How wide on Cambo SC

Old April 8th 04, 02:36 PM
Jytzel

Default How wide on Cambo SC

Using a recessed board, what is the widest lens can this camera accept?

thanks
Old April 9th 04, 01:57 AM
Stefan Patric

On Thursday 08 April 2004 06:36 am, Jytzel wrote:

Using a recessed board, what is the widest lens can this camera
accept?

On my Cambo SCII with the deepest recessed board (1.25" or about 32mm)
made for it, with the standards as close together as physically
possible, the flange focal distance is 50mm or a little less than 2".

The flange focal distance for the 47mm Super-Angulon is 59mm, and I've
had this lens on the camera. So, I know it will work. The next
shortest lens that I know of in that series is the 38mm SA with a
flange distance of 52mm, but it won't cover 4x5.

I'd test before I bought, but from my experience, the 47 is the shortest
practical focal length usable on the Cambo SCII.

Allow for a center filter in your budget. You'll need wide angle
bellows, too.

--
Stefan Patric

Old April 9th 04, 12:47 PM
Jytzel

Thanks Stefan,

I'll be using 6x9 back most of the time. I was just worried about the
focusing issue. As a matter of fact I like 65 to 55 range for that
format.

Old April 9th 04, 07:58 PM
Stefan Patric

On Friday 09 April 2004 04:47 am, Jytzel wrote:

Thanks Stefan,

I'll be using 6x9 back most of the time. I was just worried about the
focusing issue. As a matter of fact I like 65 to 55 range for that
format.

Then, you shouldn't have any problems, but get the deepest recessed
board you can.

Your average recessed board for the Cambo is only 1" (25mm), and that's
all I see listed these days, but Cambo used to make a "deep" recessed
board for lenses 75mm and shorter to allow more room for camera
movements. See if you can get one of those -- new or used. It's
really worth it.

FWIW: I hope you're aware that 65 to 55mm lenses on 6x9 are not all
that wide. Roughly equivalent to 28 to 24, respectively, on 35mm. If
you want really wide angle on 6x9, consider the 47. Even an older used
version would do. I used to use a Brooks Veriwide, which is a 6x9 roll
film camera with a fixed, but focusable 47mm SA. It had a diagonal
angle of view of 100 degrees, and a horizontal view of little more than
90. I used it mostly for shooting interiors, where the client wanted
one shot to show it all. There was just no place to put lights that
wasn't in the shot. ;-) It also came in handy for shooting large
convention exhibit displays -- inside or out, where there's just no
room to back up: I could stand at the intersection of two 90 degree
pedestrian aisles and show everything that was inbetween them.