batteries

Old September 26th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default batteries

I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them subject to loss of
charge if charged before they have been exhausted, or is it ok to charge a
partly discharged battery?

thanks

Old September 26th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

S wrote:
I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them subject to
loss of charge if charged before they have been exhausted, or is it
ok to charge a partly discharged battery?

thanks

Personally, I take the view that it's always better to charge a battery
after use, if you need it the next day, rather than risking not charging
it, even if doing so results in a slight loss of capacity. Therefore, I
routinely charge my Li-Ion batteries after use.

Others may not choose the same option.

David

Old September 26th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill[_3_]

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:17:57 +0100, "S"
wrote:

I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them subject to loss of
charge if charged before they have been exhausted, or is it ok to charge a
partly discharged battery?

thanks

Here is an interesting read on batteries:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

I have a Canon DSLR and have two li-ion battery packs. I typically
shoot between 500-800 shots before switching batteries. I leave the
removed battery un-charged until just before switching. I've taken
around 8000 shots over the last 2-1/2 years and have noticed
absolutely no decrease in battery life. I would like to point out
though, that I've never had the battery go dead or even give a low
charge warning over that time.

HTH
Bill
Old September 26th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
James Silverton

David wrote on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:51:03 GMT:

S wrote:
I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them
subject to loss of charge if charged before they have been
exhausted, or is it ok to charge a partly discharged battery?

thanks

Personally, I take the view that it's always better to charge a
battery after use, if you need it the next day, rather than risking
not charging it, even if doing so results in a slight loss of
capacity. Therefore, I routinely charge my Li-Ion
batteries after use.

Others may not choose the same option.

I'm not a professional but my camera will take AA batteries and I find
carrying a reasonable number allows me to use the camera when I want.
There are all sorts of sometimes contradictory information about when to
recharge a battery especially if you are concerned about overall life
and whether the loss of capacity is actually "slight".
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old September 26th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

S wrote:
I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them
subject to loss of charge if charged before they have been
exhausted, or is it ok to charge a partly discharged battery?

thanks

Personally, I take the view that it's always better to charge a
battery after use, if you need it the next day, rather than risking
not charging it, even if doing so results in a slight loss of
capacity. Therefore, I routinely charge my Li-Ion
batteries after use.

Others may not choose the same option.

I'm not a professional but my camera will take AA batteries and I find
carrying a reasonable number allows me to use the camera when I want.
There are all sorts of sometimes contradictory information about when to
recharge a battery especially if you are concerned about overall life
and whether the loss of capacity is actually "slight".

You're talking about NiMH AA's. These supposedly do not have a
significant memory problem. Considering their low cost, all discussion
of life, number of charge discharge cycles is just a waste of bandwidth.
Use them any way that's convenient. Does anyone really care if one gets
400, 500 or 1000 charge/discharge cycles.
Lithium are a little different, more expensive and supposedly have a
limited life. My camera doesn't use them, I have one in a GPS and as
long as the thing works when plugged in I won't worry about it.
Dave Cohen
Old September 26th 08, 06:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:17:57 +0100, S wrote:

I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them subject to loss
of charge if charged before they have been exhausted, or is it ok to
charge a partly discharged battery?

thanks

It is my understanding that only Ni-Cd batteries suffer if recharged
before being depleted - Ni-MH and Li-ion batteries do not.

Old September 26th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

S wrote:
I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them subject to loss of
charge if charged before they have been exhausted, or is it ok to charge a
partly discharged battery?

thanks

You can see the care and feeding instructions of Li-Ion and NiMH
batteries at the battery web site "http://batterydata.com/".

The short answer is that you will get better battery life if you don't
discharge the Li-Ion batteries all the way prior to recharging, and the
opposite is the case for NiMH batteries.
Old September 26th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

S wrote:
I have a Nikon DX camera, are the batteries used in them
subject to loss of charge if charged before they have been
exhausted, or is it ok to charge a partly discharged battery?

thanks

Personally, I take the view that it's always better to charge
a battery after use, if you need it the next day, rather than
risking not charging it, even if doing so results in a slight
loss of capacity. Therefore, I routinely charge my Li-Ion
batteries after use.

Others may not choose the same option.

I used to do that with the 4 batteries that my Nikon 5700 (now
dead) used to eat like candy on a "shoot" but found that repeated
partial chargings seemed to make the life shorter and shorter. No
proof, just a feel. Whatever technology my old Canon Rebel XT and
my newer Rebel XSi use, the far lower energy use of a DSLR means
that I run out of energy long before my camera does, so usually I
come home only partially discharged, maybe 25% or less. About the
only exception is if I'm shooting some with the built in flash when
I don't want to haul my heavy Canon 430EX external. So, when I get
home, to try to be nice to my battery, I try to run it down a bit
more running the camera with an image displayed on the larger LCD
of the XSi. Seems to be effective as I have come nowhere near
exhausting it so far.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Don't say 'can't' when you really mean 'won't'"
Old September 26th 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered

Bill added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Here is an interesting read on batteries:

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

I have a Canon DSLR and have two li-ion battery packs. I
typically shoot between 500-800 shots before switching
batteries. I leave the removed battery un-charged until just
before switching. I've taken around 8000 shots over the last
2-1/2 years and have noticed absolutely no decrease in battery
life. I would like to point out though, that I've never had
the battery go dead or even give a low charge warning over
that time.

I understand the theory you're using and am not in a position to
disagree but I prefer to try to run mine down at least 50% then
recharge after any major amount of shots, for me more in the range
of 300-400. Works for me as I'm sure your method works for you.
Now, what the OP is getting out of this, I'm not sure.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Don't say 'can't' when you really mean 'won't'"

d70 d80 batteries mike Digital Photography 2 October 5th 07 01:05 PM
Batteries Ed[_3_] Digital Photography 40 June 23rd 07 05:42 AM
NN Batteries Rod Digital SLR Cameras 8 May 10th 07 03:09 AM
Batteries Charger VS Batteries capacity [email protected] Digital Photography 15 November 25th 06 05:42 AM
Batteries JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Digital Photography 35 January 1st 05 08:24 PM