[SI] - Entrances & Exits - my comments

Old August 2nd 04, 11:09 PM
Alan Browne

Default [SI] - Entrances & Exits - my comments

McLoed - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061878
Brings a different interpretation to 'exit' with the principle
subjects going their seperate ways - one somewhat involuntarily.
Shot focuses on the subject and includes other spectators
looking on with varying degrees of low key emotion. Funny in the
way the cowboy has landed and the horse seems to be adding a
"good riddance" buck to his departure...

Jim Kramer - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061915
"'Come into my parlor', said the spider to the fly." is the
entrance theme to this shot. The use of the flash to brighten up
the web lines is well done. Perspective and depth is a bit
confusing.

Bob Hickey - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061916
Shot appears low contrast despite the B&W sytyle that would
usually result in a high contrast shot. I assume that Bob is
having some trouble with the scanner, his monitor or something.
The framing of the shot is good with the exception of the railing
in front that detracts from the overall image. This image
contains entrances/exits in the foreground, the building and the
bridge tower... so an overachiever of sorts. I would have
preferred higher contrast/sharper image.

Ken Nadvornick - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061917
The overal clutter of this shot detracts from the theme objective
a little bit. We do see it of course (we're looking for it), but
the shot seems more about tacky decorating than anything else...
contrast is very good as evidenced in the various hubcap detail.

Mike Henley - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061918
This shot is taken with an unsettling tilt of the camera that
makes one peer at it to get oriented. Meets the mandate and
results in an image that draws the eye around.

Eric Quesnel-Williams - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061919
I was about to make sneering comments about vignetting until I
noticed the equiment used. Leave it to Eric to experiment with a
Holga while submitting to the SI. The E&E mandate is not well
met as the lock doors are a bit lost in the BG ... and the
perspecitve lines draw our eye to the various people and the
bridge in the far BG. Kudos for equipment type used!

Bret Douglas - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061920
A pretty low key shot for Mr. Fabulous. Good theme interpretation.

Rich Pos - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061921
Very pleasing flat on perspective shot relieved by the expansive
of red paint and open area on the left.

Motjaba Talaian - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061922
Vignetting, tilted, slow shutter speed and unfocused are the
technical dismerits. The girl's posture and inquisitive gaze are
good points that would have been enhanced by a tighter cropping
of the image ... OTOH this wider view enhances her smallness in a
big person's world. It is clear that she has some relationship
to the entrance of the building.

Chibitul - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061923
One of my favourites in this shootin for a different
interpretation of what can enter and exit what. You've got air
(cooling), interfaces and the speaker, even an "ESC"ape key.
Cropping the upper 5% to cut out the dark triangle would have
been favourable to the image I think.

Alan Browne - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061924
My son is challenged at the gate to Louisbourg (Cape Breton).
Not knowing the password, but being a French speaker, he was
treated to a history lesson from the guard. Even the many clues
dropped by the guard were not enough and my son was conditionally
admitted as "Etranger". I was admitted as "Ami" knowing that
Louis XV's mother was Marie and that Montreal was then called
"Ville Marie".

Vic Mason - http://www.pbase.com/image/32066974
Regarding the mandate I'm a bit fuzzy on this ones relationship
to entrances and exits. Whites are blown out (shoot flowers in
open shade).

Brian Baird - http://www.pbase.com/image/32076418
Good figure study. Amiguity regarding entrance or exit, and
perhaps a bit fo humor if that is the bathroom beyond?

Al Denelsbeck - http://www.pbase.com/image/32110577
Unusual moon sequence. Nice try. Lot's of time on your hands
Al? Technically demanding shot, I'll guess lunar-11 and down a
couple stops near the horizon. For the mandate a bit ambiguous.

If more shots appear, I'll add comments later.

Cheers,
Alan

Old August 2nd 04, 11:53 PM
Brian C. Baird

In article ,
says...
Brian Baird -
http://www.pbase.com/image/32076418
Good figure study. Amiguity regarding entrance or exit, and
perhaps a bit fo humor if that is the bathroom beyond?

It is indeed the bathroom behind me. Good call.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

Old August 3rd 04, 01:46 AM
Sabineellen

Thanks Alan... I'm gonna use your excellent reviews to piggyback my comments...

McLoed - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061878

I hope that guy didn't injure his back. it's a good image, but i don't why it
doesn't excite me that much. Maybe it's just too good, you know, like, somewhat
banal; what you would expect a well-taken sports/action shot to look like. Or
maybe there are too many things that could distract. I tried a different crop
keeping the same 8x10, maybe it'd please me morer, maybe not.

http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7651/32061...McLeodvert.jpg

The vertical crop could probably heighten the fall aspect. The red banner on
the right is too distracting. the face of the horse is somewhat unnecessary,
and in fact, losing it leaves us just with the menacing hoofs and leaves the
image of its face and intentions up to our imagination, and so is (unnecessary)
the guy in the yellow jacket who seems totally removed from what's happening.
The fact that both parts of the horse and rider are cropped out of the image
increases the feeling of physical nearness and hence danger.

But then, maybe not. Not sure.

Jim Kramer - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061915

Nice shot. More like enter but never exit again if you were a bug. Depth of
field is problematic here. It's difficult to tell what the prime thing here,
the web? the spider? the spider looks a little too small in the image. Some
parts of the web are out of focus. strangly some rocks in the background look a
little too focused. I wonder whether you used manual focus or autofocus. It
probably was a difficult shot to take and this the best that could be without
getting entangled.

Bob Hickey - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061916

I like it. I'm not bothered at all about the contrast issue. It looks sunny and
probably was a somewhat hot day. I also like the rail in the foreground. It
stands there like a barrier.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32061917

Yup yup, Ken. You certainly have a certain style. Alan mentioned about the
overall clutter detracting from the theme objective, but having got used to
your style, judging by the previous recent images, in which i felt it was
difficult to pinpoint a locus at first sight, I don't see it as a problem in
this image. I like it.

Mike Henley - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061918

I took five shots of this scene and settled on this one. The tilt was
deliberate to emphasize the feeling of vertigo one, or actually I, would
probably experience on these stairs. I seem a little attracted by mild heights.
Here's an image I took a couple of days ago

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/192/1...0/HPIM0572.jpg

It's actually a significant height though it's a little difficult to show that.
Probably 3 storeys. I'm sure a fall would've been undesirable, though I
actually almost fell as I leaned forward to take this shot then realized that
only my little butt, which isn't much, was balancing the rest of my body.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32061919

Hehe Holga! Nice image. It's difficult to think that this image was actually
taken within the past 2 weeks. I looks more like one taken decades ago or
something. I agree with Alan that it's difficult to appreciate it's
relationship to the mandate. I didn't actually notice those lock doors as I
thought that was a bridge. Nice nonetheless.

Bret Douglas - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061920

Looks like a great place to be. Nice shot. I would've loved to see more of the
landscape. Not sure a vertical/portrait orientation is the best for this image,
unless of course you had to keep things out of the picture.

Rich Pos - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061921

Soligor digital spot meter? I see. Always the master of available-light shots.
I like this image. Probably couldn't have been done better. It's one of those
images that give a "I wish i was there feeling"; Beer and BBQ.

http://www.pbase.com/image/32061922

I didn't know what a revue was but I now know it's a praktica. Alan commented
on a few technical aspects with the image but I guess I like it as it is.
There's nothing wrong with a lo-fi, candid, almost grungy quality. I really
like this image, and the obvious technical imperfections all add to its appeal
to me. A great entry.

Chibitul - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061923

Heh. looks like an industrial product shot. I'm sure you love your mac. I would
probably love it if i had one. If only they had a G5, it's tough to give up on
the Athlon 64. It's a good shot, but i can't say I like it much, not because
there's anything wrong with it, but just purely because I'm not into that
product shot thing, even though it does meet the mandate.

Alan Browne - http://www.pbase.com/image/32061924

Heh. That's a funny shot, for sure. This guy looks straight out of centuries
ago. Nice nice, very nice.

Vic Mason - http://www.pbase.com/image/32066974

Yeah, I'm not sure how it meets the mandate. Maybe a bug of some sort entering
the hole would've made it. Makes me wanna chew on these flowers though for some
reason.

Brian Baird - http://www.pbase.com/image/32076418

Nice though would probably be nicer for another mandate other than entrances
and exits.

Al Denelsbeck - http://www.pbase.com/image/32110577

Interesting. Surely a shot I wouldn't have the patience to attempt. But
interesting. It and the previous two shots (Baird and Mason) are different
takes on the theme.

Old August 3rd 04, 02:32 AM
Rich Pos

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 18:09:27 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/32061921
Very pleasing flat on perspective shot relieved by the expansive
of red paint and open area on the left.

Thanks for your time Alan.
Thought a while about composition and this is the best I could come up
with. The shot was rather mundane so I tried to beef it up with DOF
although I couldn't get *high* enough to see the tree line through the
front window. Probably should have shot a few different angles but was
trying to stay away from converging verticals.

Cheers,

RPŠ

Old August 3rd 04, 02:36 AM
Rich Pos

On 03 Aug 2004 00:46:14 GMT, (Sabineellen) wrote:

http://www.pbase.com/image/32061921

Soligor digital spot meter? I see. Always the master of available-light shots.
I like this image. Probably couldn't have been done better. It's one of those
images that give a "I wish i was there feeling"; Beer and BBQ.

You're too kind sabineellen, thanks for the compliment.
Yes. A new *old* spot meter.
This was my first time using it and am pleased with the results.
Picked up a book on the zone system and will try to absorb some of it
during vacation.

Plenty of beer but alas, no BBQ.

Thanks for the reviews.

RPŠ