Serial Number

Old August 11th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Default Serial Number

I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a message
saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London UK) in Jan 2007
Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it appears that it may be a USA
number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

Old August 11th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Frank Arthur

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a
message saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London
UK) in Jan 2007 Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it
appears that it may be a USA number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

1. Why didn't you register it in January?
2. Wouldn't Microglobe supply the answer to your question?

Old August 11th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Frank Arthur" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a
message saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London
UK) in Jan 2007 Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it
appears that it may be a USA number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

1. Why didn't you register it in January?
2. Wouldn't Microglobe supply the answer to your question?

The first question that anyone should ask of a dealer selling items in
the UK at low prices is "Is the item an official UK import?"

If the answer is no, any warranty is the sole responsibility of the
seller, not the manufacturer's UK importer, and is strictly limited to
that demanded by UK consumer legislation.

Old August 12th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Answere 1: All the warranty stuff was with the camera, I was checking for
firmware updates and tried to register.

2: Wanted to get some consumer feedback before appraoching the retailer.

Bruce
"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
.. .

news

Old August 12th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Sheldon

"Bruce" wrote in message
k...
Answere 1: All the warranty stuff was with the camera, I was checking for
firmware updates and tried to register.

2: Wanted to get some consumer feedback before appraoching the retailer.

Bruce
"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
.. .

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a message
saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London UK) in Jan
2007 Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it appears that it may
be a USA number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

1. Why didn't you register it in January?
2. Wouldn't Microglobe supply the answer to your question?

Sounds like you got what we call here in the US a gray market product. A
product that was meant to be sold in another country that they got a good
deal on. In some cases camera stores here in the US, like B&H, sell gray
market products but supply their own warranty to cover them.

I would call the dealer and explain your problem. If you don't get a good
answer you may have to have a friend in the US register it, or simply
pretend you are in the US. I don't think the Internet knows where you are.

Old August 12th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"Sheldon" wrote:

I would call the dealer and explain your problem. If you don't get a good
answer you may have to have a friend in the US register it, or simply
pretend you are in the US. I don't think the Internet knows where you are.

On the contrary, it knows where your ISP is located. Just try booking
cheaper air fares sold in the US from the UK, or buying Adobe software
at the US site from the UK. They won't let you.

I suppose there are ways around it, but for the majority of Internet
users, it just isn't practicable.

Old August 12th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
riddles

I had this happen in the usa with my d80 and lenses. They are not gray
market. I called nikon and was told the problem was with their
database. They fixed it and no more problem.

roy

Old August 12th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Somebody

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a message
saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London UK) in Jan 2007
Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it appears that it may be a
USA number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

Generally camera makers will not honor a warranty on a product that meant to
be sold one place but sold another. So if your camera was meant to be sold
in the USA and it was sold in the UK then Nikon UK most likely will not
honor the warranty. What you would then have to do is contact a service
center in the USA, get there address and send it to them. You should be able
to get the warranty honored by sending it to the USA for repair.

I would also file a complaint with the proper agency about the seller
selling cameras for the USA in the wrong country. It isn't going to do much
for you, but it will add to an ever growing case against the seller that at
some future time might come in handy. Here in the USA we would complain to
the better business burea and I would also file a complaint with my local
district attorneys office and I would contact Nikon.

Now of course none of that last paragraph applies IF you KNEW you were
buying a USA warranted camera in the UK. Then it is totally your problem.
Some people do this to save the extra $.

Somebody!

Old August 14th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

"Bruce" wrote in message
news
I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a message
saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London UK) in Jan 2007
Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it appears that it may be a
USA number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

This was the reply I received from the retailer:

"hi,
thanks for your mail, the nikon uk were out of stock and we have imported
this digitak slr from USA and the warranty comes for one year with us, you
can try to regist it with nikon us.

Regards
--
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/"

Old August 16th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Pat

On Aug 14, 6:26 pm, "Bruce" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message

news
I just tried to register my Nikon D80 on with Nikon UK and got a message
saying it was invalid. I bought it from Microglobe (London UK) in Jan 2007
Serial Number 3900xxx after lots of Googling it appears that it may be a
USA number. Will this effect the warranty?

Bruce

This was the reply I received from the retailer:

"hi,
thanks for your mail, the nikon uk were out of stock and we have imported
this digitak slr from USA and the warranty comes for one year with us, you
can try to regist it with nikon us.

Regards
--
http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/"

"I bought the cameras when I was "vacationing" in the US and now need
to register it." That's my story and I'm sticking to it.