CSI New York developer formula.

Old February 6th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default CSI New York developer formula.

"nailer" wrote in message
it's totally science fiction, it has no relation to any
known
developer.
No, Richard. GC could not give you results for that
composition. As
fas as I know analytical chemistry - it is BS, there is no
method
(single) to detect and detrmine all components of a
developer in one
go.
Amen.

I was tempted to say it was just made up and should have.
I think they just wanted something that looked like a
developer formula and listed a bunch of stuff that is found
in developers. This is known as poetic license and also
keeps anyone from suing them.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old February 6th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"Richard Knoppow" wrote

I was tempted to say it was just made up and should have.
I think they [the CSI TV show] just wanted something that looked like a
developer formula

To their credit it had some resemblance to reality.

To their discredit very, very few things in the show
have any connection to reality whatsoever.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old February 6th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

"PATRICK GAINER" wrote in message
Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Last week's CSI New York had the murder leave a clue on a table. The clue
was a white residue that some wonder machine analyzied and the formula
for it came up on the screen. No explantion was given of what the numbers
are.

It was a photographic developer. The formula was: (any typos are mine)

Hydroquinione 5.91
Phenidone 6.02
Potassium metabisulphite 7.? (obscured)
Sodium carbonate 6.42
Sodium hydroxide 6.75
Potassium bromide 7.11

Anyone know what it was? Rodinal maybe?

Geoff.

Not Rodinal. Rodinal would have shown paraminophenolate, sodium and/or
potassium, sulfite and hydroxide ions. The residue of any developer
would not likely show the exact compounds that went into it. You
probably cannot get the metabisulfite back after it has been dissolved
in water and evaporated. Oxidation would have changed things, too. If I
had seen that episode, I would probably still be laughing. I don't know
many developers that would leave a white powder residue. Now, if it had
never been dissolved, maybe.

Xtol leaves a white residue, no? Either that or D76, as I've only used
three developers, and HC110 is definitely _brown_.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old February 17th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

[...]

Leaving aside the quite correct notion that residue from a deveoper is not
likely to show the individual compoents with any accuracy, it's safe to
say that the 'recipe' given is not D-76, since there is no Metol.

If one is to assume that the compents listed are correct, it looks similar
to two fine-grain P-Q (phenidone-hydroquinone) developers listed in one of
my reference books:

(1) FX-18 (Crawley, 1961)

Dssolve in order:
Water (80-100F) 800 cc
Sodium Sulfite (Anhyd) 100 g
Hydroquinone 6 g
Phenidone 0.10 g
Borax 2.5 g
Sodium Bisulfite 0.35 g
Potassium Bromide 1.6 g
Water (cold), to make 1000 cc

Can be used straight, or at 1:1 and discarded.
Use at 68F, for 5.5-9 min stock or 8-13 min at 1:1.

(2) (Unnamed but listed as similar to Microphen)

Sodium Sulfite (Anhyd) 100 g
Hydroquinone 5.0 g
Borax 3.0 g
Boric Acid 3.5 g
Phenidone 0.2 g
Potassium Bromide 1.0 g
Water to make 1000 cc

Use undiluted, average development time at 68F is 7-11 min for
medium-speed film.

You'll note that the ingredients given on the TV show are rather unlikely,
since any developer that contains both hydroquinone and phenidone contains
considerably more of the former than the latter. In the FX-18, the P:Q
ratio is 1:60, and in the second formula above, it's 1:25.

-Brian.
Old February 17th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:43:10 GMT, "B. Anthony Cutteridge"
wrote:

(2) (Unnamed but listed as similar to Microphen)

Sodium Sulfite (Anhyd) 100 g
Hydroquinone 5.0 g
Borax 3.0 g
Boric Acid 3.5 g
Phenidone 0.2 g
Potassium Bromide 1.0 g
Water to make 1000 cc

Use undiluted, average development time at 68F is 7-11 min for
medium-speed film.

The similarity to Microphen is in that this brew uses PQ but the
amount of Borax and Boric acid are significantly lower.

==
John - Photographer & Webmaster
www.puresilver.org - www.xs750.net