2Mb xD

Old June 15th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John[_8_]

Default 2Mb xD

Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Just asking because a friend has one and it is showing a Card Error after
one use. Would it be better to have 1Mb cards?

Old June 15th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

John wrote:
Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Just asking because a friend has one and it is showing a Card Error after
one use. Would it be better to have 1Mb cards?

Usually not.

Card make? Camera model?

--
john mcwilliams
Old June 15th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

John wrote:
Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Probably. 2 Megabit might be enough for one digital photo taken with a
low-res web or phone cam.

jue

Old June 15th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:26:14 GMT, John wrote:

Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Just asking because a friend has one and it is showing a Card Error after
one use. Would it be better to have 1Mb cards?

I've been using one for nearly a year with no problems. If your
friend's card is showing an error that quickly it might be worth
trying to determine if it's really a good card that's producing the
Card Error message for some as yet undetermined reason. Was the
card ever formatted? Was it last formatted in the camera or in a
card reader? Is the camera known to be compatible with 2GB xD
cards? Is the error message reported while taking pictures, while
transferring pictures to the computer, or while in a card reader?
And last, what type of card is it? Type M or Type H?

Old June 15th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John[_8_]

"ASAAR" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:26:14 GMT, John wrote:

Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Just asking because a friend has one and it is showing a Card Error after
one use. Would it be better to have 1Mb cards?

I've been using one for nearly a year with no problems. If your
friend's card is showing an error that quickly it might be worth
trying to determine if it's really a good card that's producing the
Card Error message for some as yet undetermined reason. Was the
card ever formatted? Was it last formatted in the camera or in a
card reader? Is the camera known to be compatible with 2GB xD
cards? Is the error message reported while taking pictures, while
transferring pictures to the computer, or while in a card reader?
And last, what type of card is it? Type M or Type H?

Card was a Type M 2 Gb

Camera is a Olympus Mju 1000

Old June 15th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:21:34 GMT, John wrote:

I've been using one for nearly a year with no problems. If your
friend's card is showing an error that quickly it might be worth
trying to determine if it's really a good card that's producing the
Card Error message for some as yet undetermined reason. Was the
card ever formatted? Was it last formatted in the camera or in a
card reader? Is the camera known to be compatible with 2GB xD
cards? Is the error message reported while taking pictures, while
transferring pictures to the computer, or while in a card reader?
And last, what type of card is it? Type M or Type H?

Card was a Type M 2 Gb

Camera is a Olympus Mju 1000

Olympus's website states that the Stylus 1000 is compatible with
2GB cards, so that can be ruled out as a source of the problem.
That's about all I can offer until your friend provides answers to
some of the other questions, but Olympus has some advice from their
FAQ that may help :

When I put my xD-Picture Cardâ„¢ flash memory card into the camera and
turn it on, I get a “Card Error†message. What can I do?

This message occurs when the camera is unable to recognize the media card
or when an attempt to format a media card fails.

If you see this message after inserting a brand new card, refer to the
xD-Picture Card Compatibility Chart to verify that the card is supported
in your model. If the card is not supported, return it to the store where you
purchased it.

If the card is supported, it may need to be cleaned. Wipe the gold contacts
of the card with alcohol using a soft cloth or tissue. When the contacts are
dry, insert the card and turn the camera on.

If the Card Error message still appears, remove the card and insert a
different (supported) card into the camera. If the camera reads the
second card, then the camera is working properly and the problem lies
with the original card.

You may be able to use the card if you format it in the camera.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...asp?id=1267#26

Old June 16th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Sheehy

"John" wrote in news:IFBci.15$RD3.13@newsfe1-
gui.ntli.net:

Sorry - 2 Gb

Still not quite right. "Gb" means gigabit (128 megabytes). "GB" means
gigabyte.

--

John P Sheehy

Old June 16th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike Jacoubowsky

Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Just asking because a friend has one and it is showing a Card Error after
one use. Would it be better to have 1Mb cards?

As far as I know, all 2gig cards are Type M, which reads & writes quite a
bit more slowly than Type H. Also, many older card readers have issues with
Type H high-capacity cards (512meg seems to be the safe limit). But if
you've got a newer card reader, chances are you'll be fine, and for many
cameras, the read/write speed of the card is faster than the camera can deal
with anyway.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 16th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

wrote:

Is there a reason to be wary of the 2 Mb card?

Just asking because a friend has one and it is showing a Card Error after
one use. Would it be better to have 1Mb cards?

Any of your friends ever have a flat tire?
If so, stay away from that brand of tire!

Seriously, there's a thing called "sample defect". This means that
there will always be bad example of anything, even in nature. That you
have a simgle sample of a 2GB SD card not working is in no way
indicative of a failure of all 2GB SD cards.
There may be a lot of reasons your friend's camera/card combination is
throwing an error, and a bad card *might* be one of them.
Personally, I have four 2GB SD cards in various devices, and they all
work as advertised.

Hillary Clinton gave a high school commencement
speech at Constitution Hall in Washington D.C.
on Wednesday. She loves speaking at school
graduations. Normally when she tells people
how they should live, they are not required
to sit still for it.