Nikon 3200 - turned monitor off, can't turn it back on! Two salesman stumped

Old July 23rd 04, 03:39 PM
BeamGuy

Default Nikon 3200 - turned monitor off, can't turn it back on! Two salesman stumped

As the title says I was at the store last night trying out digital cameras. It may
sound silly but one of my major concerns is the ability to turn the monitor off
and have it stay off during shooting, even when I power off the camera and
turn it back on.

This concern started when I was wandering around Budapest with an earlier
version of the coolpix and I quite literally could not tell if the monitor was
on or off in the daylight. I don't care how great the lens and sensor and
marketing departments are, if the batteries are dead you don't get the
picture! Finding new batteries, even alkalines, in a foreign city is a chore!

So - back to the story. We found the menu item to turn the monitor off,
and did so. I was disappointed because while I do not want to use the
monitor as a viewfinder I do want it to flash the picture on the screen for
a few seconds after taking it, like most other cameras do. It did not do this.

Now for the surprise - we could not get the monitor to turn back on! Two
salesman & myself tried every which way. No go. I guess there is a master
reset someplace, I left with them looking for it.

Maybe this would be a little clearer if Nikon had provided a manual online
like nearly all other fortune 500 companies - I can't find it.

------------

I guess I will not buy a Nikon this time - though the hardware looks real
good. Better get to work on the firmware guys. And you do have a manual
don't you?

Old July 23rd 04, 07:42 PM
Tim Smith

On 2004-07-23, BeamGuy wrote:
As the title says I was at the store last night trying out digital
cameras. It may sound silly but one of my major concerns is the ability to
turn the monitor off and have it stay off during shooting, even when I
power off the camera and turn it back on.

This concern started when I was wandering around Budapest with an earlier
version of the coolpix and I quite literally could not tell if the monitor
was on or off in the daylight. I don't care how great the lens and sensor
and marketing departments are, if the batteries are dead you don't get the
picture! Finding new batteries, even alkalines, in a foreign city is a
chore!

This seems strange. I've seen some LCDs in various devices that are damned
hard to see in daylight, but never one so bad that I couldn't tell if it was
on or off if I held it near my eye and cupped my other hand around to block
some of the outside light. Is there something about that camera that makes
it impossible or difficult to do this?

--
--Tim Smith
Old July 23rd 04, 09:50 PM
G. Innipig

"BeamGuy" wrote in message
As the title says I was at the store last night trying out digital

cameras. It may

All this happened five times??

Old July 23rd 04, 09:50 PM
G. Innipig

Old July 26th 04, 04:04 AM
Bonzo

All this happened five times??

No - only once. And I posted it only once - but my nntp newserver kept not
responding. I posted an answer Friday too - once - my server has yet to accept
it. Maybe Monday it will get posted, maybe 5 times too.