Size matters – how else could Dell squeeze 15 million pixels into this 27" 5K monitor?

Old October 6th 14, 05:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default NVidia and Dell Ultrasharp Monitors - (was Size matters ? how else could Dell squeeze 15 million pixels into this 27" 5K monitor?)

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , android
wrote:

i wasn't talking about gadgets.

this subthread started with a discussion about a poster pondering
wether
to buy a imac. i've been talking about imacs here. nothing else. eod

it doesn't matter what computer it is. there is no reason to replace it
just because the warranty ran out.

you're are desperately arguing against a statement that's your own.

you're lying.

nope, and so much for your eod.

we're not talking imacs now...
--
teleportation kills
http://tinyurl.com/androidphotography
Old October 6th 14, 06:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

And odds are that that Acer will run Windows 7 or Windows 8 just fine.

that's an unusual definition of 'just fine'.

I'm wondering what's "unusual" about that definition of "just fine". 9
years ago would be 2005, which is a multi-GHz processor, possibly
multicore and 64-bit, that can run Windows 7 and 8 without any problems
at all. Might be slower than the latest super whizzbang but so is a low
end machine today.

machines from that era do not generally run win7/8 particularly well
nor are they typically multicore or 64 bit. in 2005, core duo had not
yet been released, let alone core 2 duo.
Old October 6th 14, 03:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

But when you say 3 years 'use' do you mean that if you use it for 12
hours
per day it will last 6 years and 12 years if use for 6 hours per day ?

it makes no difference how much it's used. what matters is whether it
can run modern software, and 3-5 years is typical.

Doesn;t matter that much what is more important is can it do what you want.
Age is pretty imaterial.

that's what i just said.

macs generally last longer than windows boxes do, but either way,
you're stuck with old software and unable to run the latest,

But does it matter ?

it does if you want to run something that requires newer hardware.

so at some
point you need to get a new computer, even if the existing one is fully
functional.

If you change what you want to do. Yopu don;t need the lasted Mac or PC to
access usenet. I do not need a 3GHz+ retina display running windows to access
usenet oif fact I';d be better off with an older computer.

if all you do is usenet then you don't need much. most people do a lot
more than usenet. in fact most people don't even do usenet at all.
however, a retina display is much better for text, which will make
reading usenet that much more pleasant.

I can still edit movies on my G4 tower, in fact I prefer the old iMovie to
the new verison.

you can, but not as fast as on a newer system. if you edit movies all
day long then a newer system will save you a *lot* of time. the old
version of imovie still works although newer software is far more
capable.

you can also edit movies on an iphone or ipad, which is more powerful
than that old g4.

I can run my old webcam from my olde PPC Macs but NOT from the new intel
without buying new software.

actually intel macs are compatible with more webcams than powerpc macs
are and nearly all work out of the box without any software.

os x became intel-only over 5 years ago and most software (certainly
anything recent) is intel only, so a powerpc mac won't do much more
than what it did a decade ago.

I also DO NOT need an iphone6+ to call my friends I can use my old 70s dial
phone.

your dial phone won't text, won't do facetime calls, won't work without
a cable attached to the wall, won't run apps, won't respond to voice
commands, won't sync with your computer and won't slip into a pocket.
Old October 6th 14, 05:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/6/2014 10:47 AM, nospam wrote:

snip

your dial phone won't text, won't do facetime calls, won't work without
a cable attached to the wall, won't run apps, won't respond to voice
commands, won't sync with your computer and won't slip into a pocket.

Wrong.

--
PeterN
Old October 6th 14, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.10.05, 09:10 , android wrote:
In article ,
Alan Browne wrote:

On 2014.10.04, 23:47 , android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 2 October 2014 16:52:14 UTC+1, android wrote:

the rumour date for the imac is 21st october this year.

The supposed to be glossy, right? I'd calculate three years use from an
all in one...

My 'all in one' was brought in April 2009. Deceased September 2014.

But when you say 3 years 'use' do you mean that if you use it for 12 hours
per day it will last 6 years and 12 years if use for 6 hours per day ?

You know what I mean.

Not sure how you can so relibley know how long any computer will last.

Old October 6th 14, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

your dial phone won't text, won't do facetime calls, won't work without
a cable attached to the wall, won't run apps, won't respond to voice
commands, won't sync with your computer and won't slip into a pocket.

Wrong.

either you're a bigger idiot than i thought or you're arguing just to
argue. maybe both.

why don't you explain how he can do *any* of that on his dial phone.
you can't, because it's not possible.

*everything* i said is correct.
Old October 6th 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/6/2014 1:27 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

your dial phone won't text, won't do facetime calls, won't work without
a cable attached to the wall, won't run apps, won't respond to voice
commands, won't sync with your computer and won't slip into a pocket.

Wrong.

either you're a bigger idiot than i thought or you're arguing just to
argue. maybe both.

why don't you explain how he can do *any* of that on his dial phone.
you can't, because it's not possible.

*everything* i said is correct.

Did you really think I would not anticipate youjr knee jerk reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN00LxT-F-0

--
PeterN
Old October 6th 14, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

your dial phone won't text, won't do facetime calls, won't work without
a cable attached to the wall, won't run apps, won't respond to voice
commands, won't sync with your computer and won't slip into a pocket.

Wrong.

either you're a bigger idiot than i thought or you're arguing just to
argue. maybe both.

why don't you explain how he can do *any* of that on his dial phone.
you can't, because it's not possible.

*everything* i said is correct.

Did you really think I would not anticipate youjr knee jerk reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN00LxT-F-0

that has a cellphone inside it that was custom installed by someone.

it's also not what whisky dave has.

as i said, you argue just to argue.
Old October 6th 14, 09:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 10/6/2014 2:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

your dial phone won't text, won't do facetime calls, won't work without
a cable attached to the wall, won't run apps, won't respond to voice
commands, won't sync with your computer and won't slip into a pocket.

Wrong.

either you're a bigger idiot than i thought or you're arguing just to
argue. maybe both.

why don't you explain how he can do *any* of that on his dial phone.
you can't, because it's not possible.

*everything* i said is correct.

Did you really think I would not anticipate youjr knee jerk reaction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN00LxT-F-0

that has a cellphone inside it that was custom installed by someone.

it's also not what whisky dave has.

as i said, you argue just to argue.

Aw!. Poor nosense. Are you being picked on? Poor baby,
Which statement number is that I your list: I meant something other than
what I wrote. There is no retriction in your original statement. There
is a tag word for people who deliberately write soething they didn't
mean.

--
PeterN
Old October 6th 14, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 06 Oct 2014 01:48:11 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

And odds are that that Acer will run Windows 7 or Windows 8 just fine.

that's an unusual definition of 'just fine'.

I'm wondering what's "unusual" about that definition of "just fine". 9
years ago would be 2005, which is a multi-GHz processor, possibly
multicore and 64-bit, that can run Windows 7 and 8 without any problems
at all. Might be slower than the latest super whizzbang but so is a low
end machine today.

machines from that era do not generally run win7/8 particularly well
nor are they typically multicore or 64 bit. in 2005, core duo had not
yet been released, let alone core 2 duo.

Then there is the small matter of the availability of drivers.

Eric Stevens