Regarding G Clarons

Old March 5th 05, 01:43 PM
Neil Purling

Default Regarding G Clarons

I already have two of the regular type (150/9 & 210/9).
I know there are also 240, 270 & 305mm G Clarons.
Now I have seen a 240mm f11 G Claron WA.
Are they a special variant with greater coverage?

I intend the 150mm for my Crown Graphic and the 210mm will be for my
Linhof. Schneider seem to be very conservative regarding the coverage at
infinity with these lenses.

Old March 5th 05, 02:28 PM
Nick Zentena

Neil Purling wrote:
I already have two of the regular type (150/9 & 210/9).
I know there are also 240, 270 & 305mm G Clarons.
Now I have seen a 240mm f11 G Claron WA.
Are they a special variant with greater coverage?

To the best of my memory the WA are a totally different lens. They may not
fit shutters either. You'll find once you start looking at the 305mm and
bigger the prices jump. 150mm can be very cheap. I've never been lucky
enough to find a cheap 305mm or 355mm.

Nick
Old March 5th 05, 05:20 PM
Neil Purling

What design would give greater coverage than a Plasmat type?
I dismantled my 210mm to extract the two cells from the barrel and test
fitted them in a #1 Compur.
I know they fit.
There are Repro-Clarons as well.
Why would they make versions of the types with different threads so they
wouldnt fit a shutter?

Old March 5th 05, 06:07 PM
Nick Zentena

Neil Purling wrote:
What design would give greater coverage than a Plasmat type?

If you look at something like the 120mm Nikon F/8 it basically covers 8x10
with 310mm of coverage. OTOH a 150mm Claron is supposed to be about 250mm.
Shorter lens but greater total coverage. Plenty of other modern wide angle
lenses will beat the 80degrees of coverage that the Claron provides. Plus
some older ones.

I dismantled my 210mm to extract the two cells from the barrel and test
fitted them in a #1 Compur.
I know they fit.
There are Repro-Clarons as well.
Why would they make versions of the types with different threads so they
wouldnt fit a shutter?

Turn the question around. Why go to the trouble of making a lens to fit a
shutter? I know Scheinder sold G-claron in shutters so it makes sense to
make them fit. But I don't think they ever sold the WA in a shutter so why
go to the trouble?

Nick
Old March 6th 05, 02:46 PM
Neil Purling

Nick said
Why go to the trouble of making a lens to fit a shutter?

If there are versions of the exact same lens, some which fit a shutter and
some that do not why complicate manufacture with non standard parts?

If the 150mm G Claron may have 80degrees of coverage how much of that is
truly sharp?
I have heard that the 150mm will cover 5x7 yet Schneider themelves are very
conservative.

Old March 6th 05, 11:41 PM
Dan Fromm

Neil Purling wrote:
Nick said
Why go to the trouble of making a lens to fit a shutter?

If there are versions of the exact same lens, some which fit a

shutter and
some that do not why complicate manufacture with non standard parts?

If the 150mm G Claron may have 80degrees of coverage how much of that

is
truly sharp?
I have heard that the 150mm will cover 5x7 yet Schneider themelves

are very
conservative.

Neil, Schneider claim a 192.5 mm circle at infinity and f/22 for the
150/9 G-Claron. Other people, especially eBay vendors, claim more. I
suppose that the others have lower standards ...

Old March 7th 05, 01:12 PM
Nick Zentena

Neil Purling wrote:
Nick said
Why go to the trouble of making a lens to fit a shutter?

If there are versions of the exact same lens, some which fit a shutter and
some that do not why complicate manufacture with non standard parts?

The WA isn't the same lens. At least I'm fairly sure it isn't.

Nick