Classic camera repair needed...

Old September 3rd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
BVStaples

Default Classic camera repair needed...

Hi all:

I have an old Zeiss Ikoflex that is a great camera and takes fabulous
pictures. It is now about 50 years old. It's fully functional except
for the built-in light meter. When I got it some 30 years back from a
friend, the meter worked (though I don't know about its accuracy), but
soon after I started using the camera regularly, it stopped working. I
took it to a repair shop in Providence, and the tech there told me he
couldn't repair it for less than about $150, which back then was a lot.
He had taken the meter out of the camera, and gave it to me. I still
have it, though it's deeply buried in storage. I've used the camera
without the meter all these years. I use a handheld when sunny-16 isn't
apropos. But I would like to fix the meter in the camera.

What I would like are recommendations to services that repair/restore
classic cameras. Before someone tells me it isn't worth it (which
I've heard over the years), I'll state I want to do it for the
sentimental purpose...this camera was given to me by an old friend. It
belonged to his father, who bought it new. It's in near mint
condition and still has its original leather case. Anyway,
recommendations of someone who could fix this feature for me would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

Old September 4th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Art

www.google.com is your friend

I did a quick search and found these posts:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=005uF3&tag=

oups.com...

Old September 4th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Randy Stewart

Call the following company. They specialize in repair of selenium meters.

Selenium Meter Repair:
George Milton
Quality Light - Metric
(323) 467-2265
7060 Hollywood Blvd.
Suite 415
Los Angeles, CA 90028

I once has an Ikoflex with the same problem. I didn't have it fixed.

What little business I've done with Qulaity Light has been professionally
handled. From my experience with such meters, your problem is less likely
to be a bad cell, more likely to be corroded contacts between the cell and
the rest of the metering system. Either way, it should not be a big repair,
i.e., $150 is probably high.

Old September 5th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Jim Hemenway

Brain:

Quality Light Metric might be all that you need, but I sent my Ikoflex
here for a CLA in 2001:

Wolfram Umbach
Z-V Service
P.O. Box 754