New Sony Alpha A200 announced - DPReview

Old January 8th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Default New Sony Alpha A200 announced - DPReview

10.2 megapixel CCD. Basically an update of the Alpha A100.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...nydslra200.asp

Old January 9th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Jan 8, 10:17 am, Tony Polson wrote:
10.2 megapixel CCD. Basically an update of the Alpha A100.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...nydslra200.asp

Too bad about the body. No live view either.
Old January 9th 08, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Mr. Strat

In article
,
RichA wrote:

Too bad about the body. No live view either.

Far be it from me to defend anything that's Sony-branded, but it's also
too bad about your continuing lack of clue.
Old January 9th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

RichA wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:17 am, Tony Polson wrote:

10.2 megapixel CCD. Basically an update of the Alpha A100.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...nydslra200.asp

Too bad about the body. No live view either.

That follows shortly with the Alpha 200 Ultra, which has an articulated
rear screen and live view. Other details are not yet known but I suspect
some of the R-1 technology may be in there to allow almst full time live
view for those who want it.

David

--
Icon Publications Ltd, Maxwell Place, Maxwell Lane, Kelso TD5 7BB
Company Registered in England No 2122711. Registered Office 12 Exchange
Old January 10th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

David Kilpatrick wrote:

RichA wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:17 am, Tony Polson wrote:

10.2 megapixel CCD. Basically an update of the Alpha A100.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...nydslra200.asp

Too bad about the body. No live view either.

That follows shortly with the Alpha 200 Ultra, which has an articulated
rear screen and live view. Other details are not yet known but I suspect
some of the R-1 technology may be in there to allow almst full time live
view for those who want it.

No, I will not replace my R1!

You will have to prise it out of my cold, dead hands.

Old January 12th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Tony Polson wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:

RichA wrote:
On Jan 8, 10:17 am, Tony Polson wrote:

10.2 megapixel CCD. Basically an update of the Alpha A100.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...nydslra200.asp

Too bad about the body. No live view either.

That follows shortly with the Alpha 200 Ultra, which has an articulated
rear screen and live view. Other details are not yet known but I suspect
some of the R-1 technology may be in there to allow almst full time live
view for those who want it.

No, I will not replace my R1!

You will have to prise it out of my cold, dead hands.

I've never thought it worth while getting a new computer unless it was
at least four times faster than the old one. Similarly I don't think
it's worth replacing a digital camera with one which hasn't got at
least twice twice the linear resolution of the old one (plus other
technology to match, such as lenses).

So I'm not replacing my R1 with anything that has less than
40MP. That's a medium format standard of resolution, but it's clear
that a digital camera will not have to be of Hasselblad size to do
that, even though it might be a bit bigger than one of today's
DSLRs. So that's going to require a whole new set of higher standard
lenses.

Not the right time for me to invest in glass, I think. Which is why I
got an R1 instead of a DSLR to pass the time while waiting :-)

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old January 12th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
gpaleo

"Chris Malcolm" wrote

(snip)

I've never thought it worth while getting a new computer unless it was
at least four times faster than the old one. Similarly I don't think
it's worth replacing a digital camera with one which hasn't got at
least twice twice the linear resolution of the old one (plus other
technology to match, such as lenses).

(snip)
--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[
http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Things such as wide dynamic range, wider color gamut, absense of image
noise, high ISO capability, extremely quick and acurate autofocusing,
extremely quick response times, etc...etc... leave you stone cold, eh?? Or
do you print meter-sized prints, to be viewed up close??

Old January 13th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

gpaleo wrote:
"Chris Malcolm" wrote

(snip)

I've never thought it worth while getting a new computer unless it was
at least four times faster than the old one. Similarly I don't think
it's worth replacing a digital camera with one which hasn't got at
least twice twice the linear resolution of the old one (plus other
technology to match, such as lenses).

Things such as wide dynamic range, wider color gamut, absense of image
noise, high ISO capability, extremely quick and acurate autofocusing,
extremely quick response times, etc...etc... leave you stone cold, eh??

Some of those are irrelevant to the kinds of photography I'm
interested in. The R1 is already so much faster than my own reaction
time for catching acrobatic sports moments that I wouldn't get any
benefit from anything faster. I already have far more dynamic range
than the best photographic printers can handle, and I suspect the same
is true of colour. As for response, I suspect it's a bit faster than
my old SLR which had to flip up the mirror before firing the shutter,
and sufficiently much faster than me that I probably couldn't notice
any improvement. I would appreciate faster and more accurate focus in
dim conditions. But I expect those kinds of things to come along with
the general technology updates of five or so years hence anyway. The
critical thing is the resolution.

Or
do you print meter-sized prints, to be viewed up close??

Why do so many in this newsgroup sneer at preferences they don't
share? Medium format resolution has had a long respectable following
for many decades, and only the short sighted need close scrutiny of
metre sized prints to appreciate its qualities.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

Old January 13th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
acl

On Jan 13, 6:23 am, Chris Malcolm wrote:
gpaleo wrote:
"Chris Malcolm" wrote

(snip)

[...]

In fact if you look at gamut plots, cameras have a much bigger gamut
than srgb or adobe rgb, and in fact than most colour spaces (but "how
big a colour space" can get complicated and I'm neither an expert nor
interested enough). To cut a long story short, if you plan to display
on a screen or print, you already have a bigger gamut than you can
use.

And of the other points, DR, low noise and high ISO are the same
point... And speed of AF may or may not be interesting to someone.

So I mostly agree with Chris here.

As for response, I suspect it's a bit faster than
my old SLR which had to flip up the mirror before firing the shutter,
and sufficiently much faster than me that I probably couldn't notice
any improvement.

I have to say, of all the cameras I've used, the D200 feels by far the
"snappiest", eg much faster than my old minolta xd7. And faster than
all the EVF cameras I have used, in operation and reaction. But it may
well be slower in reacting to a final press of the shutter release
once you're focused somewhere (it should be, no mirror must be flipped
up!). I don't know.

I would appreciate faster and more accurate focus in
dim conditions. But I expect those kinds of things to come along with
the general technology updates of five or so years hence anyway. The
critical thing is the resolution.

Or
do you print meter-sized prints, to be viewed up close??

Why do so many in this newsgroup sneer at preferences they don't
share? Medium format resolution has had a long respectable following
for many decades, and only the short sighted need close scrutiny of
metre sized prints to appreciate its qualities.

True. And anyway, I am short sighted, and don't see why I shouldn't be
able to look at metre-sized prints from 3cm and see details
Old January 13th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

Chris Malcolm wrote:

The R1 is already so much faster than my own reaction
time for catching acrobatic sports moments that I wouldn't get any
benefit from anything faster.

Eh? The R1 is *painfully slow* when it comes to capturing shots of
moving objects.

If you have found some way to speed it up, do share it, please!

Sony Alpha A200 DSLR Release [email protected] Digital Photography 1 January 8th 08 02:34 PM
Dear Sony...specks of dirt INSIDE my Sony Alpha lens! [email protected] Digital SLR Cameras 23 December 23rd 06 12:27 AM
Sony Alpha jncevcosta Digital Photography 1 December 21st 06 01:53 PM
Sony Alpha bmoag Digital Photography 5 October 27th 06 06:57 AM
Sony Alpha DSLR A100 full dpreview deryck lant Digital Photography 17 August 4th 06 05:03 AM