DX6490 Burst Mode Question

Old January 13th 05, 11:27 AM
Dave K.

Default DX6490 Burst Mode Question

Hey gang-

I've had a Kodak DX6490 for about a year, and for the most part I really
like it. But I've only recently tried the burst-mode, and what I'm
seeing just doesn't seem right.

When shooting begins, the viewfinder goes dark. Yes- I know- that's the
way it works in single-shot mode too. But in Burst Mode, doesn't it
seem like the viewfinder should stay active until you release the
shutter? How are you supposed to pan with a moving subject with no
viewfinder?

Can anyone else with a DX6490 tell me if yours does this too?

Thanks!

Dave

--

Email reply to after removing the NOSPAM
Old January 13th 05, 01:42 PM
Ron Hunter

Dave K. wrote:
Hey gang-

I've had a Kodak DX6490 for about a year, and for the most part I really
like it. But I've only recently tried the burst-mode, and what I'm
seeing just doesn't seem right.

When shooting begins, the viewfinder goes dark. Yes- I know- that's the
way it works in single-shot mode too. But in Burst Mode, doesn't it
seem like the viewfinder should stay active until you release the
shutter? How are you supposed to pan with a moving subject with no
viewfinder?

Can anyone else with a DX6490 tell me if yours does this too?

Thanks!

Dave

That is normal action for the 6490. I believe the 7590 cures this problem.

Old January 13th 05, 03:25 PM
Ron Baird

Greetings Dave,

Yes, that is how the camera works. In the later DX7590 this feature was
improved to include viewing of the burst. Since the viewfinder is electronic
and sees the same thing as the LCD, both will be dark during the burst
sequence. If you are panning, continue to follow the action in the same
plane as the first exposure. The camera will take up to 6 pictures at a max
of 3 frames a second.

Talk to you soon, Dave, let me know if you have any other questions or if
you think I can help.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

news:1gqbdos.wvmc461f95x6wN%see_signature_for_emai ...

Old January 14th 05, 04:40 AM
Ben Thomas

Ron Hunter wrote:
Dave K. wrote:

Hey gang-

I've had a Kodak DX6490 for about a year, and for the most part I really
like it. But I've only recently tried the burst-mode, and what I'm
seeing just doesn't seem right.
When shooting begins, the viewfinder goes dark. Yes- I know- that's the
way it works in single-shot mode too. But in Burst Mode, doesn't it
seem like the viewfinder should stay active until you release the
shutter? How are you supposed to pan with a moving subject with no
viewfinder?

Can anyone else with a DX6490 tell me if yours does this too?
Thanks!

Dave

That is normal action for the 6490. I believe the 7590 cures this problem.

That news is truly disheartening. To know that they could have made the
viewfinder continue to show what you were shooting but chose not to seems like a
very low/underhanded thing to do.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Old January 14th 05, 08:37 AM
Ron Hunter

Ben Thomas wrote:
Ron Hunter wrote:

Dave K. wrote:

[...]

There are always limitations imposed on functions based on the power of
the internal processor, and the various display components. I agree
this is not a great feature, and it is only one reason I won't buy an
EVF camera.

--
Ron Hunter