Free memory card software ?

Old August 17th 04, 06:24 PM
Matt

On 14 Aug 2004 21:04:36 -0700, (ECM) wrote:

"Andy100" wrote in message ...
Is there any (preferably free) software which will read a memory card (when
i slot it into the USB card reader) and take all the pictures, put them in a
user defined file and wipe the card clean ?

Also, it would be great if the software had a little image re-touching such
as brightness, contrast, grain removal etc.

Cheers
Andy

I'm trying out Picasa 1.6, a freeware program offered by Google that
seems to be doing a good job; from what you've said, I think it'll do
what you want.

It will automatically detect when media containing image files is
connected to the computer (ie when you plug the camera into a USB
port), and download the images to an album for you. It doesn't delete
the pictures from the card, though - you'll have to do that for
yourself. It's also a bit slower this way than simply using a flash
card reader. It has a few simple corrections available - "enhance" (an
automatic contrast/brightness adjustment), "crop" and "redeye" (works
remarkably well, IMHO). I can even invoke Irfanview from within the
program to do more complex editing. It doesn't do grain removal,
though - I kind of thought this was a fairly high-end kind of filter -
Photoshop or Paintshop territory...

Picasa is freeware for now; I suspect it'll have a similar business
model as WinZip - ie. free now, but later it'll become share- or "LE"-
or nag-ware. No spy components according to Ad-Aware, and no ads. It's
a fairly good sales method - I bought WinZip, after all.... Picasa 1.6

It WAS shareware, but now it's a Google promo - or perhaps there will
soon be "Google Photo".
If you visit the order prints menu, and are not very well firewalled,
it will register itself without asking!
Apparently, it sneaks your primary email account details from OE.

is definitely a step up from Camedia 4.1, the program that came with
my Olympus. It'll play a nice slideshow with your favorite MP3, too!

The link is:
http://www.picasa.com/content/download.php?promo=ihhp1

--
I may be dozzzy, but take the ZZZ's out to mail me
http://www.junkroom.freeserve.co.uk/jvc2080.htm - 2x2x24 CD-RW troubles

If you drop a cactus, don't try to catch it!