EOS 300d capacity

Old July 20th 04, 11:58 AM
Gene Palmiter

Default EOS 300d capacity

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/page2.asp

.. 3072 x 2048 JPEG Fine: 3.1 MB
.. 3072 x 2048 JPEG Normal: 1.8 MB
.. 2048 x 1360 JPEG Fine: 1.8 MB
.. 2048 x 1360 JPEG Normal: 1.2 MB
.. 1536 x 1024 JPEG Fine: 1.4 MB
.. 1536 x 1024 JPEG Normal: 0.9 MB
.. 3072 x 2048 RAW: 6.0 MB

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote in message
I have searched through the Canon website and I can't find an answer to
this:

How many high quality photos can the EOS300d store in a 128MB, 256MB or
512MB card?

I don't know which one to buy!

Old July 20th 04, 12:50 PM
Skip M

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote in message
I have searched through the Canon website and I can't find an answer to
this:

How many high quality photos can the EOS300d store in a 128MB, 256MB or
512MB card?

I don't know which one to buy!

My wife's 10D gets about 90 images at "Large/Fine" jpeg with a 256 card.
Since the 300D has the same sensor, the results should be similar. Shoot
RAW, and you'll probably get about 1/2 that number.
Go for the larger card.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 20th 04, 01:16 PM
Your-nice

Depends how many shots you shoot, if you get a 256mb you can alway,s get
another and if one card failed you have a back up rather than 1- 512mb.

Old July 20th 04, 02:02 PM
Arte Phacting

My preference is to (and this may shock you but eventually memory cards go
belly up) cater for a possibly dodgy memory card.

I'd rather go for, say, 2 x 128MB rather than 1 x 256 MB

If the 512 MB card goes belly up part way through a shoot well, it is a lot
of images that may be stuck or lost or partially corrupted.

Artie

ps - Windows XP and a card reader helps more than you can possibly imagine
The best card readers seem to be on ebuyer.co.uk (less than a tenner) Some
new computers have inbuilt card readers

Old July 20th 04, 02:15 PM
Chris Brown

In article ,
Gareth Tuckwell wrote:
I have searched through the Canon website and I can't find an answer to
this:

How many high quality photos can the EOS300d store in a 128MB, 256MB or
512MB card?

I don't know which one to buy!

You can expect about 75 raw photos on a 512 meg card.
Old July 20th 04, 02:42 PM
HooDooWitch

"Gareth Tuckwell" somehow managed to post:

I have searched through the Canon website and I can't find an answer to
this:

How many high quality photos can the EOS300d store in a 128MB, 256MB or
512MB card?

Card Size --- 512 256 128
Pic Quality
RAW 85 43 21
Large jpg 165 83 41
Med jpg 284 142 71
Small jpg 366 183 91

All jpg at "fine" quality

I don't know which one to buy!

Get 2 x 256s, just in case.

HTH

--
HooDooWitch (NaCl - Gratis)

Old July 20th 04, 03:13 PM
YoYo

Go for the 512 card this way you can burn 1 card per cd/r.

Also photos differ in size, even though they are the same resolution.

Old July 20th 04, 08:00 PM
Big Bill

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 18:57:59 GMT, "Arte Phacting"
wrote:

Yeh - sounds good.

The idea is to minimize possible losses

Getting into the routine of taking a few smaller sized cards helps in that
respect

So! There you are 2 x 256MB cards it is! Or maybe even 4 x 256 MB

Artie

This really is much more dependent on personal opinion...
In my case, I use 2x512 & 1x256 CF cards.
I have a fried with a D60 (saqme size files) who uses a 2 Gig, a 1
Gig, and a 512 meg CF cards. He shoots a lot more pics than I do in
the same situations.

Also, in my experience, I've never had a flash RAM card go bad, though
I have had cameras go bad (a D-600L, which Oly repaired, and a C-4000,
which Oly couldn't fix in two tries; I still have a C-3030, and my
Digital Rebel; our grand-daughter has the D-600L). All my CF and SM
cards still work.
A friend had a CF card he claimed went bad; Zero Assumption found the
images, and I then formatted his card, and it worked fine. Turned out
the camera was going bad.
I'm certain flash RAM cards have gone bad; they are like everything
else, imperfect.
But how many cards to carry isn't able to be categorized easily; it
depends on too many variables. I wouldn't use, say, a 512meg card for
a 2MP camera; too many pics at risk. I would *like* to have a 1 Gig
card for the DR, or maybe two, but the cost is a little dear right
now.
For the C3030, 128 megs is really a little small, but it's as big as
they get.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"