Clip-in Filters???

Old April 23rd 19, 02:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Clip-in Filters???

I have no idea just how much the idea of clip-in filters is going to take the
place of traditional on lens filters (rectangular, square, or circular) is
going to be favorably met.

The only place I can see the concept being useful is in the world of ultra
wide angle lenses where the front element precludes the use of traditional
filters.

https://stcoptics.com/en/clip_filter/

Savageduck

Old April 23rd 19, 03:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .com,
Savageduck wrote:

I have no idea just how much the idea of clip-in filters is going to take the
place of traditional on lens filters (rectangular, square, or circular) is
going to be favorably met.

it isn't, and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

The only place I can see the concept being useful is in the world of ultra
wide angle lenses where the front element precludes the use of traditional
filters.

https://stcoptics.com/en/clip_filter/

there's no longer a need for traditional filters anymore because just
about everything can be done in post.

the exceptions are a polarizer and a protective filter, which won't
work inside the camera (or for ultra-wides), and a neutral density
filter and hot mirror, which would.

it requires live view, yet lists the nikon d70 as compatible. based on
the list of cameras, they probably meant the d7000.
Old April 23rd 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 22, 2019, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

I have no idea just how much the idea of clip-in filters is going to take
the place of traditional on lens filters (rectangular, square, or circular) is
going to be favorably met.

it isn't, and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

The only place I can see the concept being useful is in the world of ultra
wide angle lenses where the front element precludes the use of traditional
filters.

https://stcoptics.com/en/clip_filter/

there's no longer a need for traditional filters anymore because just
about everything can be done in post.

Almost everything. I guess you are saying that with your, “just about
everything...”.

the exceptions are a polarizer and a protective filter, which won't
work inside the camera (or for ultra-wides), and a neutral density
filter and hot mirror, which would.

....and yet they list a CPL, that I don’t see working.
As far as ND filters go I prefer to have a little more control, especially
when dealing with long exposures which cannot be replicated in post. They can
be done with a total stop down, but that can lead to diffraction issues.

it requires live view, yet lists the nikon d70 as compatible. based on
the list of cameras, they probably meant the d7000.

Probably. ;-)

Savageduck

Old April 23rd 19, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne[_2_]

On 2019-04-22 21:06, Savageduck wrote:
I have no idea just how much the idea of clip-in filters is going to take the
place of traditional on lens filters (rectangular, square, or circular) is
going to be favorably met.

Looks fussy. Why not post process? For ultra wide that could require
colour grading.

--
"2/3 of Donald Trump's wives were immigrants. Proof that we
need immigrants to do jobs that most Americans wouldn't do."
Old April 23rd 19, 02:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Apr 23, 2019, Alan Browne wrote
(in ):

On 2019-04-22 21:06, Savageduck wrote:
I have no idea just how much the idea of clip-in filters is going to take
the
place of traditional on lens filters (rectangular, square, or circular) is
going to be favorably met.

Looks fussy.

It is fussy.

Why not post process?

PP works for some filter effects, but not all. For example long exposure
using ND filters cannot be replicated in post.

For ultra wide that could require colour grading.

With much of the latest software color grading and the use of LUTs has become
simple regardless of the FL.

Savageduck

Old April 24th 19, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 2019-04-22 21:06, Savageduck wrote:
I have no idea just how much the idea of clip-in filters is going to
take the
place of traditional on lens filters (rectangular, square, or
circular) is
going to be favorably met.

Looks fussy.* Why not post process?* For ultra wide that could require
colour grading.

They show no explanation for how polarizers and variable ND filters
would work. I think that IR filters would be a real PITA.

--
PeterN