Why all the noise about noise?

Old October 4th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

Default Why all the noise about noise?

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
What annoys me more are those sealed, clear-plastic packages for things
on sale from customer self selection racks - typically in airports -
and even for SD cards. You know, the ones where you need scissors or a
knife to open the package, but there's no way you are allowed to bring
scissors or knives through security. So you end up struggling to
unseal the package with your teeth or worse!

Just ask for a coke in the can when you get on the airplane. Then bend
the can until it breaks (drink coke first). Those sharp edges will cut
through the plastic.

Thanks for the tip! Most of the flights I get these days don't even
include free drinks (even non-alcoholic).

David

Old October 4th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

David J Taylor wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
What annoys me more are those sealed, clear-plastic packages for
things on sale from customer self selection racks - typically in
airports - and even for SD cards. You know, the ones where you need
scissors or a knife to open the package, but there's no way you are
allowed to bring scissors or knives through security. So you end up
struggling to unseal the package with your teeth or worse!

Just ask for a coke in the can when you get on the airplane. Then
bend the can until it breaks (drink coke first). Those sharp edges
will cut through the plastic.

Thanks for the tip! Most of the flights I get these days don't even
include free drinks (even non-alcoholic).

I actually sent a similar message to the US TSA back in 2002... they
never replied and airlines continue to carry metal soda cans that can be
turned into knives within a few minutes in the quiet of the lavatory...
Old October 4th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Most of the flights I get these days don't even
include free drinks (even non-alcoholic).

ryanair?
Old October 4th 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I actually sent a similar message to the US TSA back in 2002... they
never replied and airlines continue to carry metal soda cans that can be
turned into knives within a few minutes in the quiet of the lavatory...

big deal. the cockpit is reinforced so they won't get very far and the
other passengers will beat the **** out of anyone who tries anything
funny.

they also have *actual* knives in first class, along with glasses and
bottles that can be shattered and the sharp edges used as a weapon.

just don't try to bring on any toothpaste or shampoo.
Old October 4th 09, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Most of the flights I get these days don't even
include free drinks (even non-alcoholic).

ryanair?

Most UK short-haul (internal) flights, probably Ryan Air as well.

David

Old October 4th 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

nospam wrote:
In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I actually sent a similar message to the US TSA back in 2002... they
never replied and airlines continue to carry metal soda cans that can be
turned into knives within a few minutes in the quiet of the lavatory...

big deal. the cockpit is reinforced so they won't get very far and the
other passengers will beat the **** out of anyone who tries anything
funny.

Four guys in a single aisle aircraft can control it. Dead bodies make
for great obstacles. The objective does not need to be crashing the
aircraft.

they also have *actual* knives in first class, along with glasses and
bottles that can be shattered and the sharp edges used as a weapon.

That depends on the airline and routes. Domestic routes ( up to 2 - 3
hours ) usually don't have glass and knives.
Old October 4th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , David J
Taylor
wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Most of the flights I get these days don't even
include free drinks (even non-alcoholic).

ryanair?

Most UK short-haul (internal) flights, probably Ryan Air as well.

i've heard a lot of stories about how very little ryanair provides,
including wanting to charge for bathroom use.

over here, non-alcoholic drinks are free, but food is not, unless one
is in a premium cabin.
Old October 4th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

I actually sent a similar message to the US TSA back in 2002... they
never replied and airlines continue to carry metal soda cans that can be
turned into knives within a few minutes in the quiet of the lavatory...

big deal. the cockpit is reinforced so they won't get very far and the
other passengers will beat the **** out of anyone who tries anything
funny.

Four guys in a single aisle aircraft can control it.

not anymore. 9/11 happened because it was airline *policy* to comply
with any hijacking attempt because up until that point, hijackers
demanded to be flown somewhere and then made their demands, not use the
plane as a missile.

that completely changed that *morning*, when the passengers of ual93
learned what was actually happening and fought back.

currently, the cockpit has a locked reinforced door and under no
circumstances will the crew open it or comply with any demands, even if
that means dead people in the cabin.

the pilots also can put the plane into a steep dive causing the
hijackers, who are probably standing, to bounce around the cabin and
fly into the ceiling, and that's assuming they manage to get past the
passengers trying to stop them. the pilots can also depressurize the
cabin enough to cause the hijackers to pass out.

the game is different now.

Dead bodies make
for great obstacles. The objective does not need to be crashing the
aircraft.

if someone wants to kill people, there are *far* easier ways than
trying to sneak a weapon on board an airplane.

they also have *actual* knives in first class, along with glasses and
bottles that can be shattered and the sharp edges used as a weapon.

That depends on the airline and routes. Domestic routes ( up to 2 - 3
hours ) usually don't have glass and knives.

domestic flights definitely have glassware and metal silverware in
first class on even the shortest flights, including knives. what they
lack is the lavish food they once had. i
Old October 5th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

dan sothers wrote:

The problem that beginners run into with using noise-removal software is
that they depend on the presets and defaults in each program. Just like
they pride their auto-everything snapshooter's DSLR cameras to do all the
work for them, they expect all their software to be nothing more than one
click of a mouse-button to fix what's wrong..

I think you mis up beginners, lazy people and incompetents.

Finding that it won't work
for their particular subjects and image-noise profiles for their images,
they give up. Good, I say. Garbage in, garbage out.

What does not being able to combat noise due to inexperience
have to do with bad images? Or don't you grasp GIGO except as
a buzzword?

-Wolfgang
Old October 5th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_11_]

"nospam" wrote in message
[]
i've heard a lot of stories about how very little ryanair provides,
including wanting to charge for bathroom use.

[]

Fortunately, photography from the windows is still free! Helps to have a
camera with an infinity preset focus, though. Just sometimes I end up
using Paint Shop Pro to increase the contrast in those distant
landscapes....

David