Sony a900 ordered

Old November 6th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony a900 ordered

Will take time to get here, however. Best terms (cash) and out of
province mean a cheque clearing delay. (Even for a bank draft, they're
antsy).

Price advantage over local -$45.00
Saving Quebec QST: -$204.75
S&H: 0.00
Patience: P r i c e l e s s (well, 252 bucks anyway).

This is the first time I've ordered from Henry's (Toronto) as usually
their prices are higher than anywhere else, but this time they were the
best deal.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old November 8th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 18:34:13 -0800 (PST), RichA wrote:
: On Nov 6, 3:52*pm, Alan Browne
:
: Price advantage over local * -$45.00
: * * * * * Saving Quebec QST: -$204.75
: * * * * * * * * * * * * S&H: * * 0.00
: * * * * * * * * * *Patience: *P r i c e l e s s (well, 252 bucks anyway).
:
: This is the first time I've ordered from Henry's (Toronto) as usually
: their prices are higher than anywhere else, but this time they were the
: best deal.
:
:
: Why not post the price then? Likely it isn't as low as Aden's.

Got a calculator, Rich? Alan says the Québec sales tax would have been $204.75
if he'd bought the camera in Montréal. The Québec Government's Web site will
tell you their sales tax rate. From that you can calculate the purchase price.
Voilá!

Bob
Old November 8th 08, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

: wrote:
: Will take time to get here, however. Best terms (cash) and out of
: province mean a cheque clearing delay. (Even for a bank draft, they're
: antsy).
:
: Price advantage over local -$45.00
: Saving Quebec QST: -$204.75
: S&H: 0.00
: Patience: P r i c e l e s s (well, 252 bucks anyway).
:
: This is the first time I've ordered from Henry's (Toronto) as usually
: their prices are higher than anywhere else, but this time they were the
: best deal.
:
:
: Why not post the price then? Likely it isn't as low as Aden's.

Rich, If you wouldn't post as @gmail.com I'd see your posts.

Aden's do not list the a900. But if you say they're generally cheaper
than Henry's I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Vistek, who sell other Sony DSLR's have been locked out of selling the
a900 by Sony. Everyone's sticking to price. I think Sony are trying
hard to hold pricing across retailers.

This is bad for Quebec retailers as I'll certainly do the math everytime
and save that 6.5% if that covers the shipping. (In this case $0.00).

I offered my closest seller in Quebec (who is always willing to go some
distance) the chance to match the total price and he said he just
couldn't make it.

Got a calculator, Rich? Alan says the Québec sales tax would have been $204.75
if he'd bought the camera in Montréal. The Québec Government's Web site will
tell you their sales tax rate. From that you can calculate the purchase price.
Voilá!

Aden's do not list the a900.

I paid $2954.99 + 5% GST. Free shipping. Paid by cheque.

Had I ordered it from the UK, I probably could have squeezed another
$125 - $150 out of it (GST+QST+S&H incl.)

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old November 8th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Robert Coe wrote:

Got a calculator, Rich? Alan says the Québec sales tax would have been $204.75
if he'd bought the camera in Montréal. The Québec Government's Web site will
tell you their sales tax rate. From that you can calculate the purchase price.
Voilá!

Ooops!!

I just realized the Quebec sales tax is in fact 7.5%, not 6.5% ... so I
saved $236.25 in QST, not 204.75. Total saved on the deal: $283.50.

No wonder the local guy couldn't come close.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.