Best road bicycle for a grand

Old February 6th 05, 10:17 PM

Default Best road bicycle for a grand

Lewis Lang wrote:
Hi. I have about US $1,000 to spend, and I would like to get a bike

for
weekend riding. Is it possible to get something decent NEW for that
price, or will I need to go the USED route? Any suggestions? If you

had
only 1 grand to spend on a bike, what would you buy?

Thanks.

--

Lewis Lang

Yes you can. $1,000 is a major price point for manufacturers, so you
sometimes see some really good deals.
Maybe like $1100 because of shipping and tax.
Check out the Fuji team with ultegra, I've seen that for about a grand.

6000 ot 7000 series aluminum frames are the way to go, light and cheap.

Go to Performance or Nashbar, they are the wal-mart of cycling, but you
can get really sweet deals, I just got an Ultegra crankset with rings,
for a TT bike for $100.
Supergo too, they always offer complete bikes dirt cheap. You could
even
go as low as Shimano 105 group and still have a very nice light bike.
Marin seems to offer real cheap bikes, that seem a good deal. I've seen
some on Ebay with Ultegra for like $900.
The major skimp will probably be the wheels, which are really
important, but you can always upgrade those next year, get a pair of
Mavic Cosmos for like $300 and you're styled.
When you have more money, invest in some good tires too, they make a
big difference in how a bike feels.

Old February 6th 05, 10:19 PM

Lewis Lang wrote:
Hi. I have about US $1,000 to spend, and I would like to get a bike

for
weekend riding. Is it possible to get something decent NEW for that
price, or will I need to go the USED route? Any suggestions? If you

had
only 1 grand to spend on a bike, what would you buy?

Thanks.

--

Lewis Lang

Oh, I can't believe I forgot. also check out IBEX bikes, they are
strictly mail order, I raced an Ibex Team and it was great, and it's
like a $200 frame, fully built with Ultegra drivetrain and Ritchey
stuff for $1000 shipped.
ibexbicycles.com

Old February 6th 05, 10:21 PM
Mij Adyaw

What is this message doing in the photo newsgroups? Please do not reply to
this crap.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 12:56 AM
Scharf-DCA

There was some problem this morning, where you hit reply to the
original post in rec.bicycles.misc it would show up with
rec.photo.digital in the groups to reply to. I had to manually change
the group to avoid this. I thought it was something wrong with my
system, but apparently not.

Old February 7th 05, 01:28 AM
Terry Morse

Lewis Lang wrote:

Hi. I have about US $1,000 to spend, and I would like to get a bike for
weekend riding. Is it possible to get something decent NEW for that
price, or will I need to go the USED route? Any suggestions? If you had
only 1 grand to spend on a bike, what would you buy?

The Felt F60 is a bargain for an Ultegra-equipped bike:

http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f60.html

You should be able to find a 2004 model on closeout for about $1000.
Old February 7th 05, 05:40 AM
Lewis Lang

Subject: Best road bicycle for a grand
lobby!ngtf-m01.news.aol.com!ngpeer.news.aol.com!feed1.newsrea der.com!newsr
eader.com!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!newsfee d.icl.net
!newsfeed.fjserv.net!news-FFM2.ecrc.net!news.m-online.net!newsfeed.stueber
l.de!peer01.cox.net!cox.net!p01!fed1read06.POSTED! 53ab2750!not-for-mail
From: "Mij Adyaw"
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital, rec.photo.equipment.35mm

. com
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 14:21:52 -0800

What is this message doing in the photo newsgroups? Please do not reply
this crap.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lewis Lang wrote:
[...]

In a poor atttempt to disrupt not only the rec.photo.equipment and rec.photo.
digital groups (yet again) - and now posting on other usenet groups falsely
under my name - the troll has now chosen me as a target of its non-life.

Please be advised that the threads:

" Stolen images by Lewis Lang - What should I do?"

and

" Lewis Lang STOLE my images, What shall I do?"

" Drug-addict Rich Posiadlik of Portage Indiana is a junkie"

"Dallas Dahms is a racist, Mall Photographer"

and any other similarly claimed inflamatory/bigoted thread titles

as well as any questions being falsely asked in my name to rec.crafts and other
types of usenet groups are _not_ coming from me, Lewis Lang, but are
_prefabricated lies_ and _false accusations_ and/or phony (though seemingly
real/on topic) questions made by the "troll" (troublemaker who makes
lies/libel/etc. because he/it has no life) against me, Lewis Lang and/or
falsely posted as being from me or someone else, I, Lewis Lang, have not made
them.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE TROLLING POSTS AS THEY BOTH CLOG UP THE
NEWSGROUP(S) AND/OR THE RESPONSES END UP BEING CROSS-POSTED TO OTHER NEWSGROUPS
AS OFF-TOPIC REPLIES/RESPONSES AND CLOG THOSE NEWSGROUPS UP.

Do not suggest it needs to get a lawyer because I never stole his/its images,
nor does it even have any proof because it doesn't need proof to make a
lie/false accusation, nor will it supply any. Nor does he/it even have a
real/true identity (it posts masquerading as various people/under false names
from the anonymity of "googlegroups".

PLEASE LOOK BEYOND THE FALSE "FROM" LINE AND LOOK AT THE HEADERS OF THE POSTS
TO SEE WHERE THE POSTS REALLY COME FROM UNDER THE SECTIONS CALLED
"X-complaints" AND "X-trace" - MY/LEWIS LANG'S POSTS COME FROM THE AOL DOMAIN,
THE TROLL'S POSTS COME FROM GOOGLEGROUPS OR SOME OTHER DOMAIN.

Don't respond to its racist/etc. libel done in my name or under the name of any
other poster. It (the troll) is a liar and a thief that tries to childishly and
very poorly imitate other's identities. These trolling posts are not from the
authors it supposedly mimicks but from some cowardly moron with no life trying
to hide beneath the rock of anonymity it partially crawled out from under.

Don't respond to its lies by suggesting it get a lawyer as no theft has taken
place. Its just saying lies about me/libeling to cause trouble. You are being
had by a liar and a defamer (the troll).

Don't respond to its questions on other (non-photographic) topics as the
replies will be cross-posted off topic onto other newsgroups.

However, anybody who has ideas for lawyers that I can use to prosecute this
pond scum troll who is posting falsely under my name would be most welcome,
though ;-).

Alternatively (and/or in addition) I would appreciate suggestions for finding
out this troll's true identity (beyond its false names it gives and the
anonymity of the googlegroups source it posts from) so I can consider
prosecution for defamation of character and libel against me, Lewis Lang. For
all regulars, please feel free to killfile the threads mentioned above and/or
its troll author rather than complain to me that you don't like me defending
myself against the lies of this troll.

Suggestions about prosecution of the troll can be sent to the real Lewis Lang,
by "pinging" me on the real newsgroup I mostly participate on - rec.
photo.equipment.35mm. Only suggestions from real internet domains will be
entertained (as the troll has falsely posted both from googlegroups, hotmail
and other phony addresses).

Thank you very much for your kind help and understanding.

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm

Remove "nospam" to reply

***DUE TO SPAM, I NOW BLOCK ALL E-MAIL NOT ON MY LIST, TO BE ADDED TO MY LIST,
PING ME ON THE NEWSGROUP. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. :-) ***