Sony A100 Tests

Old October 2nd 06, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default Sony A100 Tests

Hi All,

I've uploaded two review articles of the Sony A100 dSLR covering daytime
and nighttime image noise and the effectiveness of the built-in
anti-shake technology, plus RAW files you can download to look at
yourself, if so inclined. The article is at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php

The next few days I'll be putting up similar tests for the Canon 30D,
Panasonic FZ50 and Sony H1.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
of Design
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/
Old October 2nd 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rudy Benner

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message
Hi All,

I've uploaded two review articles of the Sony A100 dSLR covering daytime
and nighttime image noise and the effectiveness of the built-in anti-shake
technology, plus RAW files you can download to look at yourself, if so
inclined. The article is at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php

The next few days I'll be putting up similar tests for the Canon 30D,
Panasonic FZ50 and Sony H1.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne J. Cosshall
Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography
http://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
Coordindinator of Studies, Multimedia and Photomedia, Australian Academy
of Design
Personal art site http://www.artinyourface.com/

Anyone else have trouble with this file ? File is too short. Tried grabbing
it several time.

All of them open fine in PS.

http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/...s/a100/100.ARW

Old October 2nd 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

Rudy Benner wrote:
[...]

Hi Rudy,

Yes, there is a problem with that file on the site server. I am
reuploading it now. Give it 10 minutes and it should be there.

Sorry and thanks for making me aware of the problem,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old October 2nd 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rudy Benner

Rudy Benner wrote:
[...]

Yup, that did it. Thanks.

Off to the hospital for more damned physiotherapy. Meanwhile the light is
just PERFECT and I miss it.

Old October 2nd 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

Yup, that did it. Thanks.

Off to the hospital for more damned physiotherapy. Meanwhile the light is
just PERFECT and I miss it.

Maybe you could figure a way to shoot whilst on the way or during the
physio? Maybe a small compact or tiny video camera and do something
different with the results?

Hope the physio works,

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old October 2nd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
Hi All,

I've uploaded two review articles of the Sony A100 dSLR covering daytime
and nighttime image noise and the effectiveness of the built-in
anti-shake technology, plus RAW files you can download to look at
yourself, if so inclined. The article is at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php

The next few days I'll be putting up similar tests for the Canon 30D,
Panasonic FZ50 and Sony H1.

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne,

I like your night time tests, as they show a lot. But many (all I looked
at) of the daytime tests are of complex scenes that hide the noise
(e.g. twigs and leaves). Why not shoot the same city scenes for
the daytimes shots, so people can better see the noise?

I have quantitative noise analysis for a number of digital cameras at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ensor_analysis

Roger

Old October 2nd 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

Wayne,

I like your night time tests, as they show a lot. But many (all I looked
at) of the daytime tests are of complex scenes that hide the noise
(e.g. twigs and leaves). Why not shoot the same city scenes for
the daytimes shots, so people can better see the noise?

I have quantitative noise analysis for a number of digital cameras at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ensor_analysis

Roger

Hi Roger,

It is a juggling act. I can go and shoot daytimes there too and in fact
will from now on. I have had people wanting the complex shots so they
can also judge amount of natural softness, etc. And of course I've been
criticized by some for doing any of this at all. You can't win.

So, I'll shoot the city scene in all new tests and put those up too.
Thanks for the useful suggestion. It is easy for me to do if it is helpful.

I'll put a link over to your excellent testing work from my camera test
page.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old October 3rd 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Laurence Payne

On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:25:38 +1000, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

I've uploaded two review articles of the Sony A100 dSLR covering daytime
and nighttime image noise and the effectiveness of the built-in
anti-shake technology, plus RAW files you can download to look at
yourself, if so inclined. The article is at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php

The anti-shake examples interest me.

I note you blame mirror slap for the poor results at 1/8, both with
and without AS? But results are good at 1/4.

How did you quantify the amount of shake? I believe there's an
indicator in the viewfinder that tells you when shake is of a
correctable level. How many bars was it showing in each case? Were
the poor results at 1/8 and good ones at 1/4 repeatable?

Thank you.
Old October 3rd 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wayne J. Cosshall

wrote:

I've uploaded two review articles of the Sony A100 dSLR covering daytime
and nighttime image noise and the effectiveness of the built-in
anti-shake technology, plus RAW files you can download to look at
yourself, if so inclined. The article is at:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/cameras/camtests.php

The anti-shake examples interest me.

I note you blame mirror slap for the poor results at 1/8, both with
and without AS? But results are good at 1/4.

How did you quantify the amount of shake? I believe there's an
indicator in the viewfinder that tells you when shake is of a
correctable level. How many bars was it showing in each case? Were
the poor results at 1/8 and good ones at 1/4 repeatable?

Thank you.

I must say I don't recall how many bars were showing, I was not paying
attention to them.

It was my guess that this was mirror slap at that shutter speed based
purely on the handling of the camera and observations of other SLRs
recently. I could also just have been more shaky for those exposures but
I was making an effort to relax into the same position for each shot.
This was the only test where I went down so low in shutter speed, not
expecting it to be effective at such low shutter speeds (given the focal
length).

I'll get the camera back off Sony and do some more testing.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old October 4th 06, 10:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 07:37:24 +1000, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
wrote:

I must say I don't recall how many bars were showing, I was not paying
attention to them.

It was my guess that this was mirror slap at that shutter speed based
purely on the handling of the camera and observations of other SLRs
recently. I could also just have been more shaky for those exposures but
I was making an effort to relax into the same position for each shot.
This was the only test where I went down so low in shutter speed, not
expecting it to be effective at such low shutter speeds (given the focal
length).

I'll get the camera back off Sony and do some more testing.

It does seem odd that mirror slap should be an issue at 1/8 but not at
1/4.

I've been playing with a Sony. The viewfinder indication of how much
you're shaking- if it doesn't hit full scale, you've theoretically got
a good shot - strikes me as potentially very useful. Do cameras with
in-lens AS have a similar display?