toyo lensboard copal 0

Old June 25th 04, 03:19 AM
Matt Ashbrook

Default toyo lensboard copal 0

I just finally got all of the parts for my lf camera. The lens was the last
component. I went to put it on and, of course, the hole is about 1/16 to 1/8
to large . Can I assume that the lens hole needs to be fairly close? It's
probably for a # 1. Are there any adapters or shims or do I now have to get
a lensboard drilled specifically for the copal 0?

Thanks,
Matt A.

Old June 25th 04, 04:31 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Matt Ashbrook" wrote

lens ... put it on ... hole is about 1/16 to 1/8 to large.

You may have found out by now that the mounting ring has (or
should have) a shoulder that fits into the lens-board hole
and that everything is just the size it needs to be.

If, however, the hole is too large even with the mounting ring
then you _may_ have a small problem. If you can tighten down
the mounting ring and there are no light leaks all is OK.
If the mounting ring sort of tips/slips into the hole or light
leaks then you may need to make a 'washer' out of AOS
(Any Old S---[Stuff]).

The oversize hole/shoulder on the mounting ring is good
engineering practice. A similar shoulder is present in
the upper unthreaded portion of a bolt.

The reasons a

1) The shoulder can fit into the hole with a tight
clearance and hence precisely locate the lens
(a pretty useless feature on a view camera where
the whole purpose of the thing is to move the
lens off-center);

2) The shoulder prevents the threads on the lens
from rubbing against the sides of the hole and
getting damaged (if the lens board is metal).

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com