From digital to traditional?

Old November 10th 04, 06:45 PM
The Wogster

Jean-David Beyer wrote:
The Wogster wrote:

Frank Pittel wrote:

How do you explain machines that crash regularly when running windows
can run
linux of bsd on the same hardware??

I don't know about Bsd, I have run every Linux from .99 Kernel on up
to the latest 2.4 (machine doesn't need 2.6 -- one of the OSes nicest
features IMNSHO). I have observed every version of Windows from 3.0
on up to XP and come to the conclusion that the only thing Windows is
good at is in it's X box configuration running Halo.

I have only seen Linux crash 3 times since 1995, ALL were hardware
related. I have only seen Windows not crash under one condition --
when the machine is turned off.

I have run Linux only since mid 1996 (RHL 5.0), upgrading from
time-to-time. And getting new computers and discarding the oldest one.

RHL 5.0 and 6.0 crashed on rare occasions. I never figured out why, but
it was almost certainly _not_ hardware, because upgrading the kernel
eventually (not always the next kernel) fixed it. The X Window System
crashed more often (totally dead keyboard, so I could not
Ctl-Alt-Backspace, or Ctl-Alt-PF[1-6] my way out. But I could get in
with ssh from another machine on my LAN and fix things.

I started wuth Slack, moved to Caldera (boo-hiss),then Mandrake to cure
and application problem -- the db I was using ran fine on 'drake,
wouldn't run on Caldera. Currently the only Linux here is Smoothwall
running on the gateway. Windows ME yesterday forgot the DNS address, so
Internet access dumped for a while, only internal machines were visible
until I found the problem.....

The biggest advantage though to non-Windows systems, are that you
actually can find a problem. I don't know how many times, where the
only info Windows offers is to contact your system administrator ... I
am the @#!$#@% system administrator! This is no help people!

Now, back to photography, if I could get my hands on a scanner with
decent Linux drivers that don't cost extra or only work half a**ed, or
drive you inSANE, along with PS Elements running native, then I would be
happy to put 'drake back on here......

Old November 10th 04, 07:08 PM
jjs

"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .

The biggest advantage though to non-Windows systems, are that you actually
can find a problem. I don't know how many times, where the only info
Windows offers is to contact your system administrator ... I am the
@#!$#@% system administrator! This is no help people!

If you do not know the underlying system, then you wouldn't understand the
error messages anyway. There _is_ a command interface, you know.

Old November 10th 04, 10:51 PM
Claudio Bonavolta

"Gregory W Blank" wrote in message news:xjXjd.394$iY3.356@trnddc01...
In article ,
(Rob Landry) wrote:

Ok seems reasonable, what I am looking to ultimately do is pull the film
1 and two stops any experience you have on those time increments?

TIA!!
--
LF Website @
http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/e6.htm
at the end of the page the push/pull times.

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch

Old November 11th 04, 03:42 AM
The Wogster

jjs wrote:
"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .

The biggest advantage though to non-Windows systems, are that you actually
can find a problem. I don't know how many times, where the only info
Windows offers is to contact your system administrator ... I am the
@#!$#@% system administrator! This is no help people!

If you do not know the underlying system, then you wouldn't understand the
error messages anyway. There _is_ a command interface, you know.

It's just almost completely useless, and everything depends on a file
that can not be repaired if broken. I once had a problem, where the
machine hung during boot. Okay, boot to dos mode, except dos mode can't
use the fat32 file system without loading some of the drivers, except
something there is causing the crash. Okay, go to the last known good
configuration, if gives me a message that it can't do that. What is the
use of a last known good configuration, if you can't go back to it?
Okay, go back to the oldest registry version you have, nope can't do
that either. Had to use Linux to scrape what I could off the partition,
and park those files on another drive, then rebuild the HDD. Fun the
first time, less fun the second.....

You shouldn't need to be a MCSE to read an error message and have it
make sense, just write the messages in the local language.

Old November 11th 04, 12:59 PM
LR Kalajainen

I would have switched to Linux years ago except that I approach this
thing backwards: While hating Windows (though confessing that XP for me
has been very stable--any crashes have been due to inadequate RAM), I
LOVE WordPerfect and will do whatever it takes to keep from having to
use Word which falls far short in almost every comparative test that
matters to me. So, while Corel had a short fling with a Linux version
of WP, as long as WP is only available for Windows, I'm stuck with being
a Microsoft hater, but reluctant user.

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

The Wogster wrote:

Frank Pittel wrote:

[...]

IIRC, these problems ended with Red Hat Linux 7.3 (I upgraded from
RHL6.2 straight to RHL 7.3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux has never crashed
(I started running that on my newest machine in March 2004), nor have
the versions of X Window System that came with it.

A friend had a Dell Dimension 200 with 64Meg RAM. It came with Windows
95. It did what Windows does best, and eventually became intolerable
to her. After she got a paid "expert" in to fix it, it was no better.
I went over and ran badblocks and memtest-86 and everything tested
fine. I installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 just to check the hardware. She
said she was sick of Windows and willing to try Linux (a computer
novice in her late 60s) and it worked perfectly for several years.
Finally, I think I found out the problem: the IDE controller quit -- I
think. In any case, A new hard drive did not fix the disk errors
according to badblocks. Possibly the IDE controller was bad earlier
and that is why Windows did not work as well as it originally did. The
machine did not deserve a new motherboard, so they got two new
computers which, unfortunately IMAO, run Windows XP.

The reason for all the Red Hat references is that it was the first
distro I used and I have never tried any others. But most of these
remarks probably apply to the others.

Old November 11th 04, 02:32 PM
The Wogster

LR Kalajainen wrote:
I would have switched to Linux years ago except that I approach this
thing backwards: While hating Windows (though confessing that XP for me
has been very stable--any crashes have been due to inadequate RAM), I
LOVE WordPerfect and will do whatever it takes to keep from having to
use Word which falls far short in almost every comparative test that
matters to me. So, while Corel had a short fling with a Linux version
of WP, as long as WP is only available for Windows, I'm stuck with being
a Microsoft hater, but reluctant user.

Try OpenOffice and see if that works for you..... A lack of RAM should
not crash the system, that's a serious bug if it does. It's because a
programmer neglected to check a memory allocation to make sure that it
was successful, this is bad in an application, in an operating system,
it's irresponsible of the vendor.