ilford rapid fixer

Old June 16th 04, 07:57 PM
Beppe Alborč

Default ilford rapid fixer

help!
i have a question for you (i hope you can help me...) :
how many 35mm rolls can you fix with a 1 litre bottle of 1+4 diluted "ilford
rapid fixer" solution ?
(this liter i'm talking about is composed by 200 ml of pure ilford rapid
fixer and 800 ml of water)

P.S. : i hope i've been clear, and excuse my english, but i'm italian !

Old June 16th 04, 08:09 PM
James Robinson

"Beppe Alborč" wrote:

help!
i have a question for you (i hope you can help me...) :
how many 35mm rolls can you fix with a 1 litre bottle of 1+4 diluted "ilford
rapid fixer" solution ?
(this liter i'm talking about is composed by 200 ml of pure ilford rapid
fixer and 800 ml of water)

P.S. : i hope i've been clear, and excuse my english, but i'm italian !

You can fix 24 X 36 exposure rolls per liter of working solution..
Old June 16th 04, 11:18 PM
Dan Quinn

"Beppe Alborč" wrote

help!
i have a question for you (i hope you can help me...) :
how many 35mm rolls can you fix with a 1 litre bottle of 1+4 diluted
"ilford rapid fixer" solution ?
(this liter i'm talking about is composed by 200 ml of pure ilford
rapid fixer and 800 ml of water)

That depends on the film. Films vary in their amount of silver.
Also the type of silver varies.
I use fixer one-shot. If you wish to test, start with one ounce of
concentrate, 30ml, in whatever amount of solution is needed. Too little
concentrate will leave the film cloudy and perhaps colored.
Be sure to use enough to clear the film plus a little more. Dan
Old June 16th 04, 11:31 PM
Silvio Bacchetta

"Beppe Alborč" ha scritto:
help!
i have a question for you (i hope you can help me...) :
how many 35mm rolls can you fix with a 1 litre bottle of 1+4 diluted "ilford
rapid fixer" solution ?

According to the label, 24 rolls. If I remember correctly, it is
recommended to use the diluited solution within one week.

--
Registered user at http://counter.li.org # 170453
Jabber JID:

Old June 17th 04, 12:50 AM
John Stockdale

"Beppe Alborč" wrote in message ...
help!
i have a question for you (i hope you can help me...) :
how many 35mm rolls can you fix with a 1 litre bottle of 1+4 diluted "ilford
rapid fixer" solution ?
(this liter i'm talking about is composed by 200 ml of pure ilford rapid
fixer and 800 ml of water)

P.S. : i hope i've been clear, and excuse my english, but i'm italian !

Have a look at:

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html

Your English is very good, but Ilford also have some info in Italian
at the web site, but perhaps not the full range of pdfs have been
translated.
Old June 17th 04, 04:14 AM
Donald Qualls

Beppe Albor=E8 wrote:

help!
i have a question for you (i hope you can help me...) :
how many 35mm rolls can you fix with a 1 litre bottle of 1+4 diluted "i=

lford
rapid fixer" solution ?
(this liter i'm talking about is composed by 200 ml of pure ilford rapi=

fixer and 800 ml of water)
=20
P.S. : i hope i've been clear, and excuse my english, but i'm italian =

!

According to Ilford, you can fix 20 rolls (135-36 or 120) with a liter=20
of that film strength dilution. In practice, it will vary slightly=20
depending on the film you're fixing; the best test is a clearing time=20
test: put a drop of fixer on a piece of undeveloped film (in the light,=20
so you can see what's happening). Wait one minute, then put the film=20
into your graduate of fixer and start a timer; when you can't tell the=20
spot made by the original drop from the rest of the film, stop the=20
timer. Do this with fresh fixer, and whenever it's convenient as you=20
use the solution; you should fix modern films for three times the=20
clearing time, and when the clearing time has doubled from the original=20
value, your fixer should be considered exhausted and replaced with fresh.=

However: if you mix up two separate bottles of fixer, label one "Fixer=20
1" and the other "Fixer 2" and give your film half its fixing time in=20
"Fixer 1" and the second half in "Fixer 2" you'll both get a better fix, =

and make your fixer last longer; after 20 rolls, discard or recycle (for =

silver recovery) the "Fixer 1" solution, replace it with the liquid from =

the "Fixer 2" bottle, and fill "Fixer 2" with freshly mixed fixer. You=20
can do this up to about five cycles before you need to replace both=20
(because of bromide and iodide carry over), and you'll get both better=20
fixing (which helps your negatives clear better and last longer) and=20
longer fixer life (twice the manufacturer's rating); all it costs is one =

extra bottle to store the second fixer solution.

--=20
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old June 17th 04, 11:42 PM
Dan Quinn

Donald Qualls wrote

According to Ilford, you can fix 20 rolls (135-36 or 120) with a liter
of that film strength dilution. In practice, it will vary slightly
depending on the film you're fixing; the best test is a clearing time
test: put a drop of fixer on a piece of undeveloped film (in the light,
so you can see what's happening). Wait one minute, then put the film
into your graduate of fixer and start a timer; when you can't tell the
spot made by the original drop from the rest of the film, stop the
timer. Do this with fresh fixer, and whenever it's convenient as you
use the solution; you should fix modern films for three times the
clearing time, and when the clearing time has doubled from the original
value, your fixer should be considered exhausted and replaced with fresh.

The 1:3 dilution is the one you have in mind? I take it the test
for the clearing time of fresh fixer calls for the sacrifice of one
roll of film?
Why not go by Ilford's instructions and put 80 rolls of film
through that one liter of concentrate at a 1:3 dilution? That would
be in accord with what they have written would it not? Dan
Old June 18th 04, 03:20 AM
Donald Qualls

Dan Quinn wrote:

Donald Qualls wrote

[...]

The dilution is 1:4, according to my bottle, and I was incorrect -- it's
24 rolls they recommend. The 80 figure is for 8x10 RC prints in film
strength fixer.

And no, if you read what you quoted above, you'll note I said a "piece
of film", not a whole roll. All you need is enough to see how long it
takes to clear; the clipped leader from 35 mm works fine. You're not
testing the capacity of the working solution, you're testing its
activity, which doesn't require a certain amount of film area.

Old June 18th 04, 10:30 AM
Dan Quinn

Donald Qualls wrote

Dan Quinn wrote:

Donald Qualls wrote

[...]

I'm quite sure the dilution for the last few years has been 1:3.
I'm quite sure the dilution prior to that was 1:4.
At any rate 120 rolls of film per liter of concentrate. Why not
go ahead and put the 120 rolls through that one liter of concentrate?
I think the OP is interested in the capacity. That's all that's
been mentioned so far. What's the point in testing for "activity"
unless it can be directly associated with capacity? Dan
Old June 18th 04, 12:13 PM
James Robinson

Dan Quinn wrote:

I'm quite sure the dilution for the last few years has been 1:3.
I'm quite sure the dilution prior to that was 1:4.

The bottle I purchased last week recommends a 1:4 dilution.

The on-line documentation, dated 2002, recommends a 1:4 dilution:

"For all film fixing applications ILFORD RAPID FIXER
is diluted 1+4 with water."

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...apid_fixer.pdf