time to sell my Nikon 6006 and all the lenses.......

Old April 16th 07, 05:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Default time to sell my Nikon 6006 and all the lenses.......

I haven't used my 6006 in about 5 years, nor any of it's
lenses (I have about 3). The lenses are so old that they
are AF and will not autofocus or even necessarily meter
properly in my new D40X - from what I understand.

And yet.....to part with it is so sad.

Is ebay the best place to sell or is there a better source
for good quality film camera and lenses in good shape?

TIA

Louise
Old April 16th 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to louise :
I haven't used my 6006 in about 5 years, nor any of it's
lenses (I have about 3). The lenses are so old that they
are AF and will not autofocus

??? "AF and will not autofocus?" This sounds contradictory
somehow. You mean that they have the "screwdriver" connector so there
must be a motor in the camera body to drive the autofocus mechanism,
instead of a motor in the lens to autofocus on electrical command from
the body?

or even necessarily meter
properly in my new D40X - from what I understand.

Do you already have the D40X If not, and if you have three
*good* lenses, that might make it worth while going for something like
the D200 which will meter with them. Or even the D70 or D80 probably.
If they *are* AF lenses, then they should meter with the D70 for sure,
and almost certainly with the D80 as well. If they are AI only, then
you would need to step up to the D200 to get metering, but I don't know
of any AI only lenses which are AF as well.

And yet.....to part with it is so sad.

Is ebay the best place to sell or is there a better source
for good quality film camera and lenses in good shape?

Personally -- I would consider getting a camera body to continue
to use the lenses instead of abandoning the lenses with the film body.
(I'm presuming that they are genuine Nikon lenses, not low-budget
third-party lenses.)

One of the reasons for buying Nikon when you already have Nikon
is to continue to use the "glass". And that would appear to also be a
reason to *not* buy the D40 or D40x. That route only makes sense if you
are going to need to buy all new lenses -- and don't plan to take
advantage of good used lenses which are on the used market.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old April 16th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

One of the reasons for buying Nikon when you already have Nikon
is to continue to use the "glass". And that would appear to also be a
reason to *not* buy the D40 or D40x. That route only makes sense if you
are going to need to buy all new lenses -- and don't plan to take
advantage of good used lenses which are on the used market.

I sometimes wonder if too much fuss is made about this d40 AF "issue". When
I first got my D70s I always let it take care of all focussing, but after a
while I got a bit fed up with the way it takes away some control and I now
tend to leave the focus switch on "manual" and use the focus ring instead.
I know some people say it's not easy to focus without the split prism
screens that their film cameras used to have, but I does not seem that
difficult to me. Most of my shooting is static subjects, but I guess if
someone were into fast action shooting then the AF could be more of an
issue.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old April 16th 07, 12:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Dave

louise wrote:
I haven't used my 6006 in about 5 years, nor any of it's lenses (I have
about 3). The lenses are so old that they are AF and will not autofocus
or even necessarily meter properly in my new D40X - from what I understand.

And yet.....to part with it is so sad.

Is ebay the best place to sell or is there a better source for good
quality film camera and lenses in good shape?

TIA

Louise

Hi Louise,

I did a little research and it appears that the only Nikon model that
won't work with full functions is the D40(x). You should be able to use
your lenses with all the other models (even a used D100).

If it were me and I already had the D40(x), I'd check with where I
bought it and see if I could return it for one of the other models.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Old April 16th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Say Cheese

"louise" wrote in message
I haven't used my 6006 in about 5 years, nor any of it's lenses (I have
about 3). The lenses are so old that they are AF and will not autofocus or
even necessarily meter properly in my new D40X - from what I understand.

And yet.....to part with it is so sad.

Is ebay the best place to sell or is there a better source for good
quality film camera and lenses in good shape?

TIA

Louise

Film is truly dead. I miss it and still play with it just out of nostalgia.

You will get so little for the lot that trouble is probably not worth the
money.

I got an 8008, nikon flash and two AF lenses off ebay a few months ago for
under $100, shipping did push it above that a bit

Old April 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Neil Harrington

"louise" wrote in message
I haven't used my 6006 in about 5 years, nor any of it's lenses (I have
about 3). The lenses are so old that they are AF and will not autofocus or
even necessarily meter properly in my new D40X - from what I understand.

Try 'em and see. If the lenses don't have the autofocus motor built in they
won't autofocus on your D40x, but you can still focus manually using the
focus indicator in the lower left of your viewfinder. That is less
convenient but it does work well. I don't think there'd be a problem with
metering, if they're Nikon AF lenses.

And yet.....to part with it is so sad.

Is ebay the best place to sell or is there a better source for good
quality film camera and lenses in good shape?

eBay is probably the best place to sell that stuff, but if you don't already
have some feedback there you may find buyers a bit cautious. The alternative
would be one of the places that buys used camera equipment for resale, like
KEH or Cameta. If your lenses include one or two well-liked items that
aren't duplicated by the lens you got with the D40x, you might prefer to
keep them for manual use rather than sell them for a pittance.

You can always check eBay for prices on the same or similar lenses to get an
idea of what they're going for.

Neil

Old April 16th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
DoN. Nichols

According to Adrian Boliston :
[...]

For most shots with my D70 I let the AF do its thing -- but I
have the focus zone locked on the central zone, instead of letting the
camera pick its own choice (e.g. whatever happens to be closest).
Occasionally I will personally move the autofocus zone, but usually I
will point the camera to center what I want to focus on, then lock the
focus in with a half-pressed shutter release.

There are times when manual focus is preferred -- the macro mode
of the 35-135mm f3.5-4.5 for example where the autofocus does not work,
and certainly with the lenses which don't *have* AF, or something on a
bellows or extension tubes for macro work.

If I *do* have an AF capability in the lens, I want to have it
work -- even if I choose not to use it from time to time.

Most of my shots are a case of spotting an image, whipping up
the camera and capturing it. For these, AF is a bonus. However, in the
few carefully set up shots, yes, manual focus is sometimes preferred.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old April 17th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to louise :
[...]

I did already purchase the D40x and for a very specific
reason: I have tiny hands and after trying some of the
other Nikon DSLRs, as well as the Canon, I chose the D40X
body on it's own merit. I also have a long and loving
history with Nikon and really felt more comfortable staying
with their products, but the main issue was how the camera
felt in my hands.

Yes, I do mean that my lenses have the "screwdriver"
connection and therefore, as I understand it, require the AF
motor to be in the camera body.

So, given that I've got the D40X and got it because I wanted
it, it seems "logical" to me that I should sell my 6006 and
the accompany lenses. Yes, they are Nikon lenses: Nikon AF
Nikkor 35 - 70, Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210 and an AF Nikkor
50mm 1.4.

They will manually focus, but my vision isn't everything I'd
like it to be and my work really does benefit from AF.

So, with this further description, what do you think I
should do?

Thanks again.

Louise

Old April 17th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Dave wrote:
louise wrote:
[...]

Hi,

Thanks for doing the research. As noted in my earlier post,
I bought the D40X after holding several other Nikon DSLRs
and one or two Canons. I have very small hands and the D40x
was really comfortable to hold - frankly, much more
comfortable than my 6006 ever was :-)

So, I am reluctant to give that up.

Louise
Old April 17th 07, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
louise

Neil Harrington wrote:
"louise" wrote in message
[...]

I do have good feedback on ebay and that probably wouldn't
be an issue.

My lenses a Nikon lenses: Nikon AF Nikkor 35 - 70,
Nikon AF Nikkor 70 - 210 and an AF Nikkor 50mm 1.4.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Louise