Q: Oly C-750/755 And Batteries

Old October 1st 04, 07:04 AM
zach

Default Q: Oly C-750/755 And Batteries

Hi- I am new to the world of digital photography, having just bought
an Olympus C-755 the other day. I have some questions regarding
batteries:

- the camera came with "CR-V3" Li-ion batteries, paired in two packs.
The manual looks like I can use regular AA alkalines, but the "safety
precautions" booklet makes all sorts of dire predictions not to use
"this" or "that" kind of battery. I don't want to destroy something,
but I can still use regular alkaline AAs, right? The manual says "AA
(R6)" batteries are an option. Not sure what the "R6" means... The two
battery packs look like the anode and cathode are shorted together,
because one end of the pack is just a piece of plastic. 1.5V(4
batteries)=6V, but what are the packs shorted at one end... maybe I
need to try and draw the circuit out.

- Charging: Does the camera charge the batteries when they are in the
camera, given a 6V external power supply (which was not included)? If
not, then will any charger do? I ask because of the Olympus battery
packs being non0conductive at one end... either I need to buy a
charger (from Olympus, I assume) that charges the battery packs in
this configuration, or should I just get 8 more "free" configuration
batteries, and forgo using the pack (because I would have to invest in
a special charger and another set of the same-configured batteries)?

Btw- I went into Fry's and the guy wasn't much help, other than "you
should be able to just use regular alkaline AAs in it." I understand
that DCs drain these types of batteries quickly, and added to the fact
that this doesn't help me once I drain the battery pack that came with
the camera, he wasn't much help at all. I am going to the mountains,
and into a cave this weekend, and have barely turned on the camera
long enough to figure out how to take images in a few different modes,
and upload them to my PC. So, I want to take some cool pictures this
weekend ("night" shot mode vs. flash for the cave, some portrait modes
of some helical "dragon" stalactites and such, etc.). Any advice would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Zach
Old October 1st 04, 11:53 AM
Michael Meissner

(zach) writes:

Hi- I am new to the world of digital photography, having just bought
an Olympus C-755 the other day. I have some questions regarding
batteries:

- the camera came with "CR-V3" Li-ion batteries, paired in two packs.
The manual looks like I can use regular AA alkalines, but the "safety
precautions" booklet makes all sorts of dire predictions not to use
"this" or "that" kind of battery. I don't want to destroy something,
but I can still use regular alkaline AAs, right? The manual says "AA
(R6)" batteries are an option. Not sure what the "R6" means... The two
battery packs look like the anode and cathode are shorted together,
because one end of the pack is just a piece of plastic. 1.5V(4
batteries)=6V, but what are the packs shorted at one end... maybe I
need to try and draw the circuit out.

Note many cameras cannot use regular alkalines, due to the electricial
characteristics. My Olympus C-2100UZ for instance could use them, but would
drain them in about 10 shots. What you want are rechargable Nimh batteries.
Here are some FAQs:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...-batteries.htm
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
http://www.crypto.com/chargers/

You can pick up batteries and chargers at most big box stores (Best Buy,
Walmart, etc.) and at Radio Shack. Here are some places that sell chargers and
batteries over the internet:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/
http://www.ripvan100.com/
http://www.cheapbatteries.com/
http://www.greenbatteries.com/

- Charging: Does the camera charge the batteries when they are in the
camera, given a 6V external power supply (which was not included)? If
not, then will any charger do? I ask because of the Olympus battery
packs being non0conductive at one end... either I need to buy a
charger (from Olympus, I assume) that charges the battery packs in
this configuration, or should I just get 8 more "free" configuration
batteries, and forgo using the pack (because I would have to invest in
a special charger and another set of the same-configured batteries)?

Olympus cameras typically do not charge batteries in the camera. The AC
adaptor that Olympus and other sells just allows you to use the camera plugged
in without batteries. You can use any Nimh charger and Nimh batteries. Note
all Nimh batteries have the same characteristics, except for capacity. It is
typically best if you buy and use batteries in a set.

Btw- I went into Fry's and the guy wasn't much help, other than "you
should be able to just use regular alkaline AAs in it." I understand
that DCs drain these types of batteries quickly, and added to the fact
that this doesn't help me once I drain the battery pack that came with
the camera, he wasn't much help at all. I am going to the mountains,
and into a cave this weekend, and have barely turned on the camera
long enough to figure out how to take images in a few different modes,
and upload them to my PC. So, I want to take some cool pictures this
weekend ("night" shot mode vs. flash for the cave, some portrait modes
of some helical "dragon" stalactites and such, etc.). Any advice would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ah yes, the legendary help staff of Fryes.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old October 1st 04, 01:56 PM
Siddhartha Jain

zach wrote:
Hi- I am new to the world of digital photography, having just bought
an Olympus C-755 the other day. I have some questions regarding
batteries:

- the camera came with "CR-V3" Li-ion batteries, paired in two packs.
The manual looks like I can use regular AA alkalines, but the "safety
precautions" booklet makes all sorts of dire predictions not to use
"this" or "that" kind of battery. I don't want to destroy something,
but I can still use regular alkaline AAs, right?

Finally, something I can answer with authority ;-)
I use my Olympus C-750 with Kodak NiMH 2100mAh rechargeables all the
time. I have two sets of four and I haven't had any trouble with them
ever since the originals that came with the camera died.

Btw- I went into Fry's and the guy wasn't much help, other than "you
should be able to just use regular alkaline AAs in it." I understand
that DCs drain these types of batteries quickly, and added to the

fact
that this doesn't help me once I drain the battery pack that came

with
the camera, he wasn't much help at all.

I once used alkalines because I forgot to bring the second set of
rechargeables with me. They drained pretty quickly. Remember, use the
EVF instead of the LCD and it will save you lot of battery juice and
its easier to stabilize the camera if you are handholding it by holding
it close to your face (and using the EVF).

Cheers,

Siddhartha

Old October 1st 04, 02:45 PM
nellybly

In article , zach
wrote:

Any advice would
be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Here's a link to a page that covers allotg of options:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
The batteries that came with your camera are not rechargeable, and you
c annot recharge any type of battery in-camera even if the AC adapter
is used.
HTH,
NB
Old October 1st 04, 04:15 PM
TRR

Given 'Volts is Volts" no matter where you get them them the real
requirement for digital camera batteries is enough ampere/hours to last
a while. Nimh rechargeables with 1500 a/h or more ratings have served
me well and are now readily available from Radio Shack, Costco and
others. Good luck !!

Old October 1st 04, 09:07 PM
zach

Michael Meissner wrote in message ...
(zach) writes:

[...]

Heh. All he had to do was say, "You need two sets of 4 NiMH AA
batteries and a charger, let me hook you up..." and Frys would have
made some money.

I'll go to Wally World and probably get it cheaper now (as well as
paying 1% less in sales tax outside of the Bay Area).

Thanks to everyone else who responded, too.