Long lens in the wild

Old January 22nd 21, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Long lens in the wild

This is nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1cLJQJPwQ

Some pretty cool scenery and I envy that guy in the wilderness.
It also show the advantage of having a light system not
requiring a tripod.
--
Alfred Molon

Olympus 4/3 and micro 4/3 cameras forum at
https://groups.io/g/myolympus
https://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
Old January 22nd 21, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

On Friday, January 22, 2021 at 12:20:17 PM UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
This is nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1cLJQJPwQ

Some pretty cool scenery and I envy that guy in the wilderness.
It also show the advantage of having a light system not
requiring a tripod.

Weight-vs-Performance of gear has been a perennial challenge, no matter
what particular activity is being discussed. Take for instance the debates
that lightweight backpackers go through.

Or even how much can be written about optimizing a "photography vehicle"
for ones specific use case / interests... case in point:

https://windinmyface.com/Sprinter-Buying.html

For photography, digital tech and the willingness to move to less-than-full-frame
has helped in reducing the size & weight of long telephoto systems.

And of course, what also gets shrunk is how much green is left in one's wallet
afterwards ... a quick search reveals that the 4.1lb long lens featured in that video
(the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25X IS PRO Lens) is
a mere $7500 ... once it becomes available.

Nevertheless, that's cheaper (and lighter) than the current equivalent capability in FF
such as the 7.7lb Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 180-400mm f/4E TC1.4 FL ED VR Lens ($12.4K)
or the 8lb Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x ($11K).

FWIW, regarding the 'not needing a tripod' comments, a couple of thoughts.
First, some of the video clips appear IMO to have been a little "too smooth"
to have been "handheld". Sure, it's likely that this photographer, being a pro, is
damn good and just did it through self-supporting techniques, but I don't even
note even the typical 1.4Hz motion of human biology...but in any event, for the
rest of us mortals who aren't practicing techniques daily, to be as steady typically
requires having in-field support (tripod/monopod), and/or post-processing.
Second, hiking with a monopod isn't a bad idea, not only for camera support but also
to help the human through the terrain as well...especially for those of us who
aren't under age 40 anymore...YMMV at what age its considered to be more of a
piece of "safety gear" than "hiking performance enhancer" (or "only for the camera").

-hh
Old January 22nd 21, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 22, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in s.net):

This is nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw1cLJQJPwQ

Some pretty cool scenery and I envy that guy in the wilderness.
It also show the advantage of having a light system not
requiring a tripod.

Agreed!

As a Fujifilm shooter I have my X-T3 combined with the XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS WR, and an X1.25TC.

That does not quite deliver the benefit of a constant aperture f/4.5, but my combo is weather resistant, and affordable until Fuji delivers additional, long, fast wildlife glass other than their non-zoom XF 200mm f/2.

Savageduck

Old January 23rd 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jan 22, 2021, Alfred Molon wrote
(in s.net):

In article
.com,
says...

As a Fujifilm shooter I have my X-T3 combined with the XF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 OIS WR, and an X1.25TC.

That does not quite deliver the benefit of a constant aperture f/4.5, but my combo is weather resistant, and affordable until Fuji delivers additional, long, fast wildlife glass other than their non-zoom XF 200mm f/2.

The X-T4 would give IBIS, which can make quite a difference in
some situations.

While IBIS would be nice to have. However, I would have preferred to have a body without the flip screen of the X-T4. I am not a vlogger, and having that screen flip out to the side is awkward, vulnerable, and for me useless. I much prefer the tilt screen on the X-T2/X-T3. Since the primary purpose of my X-T3 is stills photography, and very rarely video. For video I will stick to my Mavic Air 2 or GoPro 9.

Consider that he X-T3, X-Pro3, and X-T4 all have the same sensor, and CPU. The big difference is that darn flip screen and IBIS.

The XF 100-400mm has a quite good OIS which has worked well. Otherwise for the handful of non-stabilized lenses in my bag I can manage without IBIS. If it does come to a Fuji body I am comfortable with I will probably add it to my shopping list. Perhaps an X-T5, or X-Pro4.

Savageduck

Old January 23rd 21, 11:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article
.com,
says...

While IBIS would be nice to have. However, I would have preferred to have a body without the flip screen of the X-T4. I am not a vlogger, and having that screen flip out to the side is awkward, vulnerable, and for me useless. I much prefer the tilt screen on the X-T2/X-T3. Since the primary purpose of my X-T3 is stills photography, and very rarely video. For video I will stick to my Mavic Air 2 or GoPro 9.

Consider that he X-T3, X-Pro3, and X-T4 all have the same sensor, and CPU. The big difference is that darn flip screen and IBIS.

The XF 100-400mm has a quite good OIS which has worked well. Otherwise for the handful of non-stabilized lenses in my bag I can manage without IBIS. If it does come to a Fuji body I am comfortable with I will probably add it to my shopping list. Perhaps an X-T5, or X-Pro4.

You should give a try to IBIS. It means for instance that during
the blue hour you can shoot handheld. Allows you to quickly move
around and try different positions, without every time having to
set up a tripod. This matters, because depending on the season
and latitude the blue hour can be quite short (often only 20
minutes).

IBIS also helps a lot in non low light situations, because it
stabilises the sensor and substantially reduces motion blur
issues.

Then, the Olympus E-M1 has a flip screen, but I rarely use it

Old January 25th 21, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Incubus
wrote:

You should give a try to IBIS. It means for instance that during
the blue hour you can shoot handheld. Allows you to quickly move
around and try different positions, without every time having to
set up a tripod. This matters, because depending on the season
and latitude the blue hour can be quite short (often only 20
minutes).

IBIS also helps a lot in non low light situations, because it
stabilises the sensor and substantially reduces motion blur
issues.

Then, the Olympus E-M1 has a flip screen, but I rarely use it

IBIS was the one reason I had a look at the Pentax K1 and K1-II - the only
DSLR
with IBIS, to my knowledge. I get the same results with my VR lenses but
being
able to have pretty much the same thing with all my older lenses would be
nice.
It's one feature I wish Nikon would put in their full frame DSLRs. Of course,
it would probably cannibalise sales of their modern F-mount lenses.

in-lens is more effective for longer focal lengths, where it's most
needed.
in-camera works for any focal length, but is less effective at longer
focal lengths.
Old January 27th 21, 01:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

Most camera systems now combine both in their most recent offerings.

most cameras are smartphones, so no.