DVD's obsolete in 10 years?

Old July 16th 04, 01:50 AM
Sabineellen

Default DVD's obsolete in 10 years?

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,1484,00.html
Old July 16th 04, 03:31 AM
Arte Phacting

I would hope so - let's keep this heat of technology moving

besides, the answers in the question.

obsolete implies that there is something better - don't we want something
better?

Artie

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
. ..

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...yle_germany_us

Not that Bill is always right...

Old July 16th 04, 05:57 AM
G.T.

Alan Browne wrote:

George wrote:

"Sabineellen" wrote in message

Gates is absolutely right that DVDs are ridiculous in that they scratch

easily

and are too easily damaged. Nanotech is around the corner. Within 10
years
we'll probably have more durable media.

I agree...I can't believe how much money I've got sunk in DVD movies
and any
that have been
played more than 10 times seem to develop problems (and that doesn't even
address that about

Hmm. You must be real mean to your DVD's. I've never had a new one do
anything wrong. Some rentals skip or freeze, but a quick wipedown with
a kleenex fixes that.

I even bought a few used DVD's from the rental store and they are fine.

I rented 2 scratched beyond repair DVDs the same night. I check them a
lot closer nowadays but in my 20 or whatever years of renting tapes I
never had one that wasn't at least playable.

Greg

--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late

Old July 16th 04, 10:03 AM
Sabineellen

I rented 2 scratched beyond repair DVDs the same night. I check them a
lot closer nowadays but in my 20 or whatever years of renting tapes I
never had one that wasn't at least playable.

Greg

I wonder if Gates ever rented DVDs.
Old July 16th 04, 01:12 PM
Arte Phacting

hmm buy cheap. buy twice?

it used to be a truism especially when kit modifications could be measured
by the decade

Now, and in electronic-digital kit, IMHO it does not hold purely because the
rate of improvement and innovation can be measured in months

Artie

"Big Bill" wrote in message

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...fp/afplifestyl

e_germany_us

Not that Bill is always right...

Nobody is. However, this time he just might be. I find the damned

things
to be unreliable. I have two DVD players and a DVD reader/burner in my
computer. All three are fussy. We now ALWAYS rent movies on VHS, when

we
have that choice. I have stopped using writeable DVDs as backups for my
computer files. Far too many that I have burned have turned into

coasters.

I know all about treating them with TLC. None of that helps very much,
although I have been able to watch a movie or two from failed, rented

DVDs
by wiping God knows what off of the discs.

We rent movies from three different stores and I have taken the time to

ask
the sales clerks about their experiences with customers and DVDs and all
report the same thing: DVDs are a pain in the arse for customers and

rental
concerns alike. This technology is just too "fussy." Good riddance to

DVDs
and thank you Mr. Gates if you can give us some affordable alternatives.

Interestingly, I've been under the same sort of curse (for different
things, though).
Im my case, it seems that the less expensive solutions just don't
work; latest case in point, when I decided to get a solution for
converting the output from a VCR to digital so I could run it through
Studio, I tried several PCI card devices. They all resolutely refused
to work. So I got a Dazzle 150, and it worked right off.

As for burning my DVDs, I use a Sony DRU 510a, and it runs through any
disks I can put through it (even Fry's GQ stuff), and my friends have
no problem reading them in either their computers or set-tops. I have
a Sony set-top (I forget the model), and it reads everything
Blockbuster throws at it.

Bt, like I said, if I try to 'cheap out' and save a few bucks, it just
doesn't work for me.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old July 16th 04, 07:06 PM
Alan Browne

G.T. wrote:

I rented 2 scratched beyond repair DVDs the same night. I check them a
lot closer nowadays but in my 20 or whatever years of renting tapes I
never had one that wasn't at least playable.

I've rented tapes that were mangled. I've never had a DVD that
couldn't be played (although some had to be pulled and cleaned in
mid stream). The rental shop owner tells me that DVD's often
have to be sent out for surface repair (polishing, I guess).

I treat DVD's the away I've always treated my CD's: carefully.
Some DVD's I've rented looked like some kids had run them over
the floor after a trip through some sticky food.... but after a
polish they played. These incidences have also lowered over the
past year or so ... I suspect the store owner has figured out
who is abusing his DVD's and has read them the riot act.

Old July 17th 04, 03:39 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:12:36 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
wrote:

hmm buy cheap. buy twice?

Not anymore. :-)
I've learned to not buy cheap in the first place.
In my experience, it's less expensive to buy more expensive in the
first place; replacement is not the only cost of ownership.

it used to be a truism especially when kit modifications could be measured
by the decade

Now, and in electronic-digital kit, IMHO it does not hold purely because the
rate of improvement and innovation can be measured in months

While largely true, the original device still does what it did when
bought, even after a few cycles of 'improvements'.
If the original still serves the needs, there's not much reason to buy
newer.

Artie

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"