Complacency Upset

Old December 26th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Default Complacency Upset

Read before replying.

COMPLACENCY UPSET

Are digital products driving film from the field?

For years the film manufacturers have complacently stood still - satisfied
that their business was established as a rock. [...] Digital is cutting into
the film business to alarm the traditional manufacturers. [...]

The disgruntled spring the pet argument about the professional photographer
never using digital. Of course he doesn't - not in the gallery. [...] But
there is no reason the amateur should follow the professional, and he
doesn't. [...] The amateur photographer has long been recognized for his
progressiveness and his willingness to take up new ideas. He sees the
advantages of digital. [...] Nothing else can account for the increased use
of digital. [...]

======
Now, just switch every occurrence of "film" with "digital", and "film" with
"plate"

It is an advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" over "plates".

Published in Photo-Miniature (magazine), August, 1901.

Old December 26th 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
To reply, remove spaces: n o lindan at ix . netcom . com
Old December 26th 05, 05:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

Oohhh! What fun! Three dimensional true color images; no more fumbling
around with imperfect dyes in the negatives and prints.

My grandfather actually made some Lippman color images. I believe one poster
here has done some work with them. But I have never even tried.

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

^^-^^ 12:50:00 up 29 days, 23:22, 5 users, load average: 4.12, 4.14, 4.11
Old December 26th 05, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

OK, I'll bite: what's Lippman-Gabor imaging?

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.
Old December 26th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

OK, I'll bite: what's Lippman-Gabor imaging?

I am guessing, but Gabriel Lippman invented a photographic color process
where the emulsion was placed in intimate contact with a mirror. The
emulsion had to be sensitized all the way through to all three colors. The
developer had to be slow-acting, IIRC, so that the whole thickness
developped to the same degree. The thickness had to be "reasonably" thick.
What happens is that standing waves are set up in the emulsion that are just
the lengths of the colors required. I forget if the silver image is bleached
out afterwards resulting in just index of refraction differences, or if it
is allowed to remain. This did not result in stereo images, however.

If you make a similar emulsion (very fine grain), following the work of
Denis Gabor, you can make a hologram in the film, from which three
dimensional color images may be seen. Friends of mine made holograms with
commercially available film, but I would imagine a Lippman emulsion would be
more effective.

^^-^^ 15:50:00 up 30 days, 2:22, 5 users, load average: 4.28, 4.18, 3.76
Old December 27th 05, 03:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

The interesting thing I found is a google search for "Lippman Gabor
images" turns up thousands and thousands of words, but not a single
image did I find. An incredible number of multi-syllabic words, but no
pictures!
Old December 27th 05, 03:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Nicholas O. Lindan spake thus:

"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

OK, I'll bite: what's Lippman-Gabor imaging?

Holagraphy

and a whole lot of scientific papers on statistical pattern
content-based image retrieval as applied to wood defect recognition with
self-organizing feature selection...

.... thousands of words, and no pictures.
Old December 27th 05, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

no_name wrote:
Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

"jj" wrote

... An advert by Kodak for their new product called "film" ...
Published in Photo-Miniature [anything smaller than 8x10? ed]
(magazine), August, 1901:
Is film^H^H^H^Hdigital driving wet plates^H^H^H^H^Hfilm
from the field?

The more it changes, the more it stays the same.

Wait until digital gives way to Lippman/Gabor imaging ...

"Lenses? We don' need no stinkeen lenses. Dyes? Phosphors?
We don' need them neither."

The interesting thing I found is a google search for "Lippman Gabor
images" turns up thousands and thousands of words, but not a single
image did I find. An incredible number of multi-syllabic words, but no
pictures!

There are some early pictures in Dennis Gabor's Nobel Prize lecture. But no
color and no 3-dimensional holographic images. You cannot very well print
those in a book or on the Internet.

^^-^^ 11:15:00 up 30 days, 21:47, 5 users, load average: 4.04, 4.05, 4.07
Old December 27th 05, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

no_name wrote:

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:

"jj" wrote

[...]

But isn't that what photography is all about, 2-diminsional
representation of a 3-diminsional world?
Old December 27th 05, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format

In article ,
no_name wrote:
Jean-David Beyer wrote:

no_name wrote:
The interesting thing I found is a google search for "Lippman Gabor
images" turns up thousands and thousands of words, but not a single
image did I find. An incredible number of multi-syllabic words, but
no pictures!

There are some early pictures in Dennis Gabor's Nobel Prize
lecture. But no color and no 3-dimensional holographic images. You
cannot very well print those in a book or on the Internet.

But isn't that what photography is all about, 2-diminsional
representation of a 3-diminsional world?

That's not what stereophotography is all about.

--
Brian Reynolds | "It's just like flying a spaceship.
| You push some buttons and see
http://www.panix.com/~reynolds/ | what happens." -- Zapp Brannigan
NAR# 54438 |