Sony á200 colour oddities

Old March 10th 08, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
alexd

Default Sony á200 colour oddities

Just got a Sony α200 a couple of days ago. Took about 300 shots which
were great, but now it seems to have developed an intermittent fault
whereby the image is clouded with green and yellow patches:

http://ale.cx/alex/a200.jpg

I've taken 70 shots since then, of which about 10 have been afflicted
with this problem. Does this look like a fatal fault, or is it a known
problem that can be fixed with a firmware update?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
09:20:46 up 14 days, 17:12, 2 users, load average: 0.05, 0.05, 0.07
Old March 10th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

Default Sony a200 colour oddities

"alexd" wrote in message
Just got a Sony ?200 a couple of days ago. Took about 300 shots which
were great, but now it seems to have developed an intermittent fault
whereby the image is clouded with green and yellow patches:

http://ale.cx/alex/a200.jpg

I've taken 70 shots since then, of which about 10 have been afflicted
with this problem. Does this look like a fatal fault, or is it a known
problem that can be fixed with a firmware update?

I would take it straight back to the shop and get a new one, that has to be
a fault.

Old March 10th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pete D

"G Paleologopoulos" wrote in message
"Pete D" wrote

"alexd" wrote in message
Just got a Sony ?200 a couple of days ago. Took about 300 shots which
were great, but now it seems to have developed an intermittent fault
whereby the image is clouded with green and yellow patches:

http://ale.cx/alex/a200.jpg

I've taken 70 shots since then, of which about 10 have been afflicted
with this problem. Does this look like a fatal fault, or is it a known
problem that can be fixed with a firmware update?

I would take it straight back to the shop and get a new one, that has to
be a fault.

Looks OK to me.

Fair enough then, and we value your opinion as the head of the Complaint
Dept. ;-)

Old March 10th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
G Paleologopoulos

Ï "Pete D" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
"G Paleologopoulos" wrote in message

Looks OK to me.

Fair enough then, and we value your opinion as the head of the Complaint
Dept. ;-)

Excellent !!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-))

Old March 10th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Just got a Sony á200 a couple of days ago. Took about 300 shots which

It is completely F-----. Take it back, send it back.
Old March 11th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default Sony α200 colour oddities

alexd wrote:
Just got a Sony α200 a couple of days ago. Took about 300 shots which
were great, but now it seems to have developed an intermittent fault
whereby the image is clouded with green and yellow patches:

http://ale.cx/alex/a200.jpg

I've taken 70 shots since then, of which about 10 have been afflicted
with this problem. Does this look like a fatal fault, or is it a known
problem that can be fixed with a firmware update?

I've never seen anything like that. Almost cool!

Is that what it looked like in the LCD display?

Can you post a complete RAW image? I'd like to examine this in depth.

You may have intermittent or failing connections on the sensor to
electronics interface. These are sometimes done with elastomer or other
compression interfaces. If something got in there or the assembly is
loose, it could result in data drop out leading to image artifacts.

I would send that camera back for warranty repair immediately.

BE SURE TO INCLUDE A CD-ROM with JPG's like the one you posted and label
it clearly: "EXAMPLE IMAGES SHOWING THE FAULT"

Good luck.
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old March 11th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
alexd

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:00:09 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

I've never seen anything like that. Almost cool!

Is that what it looked like in the LCD display?

Yep. Same on PC and TV screen.

Can you post a complete RAW image? I'd like to examine this in depth.

Unfortunately not. All the shots were JPEG.

You may have intermittent or failing connections on the sensor to
electronics interface. These are sometimes done with elastomer or other
compression interfaces. If something got in there or the assembly is
loose, it could result in data drop out leading to image artifacts.

I did wonder what impact running the sensor cleaner every time it's
turned off would have.

I would send that camera back for warranty repair immediately.

BE SURE TO INCLUDE A CD-ROM with JPG's like the one you posted and label
it clearly: "EXAMPLE IMAGES SHOWING THE FAULT"

In the end, I showed the guy in the shop the sample images and he agreed
that the camera was faulty and gave me a replacement. A credit to Jessops
- to be honest I was expecting to have no camera for several weeks while
they hummed and harred about whether or not there really was a fault.
Fortunately I'm too lazy to shop around on the internet for the cheapest
price and bought the camera at retail :-)

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:29:58 up 16 days, 5:21, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.09, 0.02
Old March 11th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

alexd wrote:
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:00:09 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

I've never seen anything like that. Almost cool!

Is that what it looked like in the LCD display?

Yep. Same on PC and TV screen.

Can you post a complete RAW image? I'd like to examine this in depth.

Unfortunately not. All the shots were JPEG.

Ah well.

I did wonder what impact running the sensor cleaner every time it's
turned off would have.

It should have no impact at all. I believe your unit is simply defective.

I would send that camera back for warranty repair immediately.

BE SURE TO INCLUDE A CD-ROM with JPG's like the one you posted and label
it clearly: "EXAMPLE IMAGES SHOWING THE FAULT"

In the end, I showed the guy in the shop the sample images and he agreed
that the camera was faulty and gave me a replacement. A credit to Jessops

Great on Jessops for this one.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.