Settled on D40x, now what?

Old September 19th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mark Katz

Default Settled on D40x, now what?

Warning - long message follows.

Background: my "current" camera is a Sony Mavica FD-91. It has done
well but it's long overdue for replacement. Thus, I don't have any
lenses lying around. I use the camera mostly for vacation photos
(inside and out), family events, household happenings, etc.

I've done enough research on the cameras to decide that the D40X will
do the job for me (only thing I wish it would do is bracketing and
RAW+JPEG-Fine but I can live without those).

I've also decided to get the 18-200 VR lens that has been discussed
here and elsewhere. Take that as a given.

So here are my questions:
1. Should I get the 40X body only or the 18-55 kit. I'm leaning toward
the kit since it would give me a smaller lighter lens choice for those
days when I know I won't need a lot of zoom for not much more money. Or
should I get the body and a different wide/low-zoom lens. Or just the
body (some have told me that the kit or other wide lens would be
redundant with the 18-200 VR).

2. Other than an SD card or two, what else would be good to get at the
same time? For example:
a) Strap? Which one?
b) Extra battery?
c) Filters?
d) Flash? Is the built in one OK or do I need a stronger one? Which?
e) Bag which will hold camera, both lenses, extra battery, flash and
not much else. I have a case for the Mavica (I can't find it or a
really similar bag online to show, but it's about 7" x 12" x 8" high
and rectangular. It fits the Mavica and a large supply (50) of floppy
disks but might be a bit big for the new camera. My main beef with the
old bag is that it sticks out too much from my body when carried with
the shoulder strap, so something flatter would be nice.

3. Can someone recommend a good book on digital photography that spends
more pages covering exposure, lighting, ISO, etc, and fewer pages
coviering Photoshop and its cohorts. I would like to learn how to get
better results right out of the camera, rather than futzing with each
photo to make it look good.

Phew, that's it for now,

Thanks in advance, Mark
Old September 19th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

"Mark Katz" wrote in message

3. Can someone recommend a good book on digital photography that spends
more pages covering exposure, lighting, ISO, etc, and fewer pages
coviering Photoshop and its cohorts. I would like to learn how to get
better results right out of the camera, rather than futzing with each
photo to make it look good.

Phew, that's it for now,

Thanks in advance, Mark

OK, if you don't want to "futz", don't shoot raw. All the other things,
exposure, ISO, etc, are probably covered well enough in any old film
photography book in your local library. Or, Google searches for the topics
you mentioned.

Changing the ISO to a higher number is like magically letting in more light
without changing f-stop or shutter speed. The problem is the higher the ISO
the more noise aka, "grain". Longer shutter times generally will result in
greater depth of field, which means more things in your photo are in focus,
but you better use a tripod because the shutter is open too long for
hand-holding without camera motion blur ruining the shot. Smaller f-stop
numbers (larger aperture) means more light comes in, which means smaller
depth of field, which means the subject in focus will stand out from the
background which will be out of focus. Be careful with small f-stop numbers
on a "fast lens" (smaller the f-stop number the "faster" the lens) or a
subjects nose might be in focus but not the eyes. High shutter speeds are
great for most sports to stop the action, but your depth of field may be
shallow. High shutter speeds don't always work well for sports, like
motorsports, where you don't want the wheels stopped on a car so it appears
to be parked. However, high shutter speeds are great for when the car is
crashing: I usually shoot in shutter speed mode so I can quick boost it way
up the moment someone goes out of control. :-)

Old September 19th 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
sheepdog 2007

On 2007-09-19 14:54:01 -0700, Mark Katz said:

Warning - long message follows.

I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes (I'm new around here) but I
speak as someone who has long experience in film photography and the
graphic arts, yet I'm very much in the learning stage about digital
cameras, so I'm relating some newbie experience with my D80 FWIW.

[...]

I had an 18-55 and thought it was a pretty good lens for the price.
Keep in mind that price is about a hundred bucks. Not much for a
high-tech AF zoom with ED glass. There are a bunch of them available on
eBay, as their owners discover that much better image quality is
available in other mid-range zooms. The 24-85 is a good example.

2. Other than an SD card or two, what else would be good to get at the
same time? For example:
a) Strap? Which one?

I'll probably get a Domke, as I've always been partial to them, but for
now the one that came with the camera suits me fine.

b) Extra battery?

Definitely a good idea, IMO.

c) Filters?

I would never use any lens I care about outdoors without a UV for
protection from flying grit..

d) Flash? Is the built in one OK or do I need a stronger one? Which?

I got an SB-400 and it's surprisingly powerful--also has bounce
capability. I have an SU-4 that lets me trigger my old SB-28 as a slave.

e) Bag which will hold camera, both lenses, extra battery, flash and
not much else. I have a case for the Mavica (I can't find it or a
really similar bag online to show, but it's about 7" x 12" x 8" high
and rectangular. It fits the Mavica and a large supply (50) of floppy
disks but might be a bit big for the new camera. My main beef with the
old bag is that it sticks out too much from my body when carried with
the shoulder strap, so something flatter would be nice.

My stuff is in an old aluminum Haliburton. That's just my own preference.

3. Can someone recommend a good book on digital photography that spends
more pages covering exposure, lighting, ISO, etc, and fewer pages
coviering Photoshop and its cohorts. I would like to learn how to get
better results right out of the camera, rather than futzing with each
photo to make it look good.

Until you buy some books, check out this website for a lot of basics:

http://photo.net/learn/

Phew, that's it for now,

Thanks in advance, Mark

--
Cease then to grieve for your private afflictions, and address
yourselves instead to the safety of the republic

Old September 20th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Sep 19, 5:54 pm, Mark Katz wrote:
[...]

D-40X is a good camera for familt photos, I'm not a fan of the 18-200,
but I don't see it being better or worse than the 18-55, the latter
would be redundant if you buy the 18-200, you could also get the 18-55
and the 55-200, which would be a little better on the long end. I have
heard the 18-200 is really about equal to a 180mm on the long side.
The 55-200 has been a surprising lens for the cost, I'd look at both
alternatives.
Get an extra battery, extra 2gb SD card (could go with 2 4gb) again
either or, I have 4 2gb CF cards with my D200.
Filters are OK for your lenses, they will be slightly better without,
haven't used filters (except for color balancing with film or a
polarizer) in 40 years, never had a lens go down the tubes from front
element scratching, two lenses I have have been with me since college.
I have seen a couple of occasions where filters greatly degraded
images. Buy good filters if you must (Hoya Pro, B&W, Helioplan or
Nikon), so one will cost about what you pay for the 18-55. Get the
clear glass, digital sensors are resistant to UV radiation.
Most digital cameras do better with RAW than jpeg, but you can
certainly do alright with jpegs right out of the camera. RAW isn't
just for compensating for bad exposures, most of my photos I spend
less than 30 seconds in Photoshop, Adobe ACR processing, but I always
process them in 16bit for max quality, does make a difference. For
home type pictures jpeg would be fine, but try working with RAW, you
can really massage the best out of an image. Pick up Photoshop
Elements or Nikon Capture NX.

Hope this helps
Tom

Old September 20th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Ruether

"Mark Katz" wrote in message ...

Warning - long message follows.

Background: my "current" camera is a Sony Mavica FD-91. It has done
well but it's long overdue for replacement. Thus, I don't have any
lenses lying around. I use the camera mostly for vacation photos
(inside and out), family events, household happenings, etc.

I've done enough research on the cameras to decide that the D40X will
do the job for me (only thing I wish it would do is bracketing and
RAW+JPEG-Fine but I can live without those).

Yes.

I've also decided to get the 18-200 VR lens that has been discussed
here and elsewhere. Take that as a given.

Why? The 18-70mm Nikkor is excellent (probably a bit better) and
far cheaper.

So here are my questions:
1. Should I get the 40X body only or the 18-55 kit. I'm leaning toward
the kit since it would give me a smaller lighter lens choice for those
days when I know I won't need a lot of zoom for not much more money. Or
should I get the body and a different wide/low-zoom lens. Or just the
body (some have told me that the kit or other wide lens would be
redundant with the 18-200 VR).

I would get only the 18-70mm of the above possibilities, and add
the 55-200VR later, if long lenses are "your thing".

2. Other than an SD card or two, what else would be good to get at the
same time? For example:
a) Strap? Which one?

I hate all straps other than a wrist strap made from a suitable shoe lace.
I think that the only neck strap one should need to deal with is the one
on the bag, and when not in use, the camera should be in the bag.

b) Extra battery?

Yes.

c) Filters?

UV, Hoya *single-coated*, in the appropriate thread size(s). These
are excellent, cheap, easy to clean, and they in no way affect image
quality, contrary to some opinion...;-)

d) Flash? Is the built in one OK or do I need a stronger one? Which?

I would look at the SB-400, if you feel you need it (likely it would
be better for most purposes than the built-in camera flash).

e) Bag which will hold camera, both lenses, extra battery, flash and
not much else.

Look at Ritz Camera or similar for a canvas type of the appropriate
size that is also easy to get gear into and out of and has dividers to
keep gear separated (but which do not bury some gear under other
gear). It is also useful to have small external slots with Velcro flaps
for cards, batteries, notepad, pen, maybe the charger, etc. Avoid
the "leather-look" bags, since they offer no rain protection (I learned
that the hard way when mine wicked water from the floor and the
entire bag got soaked).

I have a case for the Mavica (I can't find it or a
really similar bag online to show, but it's about 7" x 12" x 8" high
and rectangular. It fits the Mavica and a large supply (50) of floppy
disks but might be a bit big for the new camera. My main beef with the
old bag is that it sticks out too much from my body when carried with
the shoulder strap, so something flatter would be nice.

There are many good bags in many different sizes and proportions
available...

3. Can someone recommend a good book on digital photography that spends
more pages covering exposure, lighting, ISO, etc, and fewer pages
coviering Photoshop and its cohorts. I would like to learn how to get
better results right out of the camera, rather than futzing with each
photo to make it look good.

Any good photography book should help with this...

Phew, that's it for now,

Thanks in advance, Mark

No problem - have fun!
--