New Picasa Problem

Old June 19th 16, 02:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default New Picasa Problem

Hi,

Picasa is no longer supported, and I still use it.

After one inserts new photos into the "pictures" section of my Windows
7, Picasa is supposed to automatically copy the photos. It has done so
for about 10 years. Well , today it did not copy a new folder of photos.
I tried repeatedly with no success. The photos are in Windows'
"pictures" properly.

Does anyone have any idea why this now happened for the first time,and
what I can do to fix the problem? I of course need the photos to be in
Picasa so that I can properly edit and improve them. I know that other
programs exist, but I have been successfully using Picasa in various
updated editions for a decade, I am used to it, and get good results
with it.

Thanks in advance.

Mort Linder
Old June 19th 16, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2016-06-19 01:03:19 +0000, Mort said:

Hi,

Picasa is no longer supported, and I still use it.

After one inserts new photos into the "pictures" section of my Windows
7, Picasa is supposed to automatically copy the photos. It has done so
for about 10 years. Well , today it did not copy a new folder of
photos. I tried repeatedly with no success. The photos are in Windows'
"pictures" properly.

Does anyone have any idea why this now happened for the first time,and
what I can do to fix the problem? I of course need the photos to be in
Picasa so that I can properly edit and improve them. I know that other
programs exist, but I have been successfully using Picasa in various
updated editions for a decade, I am used to it, and get good results
with it.

Thanks in advance.

Mort Linder

Like many things Google, Picasa has been put out to pasture and
replaced with 'Google Photos'. Picasa Web Albums was officially killed
on May 1.

For all your future interactions such as loading image files into
'Google Photos', you have to log in to 'Google Photos' and all of your
'Picasa' images should be there.

You might want to check the following, and go that route:
http://picasa.google.com

Savageduck

Old June 19th 16, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2016-06-19 01:03:19 +0000, Mort said:

Hi,

[...]

I think he's using the installed app, not the web based Picasa.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
-Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
Old June 19th 16, 02:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

This isn't exactly a direct solution, but I would
suggest that you organize a bit. If you're using
the Pictures "library" that's an abstraction that
does not represent the actual location(s) in the
file system. Far better would be to create a folder,
and hopefully a separate data partition, for your
photos. If you set up a data partition (D drive, E drive,
etc) then your photos will at least be as safe as the
hard disk. If you have them on C drive they're only
as safe as the integrity of Windows. One malware
attack and they could be gone.

Avoid Libraries altogether. They're a risky
invention "for dummies", as is "My Documents".
Once you set up a storage folder/drive location, find
all of your photos and move them there, organizing
into subfolders as necessary.

If you do that then you'll know where they are,
you can point Picasa to them, and you can back
them up as necessary. By not taking the trouble
to understand the file system and Explorer, you've
left yourself at the mercy of software whims, and
your current dilemma is the result.

If you take a few minutes to understand the
structure of the file system (drives, folder, subfolders,
etc) then you actually won't need Picasa at all
and won't risk losing your files when you have problems
because you'll know where those files are and you'll
have backup copies. (You should have copies on
DVDs and/or USB sticks and/or external, non-connected
disk drives. If you don't then you're only a hard disk
crash or a power surge away from losing everything.)

Old June 19th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
newshound

On 6/19/2016 2:44 PM, Mayayana wrote:
[...]

Agreed, this is exactly what I do (although I still use Picasa to index
and display them, and to do simple edits, resizing for web use,
exporting a "slide-show", etc).

I have found for a long time that it has to be prompted to scan a new
directory, by forcing it to "scan always".

Not perfect software, but still very convenient for a freebie. No way I
am going over to cloud management like Google now wants, though.

Old June 19th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Hi,

Thanks to the several folks who kindly replied to me with helpful info.
My problem is with my reserve laptop, which I used while my regular one
was in the shop for cloning. I now have my regular laptop back, and all
is well. The images from Pictures do migrate automatically to Picasa,
thank goodness. The problem seems to be confined to the one laptop. I
can now solve that problem at my leisure.

Thanks again. It is a pleasure to belong to a newsgroup with very kind
and helpful posters, in contrast with some others,where most posters
play "gotcha".

Mort Linder