could even charge all 12 at one time and use one set while the rest
remain on a maintenance charge so they are always at 100%. And, being a
smart charger, it periodically tests the cells to make sure they are OK
and, if it detects a change in the cell's condition, will automatically
give it a refresh charge to maintain it at peak performance.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old November 16th 04, 11:09 PM
MTBike1970

Check out this website...
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
Everything you wanted to know about batteries. They indicate that NiMH
batteries are good for 200-300 cycles, and storage is ok for about three
years.
MTB

Old November 16th 04, 11:23 PM
Geoff

"Geoff" wrote in message

Hello. Newcomer here, so apologies if required.
Question is, does anybody know the approximate shelf life of new, unused
Ni-MH AA batteries?
Reason is, I've been offered a dozen at a good price, but I currently
use no more than four or six, with a fast charger.
Would I be better to leave the surplus 'in storage' or use them all, in
rotation?
Thanks in advance.
GH.

Thanks for that, MTB, much appreciated.
GH.

Old November 17th 04, 06:38 PM
Bill Tuthill

MTBike1970 wrote:
Check out this website...
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
Everything you wanted to know about batteries.
They indicate that NiMH batteries are good for 200-300 cycles ...

I think this is wrong. We have had some NiMH AAs that have lasted
for 7 years (GP brand). Although we didn't count, they were recharged
at least once a week, probably twice, for a total of 350-700 cycles.
They are still OK, lasting long enough for their intended use (book light)
and measuring 1.4V when freshly charged.

Old November 18th 04, 09:10 AM
imbsysop

On 17 Nov 2004 10:38:18 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote:

MTBike1970 wrote:
Check out this website...
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm
Everything you wanted to know about batteries.
They indicate that NiMH batteries are good for 200-300 cycles ...

I think this is wrong. We have had some NiMH AAs that have lasted
for 7 years (GP brand). Although we didn't count, they were recharged
at least once a week, probably twice, for a total of 350-700 cycles.
They are still OK, lasting long enough for their intended use (book light)
and measuring 1.4V when freshly charged.

manufacturer's production figures do not necesseraly cover real life
situations .. they're mostly worst case ... just to be on the safe
side.
IMHO